MBL
Linkwitz Orion

How do they compare to each to the all-time favorites:

Avalon
Sonus Faber
B&W
JM Labs
Wilson

I'm willing to spend up to about $13,000 for a pair of speakers (used, if necessary). Which direction would you go? I listen mainly to classical and some jazz.

Jun 8, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #2 of 38
You can get a lot of speaker for that kind of money.

I've had Magnepans (which I quite liked), B&Ws and Dynaudios. I just got some Aerial 7s and, without doubt, they are the most stunning speakers I've every owned. I may have heard something that sounded better in someone elses' system but I have become a complete convert to the Aerial Sound: without the screens on, slightly forward but big, full, accurate, imposing and naturally imaging.

Quote:

Originally Posted by seacard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm interested in the following speakers:

Sound Lab
Quad
Magnepan
MBL
Linkwitz Orion

How do they compare to each to the all-time favorites:

Avalon
Sonus Faber
B&W
JM Labs
Wilson

I'm willing to spend up to about $13,000 for a pair of speakers (used, if necessary). Which direction would you go? I listen mainly to classical and some jazz.

Jun 8, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #3 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by catachresis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can get a lot of speaker for that kind of money.

I've had Magnepans (which I quite liked), B&Ws and Dynaudios. I just got some Aerial 7s and, without doubt, they are the most stunning speakers I've every owned. I may have heard something that sounded better in someone elses' system but I have become a complete convert to the Aerial Sound: without the screens on, slightly forward but big, full, accurate, imposing and naturally imaging.

The Aerial 20T is definitely on the short list of my favorite speakers. In fact, they are one of the best "conventional" speaker I've heard, right up there with the Avalon Eidolon Diamond. (Of course there are higher end "dream" speakers that are probably better that I haven't listened to -- Von Schweikert VR11, Sonus Faber Stradivari, Wilson WAMM, JM Labs Grande Utopia Be, Marten Coltrane, all those crazy horn-based systems Acapella, Avantgarde, Magico, etc.) But I've read that MBLs are something incredible and are just better than a traditional speaker can be. I've also heard that the Linkwitz Orion (at around $7K) is better than anything in 10x its price. Just curious what others thought?

Jun 8, 2007 at 1:04 PM Post #5 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Linkwitz Orions are amazing, but then again your other choices are also very amazing. the avalons don't seem to be in your price range, though.

I can get a used Eidolon for about $13K. But of course, while I may be willing to do it, I'd much rather spend a lot less on an equally great speaker.

Jun 8, 2007 at 3:08 PM Post #6 of 38
You may also want to consider the Precide Kithara if youre looking for alternative tech speakers.

Jun 8, 2007 at 4:17 PM Post #7 of 38
Most of those expensive speakers on your list have HUGE hidden costs in terms of amplification or other needs.

Immense amplification needs:

Sound Lab
Magnepan
MBL--I would NOT go MBL route unless you are prepared to get humongous MBL amps also.
Linkwitz Orion--I know they recommend cheap amps, but I wouldn't. Then you require tri-amplification with "good" amps..

Quads--depends on which vintage Quads. Old Quads (57, 63, 63ESL, etc) must be rebuilt, but even then have severe dynamic limitations. Newer Quads IMO are overpriced but still good without a huge amplification need. However, if you loved the likes of Aerial, Avalon, etc, you are likely going to miss what good dynamic speakers can do.

"How do they compare to each to the all-time favorites:

Avalon
Sonus Faber
B&W
JM Labs
Wilson"

This all depends on which specific model of the line you are referring to. Most on the list IMO are way overpriced, and I would personally look for an alternative that are great but cost less. For example, I would take Usher BE10 (or 20) all over any Wilson or B&W of similar size, at much lower price. YMMV IMHO all that jazz
smily_headphones1.gif

be10lt3.jpg

P.S. Edgarhorn Titans with Hornsub should also be on the list. Here's one speaker I think is actually UNDERPRICED. A high quality, but NOT pricy, 2 watt amp is way plenty. Also, ultimately you may not end up with "single-driver" speaker, but some of the best in the genre should be at least tried before making a final decision IMO.

titansr8.jpg

Jun 8, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #8 of 38
Thanks Jon, that's very helpful.

Given that I have a smaller room (17 x 15 with 8 foot celings), I am leaning towards not only staying away from some of the larger speakers that need more space (even though my room is open at the front, so some sound will escape), but also lowering my budget a bit and buying from a dealer to get a warranty.

Do you have any thoughts on:

Sonus Faber Cremona
JM Lab Focal 1027 Be or 1037 Be
Von Schweikert VR-4 SR Mk. II
Thiel 7.2 or 3.7
Revel Ultimate Studio
Usher Dancer
Vandersteen Quatro
Linkwitz Orion

Something else that I can get in the $7,500 - $8,000 range?

Jun 9, 2007 at 10:21 AM Post #9 of 38
I don't suppose you have condisered horns, such as Avantgarde uno?

smr_ces_246.jpg

They are quite an amazing live sounding speaker and you can use nice little tube amps.

p.s. I have heard the J.M LAB Focal 1027 BE. They are a very sexy, kind of silky sounding speaker, perhaps leaning towards slightly warm sounding.

Jun 9, 2007 at 12:07 PM Post #10 of 38

Sonus Faber Cremona
Thiel 7.2 or 3.7
Revel Ultimate Studio
Usher Dancer
Vandersteen Quatro
Linkwitz Orion

Something else that I can get in the $7,500 - $8,000 range?[/QUOTE]

Nothing to add to that list but I like the Orion and the Usher best of that lot. The VR-4 is also an excellent speaker but only if you get a good deal on it.

Jun 9, 2007 at 5:07 PM Post #11 of 38
Quote:

Given that I have a smaller room (17 x 15 with 8 foot celings), ..

Sonus Faber Cremona
Thiel 7.2 or 3.7
Revel Ultimate Studio
Usher Dancer
Vandersteen Quatro
Linkwitz Orion

I'll just say VSA VR4 SR MkII is NOT the VSA speaker to buy, especially after the recent price hikes. If you want to go with VSA in your size room, I would go for a used VR4 Jr or older VR4 III, etc.

Avantgarde speakers are pretty nice-sounding, Except all the models with those conventional woofers sound seriously incoherent at the x-over point, much like earlier Martin Logan hybrids. I personally would not be able to get over that flaw long-term. You *could* get the Avantgarde basshorns, but the price they are charging is criminal IMHO. Those horns ARE plastic after all...

I would strike Quattro off the list as well. Even Mr. Vandersteen himself has called it a mistake. Vandy 5A's are very nice but surprisingly finicky about the amp driving them to reach actual greatness IMO.

I don't think anyone's really been able to seriously demo new Thiel's, but the bigger ones will be too much for your room. In fact, for your room, the older 2.2 might be the ticket. All Thiels require tremendous amps, but 2.2's are better in this regard and sound wonderful if fed correctly. In fact, I prefer 2.2 to VSA 4 Jr's head-to-head.

One can't over-emphasize the importance of what amps one would need for each speaker. I truly believe deep in my heart that a well-designed 2-10 wpc single-ended amp around $1000-2000 used will get to the heart of the music much better than big, hot $10K+ amps you will need for the "normal" speakers.

I would personally get a terrific low-power amp, and for your room size, get something like Edgarhorn Slimline Signatures. You *could* use the box sub from Edgarhorn, which blends much better with mains than Avantgarde's BTW, but I would personally buy a Edgarhorn Hornsub in basic finish (Much cheaper) and paint it myself. Slimlines Signatures + Hornsub is very, very close to the Titan II + Hornsub, and may even be better for your room size.

edgarslimlinesigtu3.jpg

Jun 9, 2007 at 5:30 PM Post #12 of 38
Quote:

Given that I have a smaller room (17 x 15 with 8 foot celings), I am leaning towards not only staying away from some of the larger speakers that need more space (even though my room is open at the front, so some sound will escape), but also lowering my budget a bit and buying from a dealer to get a warranty.

The VR4 JR's might be a little too much speaker for a room that size (that and they are not very refined sounding, more for the head banger crowd IMO).

I love the Maggies too, but again, maybe too large of a speaker for that room unless you get a smaller model, but then you won't have the ribbon tweeter that I really like.

How about Merlin VSM or the TSM with a sub? I have owned both and they are great.

I can also recommend the Acoustic Zen Adagio.
I recently heard a pair of these at a friend's house and ordered a pair a couple days later since I was so impressed. Amazing imaging, almost perfect tonal balance, great looking cabinets, and not too expensive.

BTW, in case anyone is interested my Merlin TSM-MMe + Osiris stands will be for sale soon. The Adagio's will be here Tuesday and the Merlins will be up for grabs shortly after.

Jun 9, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #13 of 38
I use Maggie 3.6R's, to maximize their performance, you must have lots of power. The best synergy I have acheived with them is with Audio Research Reference electronics. Placment is crucial, and good speaker cabling a must. Get jumpers that match the cable you have for the external crossovers. Mye stands improve performance as well.

Another speaker I never see on the forum, although rare and yet conventional, are those made by Roy Johnson of Green Mountain Audio. I have known Roy for 25 years, and he is the most dedicated speaker designers I ever met. All models, especially the Europa for the money are well worth auditioning. They are amplifier friendly, but do require proper set up. Just call Roy, he will stay on the phone with you until you get it right.

Jun 9, 2007 at 6:31 PM Post #14 of 38
Have you considered Apogee or other ribbons? I built a pair of full range ribbons about five years back and am still crazy about them. I think they sound terrific with jazz and classical, as well. They take some placement and have their quirks, but they nail vocals, mids and highs like nothing else. Further, I get the same microdetail headphones give. If only the bass were perfect... but a decent sub helps a lot.

Jun 9, 2007 at 7:40 PM Post #15 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you considered Apogee or other ribbons? I built a pair of full range ribbons about five years back and am still crazy about them. I think they sound terrific with jazz and classical, as well. They take some placement and have their quirks, but they nail vocals, mids and highs like nothing else. Further, I get the same microdetail headphones give. If only the bass were perfect... but a decent sub helps a lot.

Analysis Audio is manufacturing ribbon speakers that very much look like Apogee models. I have not heard them, but plan to when I come home again. They also claim not to have the horrible impedance problems as the old Apogees, and consequently can be driven my many different amps. The link is:

www.analysisaudiousa.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back