"Alternative" speaker technologies
Jun 13, 2007 at 4:13 PM Post #32 of 38
I have small apogee speakers and I love them. The large apogee speakers are something truly amazing. Considering excellent used prices for them, you an get a really good deal.

Jun 13, 2007 at 4:17 PM Post #33 of 38
As an alternative to expensive speakers that are sold to the regular consumer market, I suggest that you also consider powered nearfield studio monitors. Do a search on head-fi for posts by Lloyd297, and by me, regarding JBL6328P studio monitors. These speakers can be gotten new for about $1,200 each, and IMO, they sound better than speakers that I've heard, that cost 5 - 10 times as much. Other studio monitors that are available, cost a great deal more, and may sound even better, although I haven't heard any of them myself. You'll need to visit pro shops in order to hear such speakers.

Jun 13, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #34 of 38
My personal experience is that allot of what we hear
is the acoustics of the room. For myself if my budget
was 10k I would be looking at tuning my listening area
as much as I would be looking for the perfect speaker.

So much is dependent on the room and dropping that
kind of coin on speakers make sure that the listening
environment is up to scratch. You may already
know this but it is something to keep in mind
when looking for the right speaker.

If you could find some for sale near you and you
have the right room Dunlavy speakers really
impressed me with every thing they did. They are
out of production sadly but they come up for sale
from time to time.

*edit what about the Gallo reference speakers for
an alternate tech based speakers.

Jun 14, 2007 at 2:28 AM Post #35 of 38
If you haven't gone before, you owe it to yourself to check out RMAF 2007. It's a couple months from now, but it's a fun show and an unprecedented opportunity to listen to some great speakers. Right in your back yard, too. Usually you can pick up deals for equipment that was used during the show, as well.

Jun 14, 2007 at 3:07 PM Post #36 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you haven't gone before, you owe it to yourself to check out RMAF 2007. It's a couple months from now, but it's a fun show and an unprecedented opportunity to listen to some great speakers. Right in your back yard, too. Usually you can pick up deals for equipment that was used during the show, as well.

Yup, was there last year. To be perfectly honest, I wasn't that impressed with most of the setups there, even the $100,000 speakers. My favorite at the show was the Aerial 20t.

But last night I got to listen to the Avalon Eidolon. At $25,000, it's probably the best sound I've ever heard. To my ears, it beat speakers at many times its price, including Wilsons and JM Labs. Still can't decide between that one (at around $10,000 + amp) or the Orion (at about $8,000, including power amp).

The Isis was on another level altogether but what's the point of even talking about it at $60,000?

Jun 14, 2007 at 7:44 PM Post #37 of 38
Yeah, I definitely understand. I was particularly disappointed with the Wilson Room. I didn't get a chance to hear the Aerial's, unfortunately.

However, I've also heard ListenUp's Meridian setup, and it floored me. Very emotional presentation. Is that system still under consideration? If so, I might have to invite myself over once you pick them up.

Jun 14, 2007 at 8:33 PM Post #38 of 38
No, after hearing the Avalons, the Meridians have fallen out of favor. Still better than most other speakers I've ever heard, but the Avalons are really a few levels up (as they should be at $20,000 compared to Meridian's $15,000 including amps). And agreed on the Wilson room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back