Alternate balanced (4 pin) headphone connectors?
May 19, 2006 at 9:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Rescue Toaster

100+ Head-Fier
I've seen some people use dual full-size XLR's, and some use special 4-pin (And mini 4-pin) XLR's, but I'm wondering about some other options...

I was thinking about a 9-pin dsub with all but 4 pins removed, or more interestingly (and more compact) a USB or firewire connector?

Anyone ever tried these? I've got some HD600's, and I'll probably be keeping the stock cabling for a little while, just re-do the connector. Eventually I'll probably get something fancier, I just don't want to mess with the special sennheiser plugs just yet.

May 19, 2006 at 10:03 PM Post #2 of 21
I'm a big fan of the 4pin xlr for balanced headphones. The K1000 started the standard, you can get adapters easily to any other type of connection, and you only have 1 reliable connector to deal with normally. That's how I've terminated my HHFs, and my PS3ks were similarly terminated.

May 20, 2006 at 3:15 PM Post #3 of 21
There is no standard at all for this. Personally I think dual 3Pin XLRs is stupid. The only really beneficial one to pick would be the dual TSR plugs, since that would allow you to bridge 2 identical amps and make it balanced without any modifications.

That said 4pin MiniXLRs are where it's at
580smile.gif
They are a very sexy looking plug which doesn't draw attention to itself.

May 21, 2006 at 12:09 AM Post #6 of 21
An officially recognised standard which no one uses is about as usefull as a greenpeace meeting on a japanese whaler. I haven't seen a 5 pin XLR on any commercial amp yet. The headroom amps have dual 3pin XLRs and dual TRS.
That said a 5 pin plug makes sense since it allows you to bring true ground in as well and run the amp single ended via an adapter.

Rescue Toaster Yes that's the switchcraft jack.
the best picture I have unfortunately has the adapter cable attached to it
frown.gif

http://www.garbz.com/amp/rewire/balcon.jpg

May 21, 2006 at 12:23 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbz
An officially recognised standard which no one uses is about as usefull as a greenpeace meeting on a japanese whaler. I haven't seen a 5 pin XLR on any commercial amp yet.

When I was debating this topic for myself, I ran across a few commercial recording equipment using 5-pin XLRs for stereo balanced signals. I can't recall the names but I definately saw more than one type. They weren't used in consumer hi-fi gear but professional recording gear.

In addition, there was a good amount of discussion regarding DIY cabling where members discussed and recommended the use of 5-pin XLR for single-plug stereo balanced cabling (I think it was on Audio Asylum IIRC...).

So it's not as bad as greenpeace on a japanese whaler.
tongue.gif
But you're right, standards without any sort of momentum is useless.

May 21, 2006 at 12:35 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

An officially recognised standard which no one uses is about as usefull as a greenpeace meeting on a japanese whaler. I haven't seen a 5 pin XLR on any commercial amp yet.

odly, the 4-pin has been used on comercial amp(s.)
akg puts the 4-pin on its headphone amps. the k-1000(amp) which was produced for the k-1000's(headphone.)

the 4-pin xlr was also an advertised option for ages, ages ago from akg for their studio headphpones. seeing how akg cables used to be made (with easily disconected hand soldered plugs& everything HAD 4 seperate wires) it is really no trouble to upgrade.

May 21, 2006 at 1:57 PM Post #9 of 21
Lol this just backs up my point. AKG go 4 pin, headroom go 3, pro gear goes 5.
I say one could always build a lot of adapters
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 21, 2006 at 9:35 PM Post #10 of 21
Also, never use a plug design that can be accidentally plugged into something that is not intended for that piece of equipment. For instance a USB or Firewire connector would be a terrible idea - since both connectors have power available in a computer host. It is only a matter of time before someone plugs your headphones into the USB socket on a computer - with 5 volts on one of the pins - possibly frying your headphones.

Personally, I have a set of mini 4 pin XLR plugs and sockets laying about somewhere with the intention of someday playing with balanced. For domestic use they would seem to be the perfect choice, especially with smaller headphones. If I was to go balanced with my HD650s it would almost certainly be a 5 pin XLR.

May 21, 2006 at 10:08 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

I say one could always build a lot of adapters
very_evil_smiley.gif

Yup! But it sure is much easier and prettier to build adapters for 4/5pin single XLR to dual 3-pin XLR rather than the other way around.
tongue.gif

May 21, 2006 at 10:52 PM Post #12 of 21
I'm probably gonna use some USB connectors for the stock HD600 cable, while messing around with a couple different amps on the bench. Neither of my roommates would ever mess with my gear so no worries about an accident. I agree it would be a bad idea for a commercial product or a kit
smily_headphones1.gif

Eventually of course I'm going to polish up one of my amps and recable my HD600's and I'll probably use mini XLR's at that point.

May 22, 2006 at 1:45 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rescue Toaster
I'm probably gonna use some USB connectors for the stock HD600 cable, while messing around with a couple different amps on the bench. Neither of my roommates would ever mess with my gear so no worries about an accident. I agree it would be a bad idea for a commercial product or a kit
smily_headphones1.gif

Eventually of course I'm going to polish up one of my amps and recable my HD600's and I'll probably use mini XLR's at that point.

That would be very interesting, world's first analog USB headphones LOL
tongue.gif

May 24, 2006 at 11:02 PM Post #15 of 21
there are 4 conductor 3.5mm pulgs.

i am curious what would happen if you plugged a 1/4" "stereo" plug wired for balanced/bridged drive into "standard" jack, that represented both l&r... probably nothing good.

at least you really will have a hard time screwing up xlr's or other similar plugs. you will also have to try VERY hard to short pins while you unplug your headphones. this is even an advantage to some single ended topologies that lack output protection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back