Altec Lansing im716 or Panasonic HJE50
Jun 8, 2006 at 4:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

thunder321

New Head-Fier
First of all, the title may be a "little" misleading. :p

I currently have the hje50 and i noticed the deal with the im716 at amazon.com. Personally, I find that the HJE50 has no bass, and weak mids. Sounds a little tinny. I also have a Koss KSC55 which has the same drivers as ksc35/50/75 and although it is very good, i find the sound a little too warm.

Does the im716 has a better sound and mostly, IMPROVEMENTS(!!!) than the HJE50 since I will be listening to the canalphones on the bus quite A LOT. Based on my taste, do you think the im716 is suitable for me? I will be ordering very soon, so ANY comments will be appreciated.

Thank you.

PS. Is the im716 on between the level of the shure e3 and e4?

Jun 8, 2006 at 8:02 AM Post #2 of 12
Come on, guys. I have finished reading most of the posts about the im716 and all i need is a little push in the correct direction
biggrin.gif

Jun 8, 2006 at 12:25 PM Post #3 of 12
very close to both E4 and Er4's............read the searched threads.........PUSH

Jun 10, 2006 at 6:55 PM Post #4 of 12
I have both.

The HJE50's sound very good and are much easier to drive than the IM716's.
The bass is very deep and tight with the HJE50's, some may say there is too much bass. The highs are very clean sounding. If there is a problem some complain that the midrange is a bit recessed, but only a bit.

1-What amp are you using?

2-From what you described, it does not sound as though you are getting a good seal which is all important with the HJE50 and most IEM/canal phones. Try the different rubber tips supplied. Make sure your ears are clean. Another tip is to wet the tips a bit which may help to make the seal tight. Try pushing the HJE50's in a bit deeper into your ear canal. You will notice the bass will improve when you have a tight seal.

Jun 12, 2006 at 1:37 AM Post #5 of 12
Well, I am pretty sure I have a tight seal. I have tried all different sizes of the tips.

I am not using any amp since it is quite unreasonable, for me anyway, to use an amp for an old generic mp3 player and the panasonic hje50 that costs me US$23 bucks (no tax since it was bought in hong kong) a year ago.

Maybe I am spending too much time with my loudspeakers; thus finding no bass with my panasonics.

Does the im716 offer warmer mids and more bass than the panasonic hje50?

Jun 12, 2006 at 2:07 AM Post #6 of 12
I think you're looking for "permission" to get IEMs, which isolate.
etysmile.gif
You're on Head-Fi, so I think we all know what the answer will be -- yes, go ahead and upgrade.

I have the Shure E3C's, and they make a good minimum, but if you can afford the E4C's, get those. If you can't afford the E4C's, get the Altec Lansings or maybe the Etymotics ER-6i's. I think you'll enjoy the isolation and improved sound.

PS: I agree with your assessment of the Panasonics (I haven't tried them amped, but unamped they don't do it for me).

Jun 12, 2006 at 3:05 AM Post #7 of 12
(quote) I find that the HJE50 has no bass, and weak mids. Sounds a little tinny.

This is what tells me you cannot be getting a good seal. I have two paris of HJE50's and they both sound equally good. The bass is deep and tight and compares to my Senn 650's. When the seal is broken, the bass disapears and the highs do sound tinny.

(quote)I also have a Koss KSC55 which has the same drivers as ksc35/50/75 and although it is very good

This tells me you know what sounds good, and you know that the HJE50's do not sound right so somthing is wrong. I am a big fan of the KSC 35 and 75. They sound great with a tube amp that tames the somewhat harsh highs. With a XIN 120 ohm adaptor, they sound evern more coherent and flat

Forget the IM 716's unless you bring big power to drive them, even with the resistor switch that turns them from the 4S to the 4P I think they still need a good amp to get them to sound thier best.

The Koss KSC's and the Pan HJE50 are happy with a portable output.

Don't give up on the HJE50's(unless they are blown which is unlikely) and I think you will be rewarded.

Jun 12, 2006 at 5:15 AM Post #8 of 12
Ah, I finally found out what's the problem. The seal wasn't the problem.

The problem is that I have listened to the panasonic hje50 in a quiet environment...ever, since I only listen to it on the bus and in the classroom when people are talking. I notice the bass now when I am sitting in my room. The bass is tight, but I wouldn't say it is deep. It isn't very apparent though... that probably means the hje50 doesn't provide isolation enough to hear the music completely, for me anyway.
biggrin.gif

Does the tri-flange(spelling?) of the im716 offer more isolation than the rubber sleeves of the hje50? I know the foam definitely does.

Jun 12, 2006 at 5:34 AM Post #9 of 12
^ Sitting right next to a noisy and damn loud vacuum cleaner w/ my triflanges makes the noise down to a whisper...

Jun 15, 2006 at 11:42 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by thunder321
Does the tri-flange(spelling?) of the im716 offer more isolation than the rubber sleeves of the hje50? I know the foam definitely does.

Yes, the iM716s are true IEMs, not canal phones, and go deeper into the ear canal.

With IEMs you will hear almost everything, but attenuated. The foamies and tri-flanges are just like earplugs for construction, etc. Those guys need to still hear, but the noise levels are reduced. But once you start up the music, you won't hear anything- so be careful.

Lots of people talk about microphonics, that is the vibrations of the cable transmitted into the ear. Again, when the music is off, it can be annoying, but when the music is on, the sound from the microphonics (which doesn't change with volume) gets pretty much drowned out.

Jun 16, 2006 at 12:46 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jSatch
But once you start up the music, you won't hear anything- so be careful.

I wish somebodoy warned me about this before falling asleep on the bus!
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back