Altec Lansing IM716 filters the same as ER4?
Jun 20, 2006 at 4:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

tbonner1

Headphoneus Supremus
Has anyone tried to replace the Altec Lansing filters with either ETY ER4 or ER6I filters?

I am worried that either Altec will drop the IM716 line or Ety will no longer supply them. I have called and emailed Altec for technical support and I can tell you they are not interested in provideing good service to their customers.

Jun 20, 2006 at 9:08 PM Post #3 of 15
While the same tips fit iM716 as ER-6i - it in no way is an indicator that er-6i filters will work at all. If you look at both filters they are totally different. All of mine are doing just fine, so I'm not going to ruin a filter just for the sake of proving or disproving fit. It is a totally valid question

Jun 20, 2006 at 10:27 PM Post #4 of 15
The filters of the iM716 are probably bigger... But I don't know for sure.

Don't worry, because the iM716 will eventually become obsolete and replaced by another pair of 'phones in the next year or year in a half or so.

Oh yea, just noticed the head-fi picture on the top-left part of the page--it changed. When did that happen?

Jun 21, 2006 at 1:12 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by vYu223
Don't worry, because the iM716 will eventually become obsolete and replaced by another pair of 'phones in the next year or year in a half or so.

I highly doubt that. There are people who don't buy new equipment just because of changing fashions on a message board, after all. A good pair of headphones now is, amazingly enough, still a good pair of headphones a year from now!

As for replacement filters, Altec sells them for $15/6, including shipping. They get to you quickly and come packaged in cute little centrifuge tubes. I bought 12, which I expect to last a while even though my first ones died within a month. If I get any sense that they're going to stop supporting these things, I'll probably buy another 120 filters...

Jun 21, 2006 at 1:19 AM Post #6 of 15
Hmmm, maybe you're right. Maybe I should start hoarding filters as a squirrel does his nuts before winter.

Jun 21, 2006 at 1:59 AM Post #7 of 15
Good idea to stock up on the Altec filters and the tips while we can. The price is a bit lower on the Altec site, and includes shipping, than the price of the ETY's.

I was hoping that since there had been much writen about compatable tips from other vendors that someone had by now tried the ETY(either ER4 or ER6I) filters to see if they fit.

TIP
I have found the filters seem to wick any liquid if you try to clean the tips without removing them from the earphones and sound clogged. I no longer try to save the step of removing the tips when I clean them.

I feel like we got a great bargain with the $69(today $109) price from Amazon in the world of $150-$180 IEM's.

However, I have had horrible customer service from Altec Lansing. They have provided mis-information regarding almost every technical support question I have posed. The customer support people have given me incorrect information regarding almost everything from impedence specifications, efficiency to what the switch does on the volume control. I would understand if they did not know, and tried to find the answer. But when I call each time they merely spout some answer that comes to them in an attempt to get the call closed. When you ask for a more precise answer I get an attitude. The last time I asked about the filters he said they did not sell them. I had to inform the person that they were listed on the Altec website.

I have had bad customer service in the computer industry over the years, but Altec Lansing is the worst. They need to take a lesson from Ultimate Ears who are among the best.

Jun 21, 2006 at 6:34 AM Post #8 of 15
iM716 filter is diff frm Er6i and Er4...

Oct 15, 2006 at 6:57 AM Post #9 of 15
Hi,
This is my first post in this forum and I am from Singapore(same forum as theory_87).

Anyone from US/Canada/US Virgin Islands/Puerto Rico could help me order some filter tips for the IM716?

Altec Lansing do not accept online orders placed from other countries except for the countries stated above.

I would be willing to pay you by credit card or paypal.
You can ship to my Singapore address or a US address which will ship to Singapore.

Thanks for reading.

Oct 15, 2006 at 7:25 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by dle4e_2005
Hi,
This is my first post in this forum and I am from Singapore(same forum as theory_87).

Anyone from US/Canada/US Virgin Islands/Puerto Rico could help me order some filter tips for the IM716?

Altec Lansing do not accept online orders placed from other countries except for the countries stated above.

I would be willing to pay you by credit card or paypal.
You can ship to my Singapore address or a US address which will ship to Singapore.

Thanks for reading.

maybe you'll like to have a meet up with me or what ever means so i can teach you how to make own filter... i'm using my DIY filter now... but i'm a little busy recently...

Oct 15, 2006 at 12:13 PM Post #11 of 15
Unfortunately, only the filters from Altec Lansing will fit...........of course re tips - the Comply foamies and Shure Softlex work beautifully. My personal daily tip of choice is using Shure Softflex with them.

Oct 15, 2006 at 2:05 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy
Unfortunately, only the filters from Altec Lansing will fit...........of course re tips - the Comply foamies and Shure Softlex work beautifully. My personal daily tip of choice is using Shure Softflex with them.

same here. but i'm switching to shure triflange modded after i soften them...

Oct 15, 2006 at 6:15 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by tbonner1
However, I have had horrible customer service from Altec Lansing. They have provided mis-information regarding almost every technical support question I have posed. The customer support people have given me incorrect information regarding almost everything from impedence specifications, efficiency to what the switch does on the volume control. I would understand if they did not know, and tried to find the answer. But when I call each time they merely spout some answer that comes to them in an attempt to get the call closed. When you ask for a more precise answer I get an attitude. The last time I asked about the filters he said they did not sell them. I had to inform the person that they were listed on the Altec website.

I have had bad customer service in the computer industry over the years, but Altec Lansing is the worst. They need to take a lesson from Ultimate Ears who are among the best.

Yup, Altec has a lot of products and is therefore more comparable with the likes of Panasonic than UE or Ety, which are focused on a single product line. Ever try to contact Panasonic?

At least Altec doesn't make the drivers.

Oct 15, 2006 at 6:17 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by theory_87
maybe you'll like to have a meet up with me or what ever means so i can teach you how to make own filter... i'm using my DIY filter now... but i'm a little busy recently...

Please tell us, how do you make the filters?

Jan 18, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #15 of 15
Etymotic Research don't make the ety8 anymore, but they still sell spares. The filters for the ety8 I'm fairly sure fit the Altec Lansing Im716 and Im616 earphones. You can check with Etymotic, but I just bought some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back