Alright you nerds, guide me...
Dec 26, 2005 at 5:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 64

MINX3030

New Head-Fier
Hey everybody! After spending 80% of my free time over the past 3 weeks reading this forum and reviews all over the internet, I just now decided that I'd better just sign up and ask my questions directly...

Obviously, I'm here because I'm looking for a great pair of headphones. I purchased the HD 280 Pros, and I decided they're not what I'm looking for. I found them to be a bit *too* closed. They felt tight on my ears, and the sound wasn't as sharp as wanted. I sold them to my dad and am trying to decide what my next move should be...

I am new to all of this, and I haven't really mastered the lingo quite yet, so please forgive me if I sound ridiculous in trying to describe what I'm looking for...

I listen to a lot of alt-country (Songs: Ohia, My Morning Jacket, Bonnie "Prince" Billy) and a lot of metal (Opeth, Agalloch, Mare, Pelican, Isis), proggy stuff (Rush, Porcupine Tree, Camel, Aphrodite's Child). What I'm looking for is a pair of headphones that will allow me to hear the details. I want to be able to hear vocal and instrumental intricacies very precisely. I just...I want to hear everything! Distinctly! I'd prefer it not to be at the cost of other things... I'd like it to sound cohesive, but not fuzzy. I thought the 280s would be a good entry point for me (and they were super cheap!), but the sound just seemed "muddled". Listening to them I find myself leaning forward, pressing the cups (already tight on my head) to my ears, trying to get "closer" to the sound... Turning the volume up didn't help- and I am REALLY concerned about hearing loss, so I dont want to have to turn them up way loud to achieve the sound I'm looking for.

Also- I have no idea what the heck any of you are talking about with cables and amps and all that. I would like to know what the purpose of these seemingly necessary accessories (ha!) are, and suggestions for what goes best with which cans. Also, this is going to sound so dumb, but...what you plug the amp in to? I listen to music mostly on my iBook G4 or my iPod... I'll be living in my own apt. next year and I figured it would be better to wait until then to buy a nice stereo system, so that's all I have right now on which to listen to music.

Since I started with Senns, I know most about the Senn line. As of now I am looking at the HD 595s. They seem good to me, esp. considering the price. Speaking of price, I'd say I'd be willing to drop between $300 and $350 on a good set of cans and whatever cables/amps I need to get the best out of the cans I buy (I'd prefer to spend less though, of course). I am definitely open to other brands than Sennheiser though, if it's going to give me the kind of sound I want! I don't want to "waste" the intricacies of top o' the line on my untrained ear (I can wait for the very VERY VERRRRY best!), but I also don't want to have to get a new pair of cans in 3 months when I realize there's just stuff I'm not getting on the ones I bought! As I said, the most important thing to me is detail...

Thanks in advance for all your help. I'm really looking forward to years and years of throwing all my money into the rathole that is audiophilia!
580smile.gif
(I'm just joking, kids, I know it's alllllll worth it!)

ps- i'm also planning on getting an inexpensive pair of closed headphones to travel with, so if you have any suggestions for that, please let me know. i was thinking maybe some sonys or something...

Dec 26, 2005 at 5:24 AM Post #2 of 64
That's kind of a tough call.

The HD595 are engaging and detailed, capable of handling all the styles of music you've listed there (I know, I've tried 'em with the every single one of the same bands exactly minus the alt country).

The HD600, while differing in presentation, would likely give you more treble detail and different midrange characteristics, while still outputting enough bass to satisfy.

The Grados are colored but good, if you like the sound check out the SR225.

Dec 26, 2005 at 5:31 AM Post #3 of 64
What I have learned in the past month I have been on here is that you should not base your conclusion on a headphone during the first few hours/days. Most headphones sound considerably better after 100+ hours of play time. But still, if you have the money, why not
580smile.gif

If you have a place to try out these headphones, I'd go and try the Senn 595 and 580 and see which one you like better. They are fairly similar, and your preference could go either way.

Dec 26, 2005 at 5:31 AM Post #4 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotJeffBuckley
That's kind of a tough call.

The HD595 are engaging and detailed, capable of handling all the styles of music you've listed there (I know, I've tried 'em with the every single one of the same bands exactly minus the alt country).

The HD600, while differing in presentation, would likely give you more treble detail and different midrange characteristics, while still outputting enough bass to satisfy.

The Grados are colored but good, if you like the sound check out the SR225.

thanks for your reply!
i dont know of any place where I could try them out though, is the only problem. If I bought a couple pair from amazon, could i return the ones I don't want? I read through their return policy and it didn't say anything in their return specifications about headphones, but I know that most other online vendors (and ebay vendors) will NOT accept returns on headphones.

Dec 26, 2005 at 5:31 AM Post #5 of 64
zOMG its a girl! pic pics pics?...j/k.. (a little spoiled from rx7club..sorry guys). ok nothing to see here move on everyone move on. btw how long have you been listening to the 280s?

Dec 26, 2005 at 5:32 AM Post #6 of 64
My recommendation is a pair of Alessandro Grado MS1 headphones available for $99. They are not closed phones (it sounds like you are looking more for closed/sealed phones) but these phones get you really close to the music. The sound of the MS1 is perfect for all the genres you mentioned you listen too. I recommend the MS1 because it's the cheapest grado available that is "tamed" in the high frequency's but it still has that awesome impact of grado phones. At first, these phones will probably be a little uncomfortable to wear for extended amount of time but after a couple weeks the head band should loosen up and ears will become accustomed to the feel. As far as amping goes, the MS1 has sounded fantastic out of almost everything I've heard audio through without an amp. If you wanted to get an amp you might want to look at the gilmore lite. The gilmore lite is pretty pricey brand new but you can probably find it used on head-fi for less than $300.
Happy hunting

Dec 26, 2005 at 5:35 AM Post #7 of 64
Hi MINX3030,

biggrin.gif
Don't really want to add to your confusion, have you considered Sony's SA5000? Non-fuzzy, detailed, and forward sound just the way you want it.

Overlunge

p.s. The usual greeting: Welcome to Head-fi, sorry about your wallet. (If it's not already struggling after Christmas.
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

Dec 26, 2005 at 5:35 AM Post #8 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by MINX3030
ps- i'm also planning on getting an inexpensive pair of closed headphones to travel with, so if you have any suggestions for that, please let me know. i was thinking maybe some sonys or something...

EGGOS!!
"Sony MDR-D66SL"
audiocubes sells them
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 26, 2005 at 5:37 AM Post #9 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by SayNoToPistons
zOMG its a girl! pic pics pics?...j/k.. (a little spoiled from rx7club..sorry guys). ok nothing to see here move on everyone move on. btw how long have you been listening to the 280s?

definitely over 100 hours. i gave them ample time!

and what the hell-- www.myspace.com/holdthattiger

Dec 26, 2005 at 5:43 AM Post #10 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by overlunge
Don't really want to add to your confusion, have you considered Sony's SA5000? Non-fuzzy, detailed, and forward sound just the way you want it.

X2. I completely agree on the SA5000 suggestion because of what you listen to and what you are looking for in the sound.

-Alex-

Dec 26, 2005 at 5:45 AM Post #11 of 64
Only at Head-Fi could be all be called nerds, and not even react to it. Instead, we give you the, "Well, acccccctually, that was a very good question, Theo" types of responses. Or is it Lionell?

Don't mind me... I'm a bit Santa'd out! It has been a long month, and I'm ready to send everything to the dry cleaners and box it all up until next year.

Dec 26, 2005 at 5:48 AM Post #12 of 64
I never liked my HD 280s either. Too cold. Of course, naturally, I declare that you join Team Beyer! Perhaps a pair of 250-80? Or my Flavor of the Month, the 770-80!

Dec 26, 2005 at 6:04 AM Post #13 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
Only at Head-Fi could be all be called nerds, and not even react to it. Instead, we give you the, "Well, acccccctually, that was a very good question, Theo" types of responses. Or is it Lionell?

Don't mind me... I'm a bit Santa'd out! It has been a long month, and I'm ready to send everything to the dry cleaners and box it all up until next year.

The title was only meant to be a charming little eye-catcher! I meant no offense at all. I aspire to be super-nerd level in a year or so :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back