Alright, who here has ordered Sensa's or UE's in the last month?
May 5, 2004 at 9:12 PM Post #61 of 74
Just thought I'd add this.

I know they were some posts earlier refering to Sherry at Ultimate Ears and her "lack of knowledge" about the competition. I was speaking with her today firming up my order, and she was incredibly helpful. She's Mindy's mother, and merely "backs up" Mindy when it gets busy. So it's probably a little unrealistic to expect her to have the knowledge Mindy does about the business. Both of them are extremely helpful and will definitely do good by you.

I haven't spoke to the folks at Sensaphonics, but I would assume they would be just as helpful as well.

As far whether these are necessary. Is any of it really necessary? To me, the definition of being an audiophile is "squeezing" every bit of musical sound quality out of the resources you have that you can devote to "the chase", be it money or equipment. It's not compromising much of anything for better sound quality. For me, it's saying to myself "I HAVE to hear it."

You don't have to have, stereotypically speaking the best rig out there, not by any means; you just need to care a great deal about the music and how it sounds. And if that means buying a relatively expensive of IEMs for portable use, so be it.
very_evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

My UE-10's arrive this Saturday.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 5, 2004 at 9:20 PM Post #62 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by toaster22
my post on page 2 of this thread addressed this issue.

The UE 7 and 10 are both available with the "full soft option," while UE 5 is not.

You were quite right, Toaster. I did not realize that all of the UE IEMs were available with the Full-Soft with the exception of the UE-5C. I was wandering aorund their site a bit and found the overall price list which I had not seen before. Tack $50 onto any IEM for the softer exterior to the acrylic. The UE-5 PRO and Ambient models CAN be ordererd with the Full-Soft. I am guessing that the white casing on the UE-5C prevents them from offering the "upgrade".

May 6, 2004 at 2:25 AM Post #63 of 74
cmascatello -- Just wanted to let you know that when I spoke to UE they said that the UE7Pro is tuned for live performing artists, as is the 5 pro. The UE5c is tuned specifically for recorded music, and UE10 is intended to serve both audiences. As for the soft option I don't think it has to do with the "white casing" -- the UE5c is available in the same infinite color choices as all the others -- I think they may just be trying to keep costs down for that model and by limiting choice on some level they may be able to do that.

And yes as for the poster concerningcomments about Sherri well yes she is Mindy's (the President) Mom and she is a delight to deal with! Very helpful and kind. As for responsiveness the company is simply awesome. My question is if you finalized your order today how on earth are you getting them as early as Saturday????? Did you throw even more money at em or what? WHAT am I doin wrong????

Finally as for this "why spend the money" thang -- yes I get that. That's why I didn't go as high end (UE10) as I might have. (price/value, intended use, etc.) But now I'll always want to know what they sounded like -- like I said before, like an itch you can't scratch. What makes this stuff unique in the audio world is that with these custom earphones you can't try them out first! At least with other audio equipment you can decide before you buy (a) if the price difference is worth it to you and (b) if you can even HEAR the difference! Face it, with these custom phones you're buying on spec and faith and the kindness of strangers who give us their impressions about how it all sounds. And it's so subjective anyway!

I think as long as you can make rent, not have to sell drugs to make ends meet, and (very important!) can in fact hear the difference, it's ok to decide to spend money on one's passion(s) in life. And it's also ok not to spend the money, or even (as in my case) to make a judgement call and go halfway there, even if you have the money to go all the way.

But it is important that you can hear the difference. I once worked with guy whose home setup was McIntosh etc(the high end audio company, not the computer). He had spend a gazillion on his speakers but had put them briefly in storage boxes in his basement pending a move to another apartment. Somehow some water got in the basement and dampened the speaker boxes. When he listened to them again he could hear no difference from before -- but he replaced them anyway! What he said to me was "What if there really is a difference now but I just can't hear it?" To which I replied "Well, isn't that the point? If you can't hear the difference then why worry about it?" And he said "How can you even SAY that!!! I'm gettin new ones!!!"

Now to me, that's excessive. That's just being a spec-chaser! But man if you can hear it and you don't mind spending to get it just right for your own ears well then hell I say go for it!

Sorry for being so long-winded
biggrin.gif

May 6, 2004 at 4:22 PM Post #65 of 74
Ohh nice. UE-10 Pro. That's the one I am planning to get now. I like the UE-5C, but it may actually be a bit bassy in comparison to the balanced UE-10 Pro. I do not want boomy bass.

All I can do is to look at the freq resp plots, so it looks like the E5C is bassier.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slimm
Just thought I'd add this.

I know they were some posts earlier refering to Sherry at Ultimate Ears and her "lack of knowledge" about the competition. I was speaking with her today firming up my order, and she was incredibly helpful. She's Mindy's mother, and merely "backs up" Mindy when it gets busy. So it's probably a little unrealistic to expect her to have the knowledge Mindy does about the business. Both of them are extremely helpful and will definitely do good by you.

I haven't spoke to the folks at Sensaphonics, but I would assume they would be just as helpful as well.

As far whether these are necessary. Is any of it really necessary? To me, the definition of being an audiophile is "squeezing" every bit of musical sound quality out of the resources you have that you can devote to "the chase", be it money or equipment. It's not compromising much of anything for better sound quality. For me, it's saying to myself "I HAVE to hear it."

You don't have to have, stereotypically speaking the best rig out there, not by any means; you just need to care a great deal about the music and how it sounds. And if that means buying a relatively expensive of IEMs for portable use, so be it.
very_evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

May 6, 2004 at 5:10 PM Post #66 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slimm

smily_headphones1.gif

It seems that this jackass' definition of being an audiophile is also "squeezing" every cent he can out of the good people at Head-Fi to fund his habits (headphones, drugs, other). His system must sound like ass when you consider that he has no real resources of his own to devote to the "chase".
I think we all can agree the Slimm/Bill/WillaimGoody compromised common decency over the past year...

Someone should call UE and track down where these UE-10s are being delivered and show up with the authorities (or thugs, your choice) instead.

http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=71696
http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/show...74&page=3&pp=25
http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/show...ht=williamgoody
http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/show...highlight=Slimm

May 6, 2004 at 6:34 PM Post #67 of 74
cmascatello, some of the posted links didn't work, becuase you copy'n pasted the shortened version of the displayed links.

Anyway... this is certainly an unexpected turn of events...

May 6, 2004 at 8:46 PM Post #70 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by ama
Don't say anything to harsh or threatening. Laibel and threats of bodily are crimes just as stealing is.

It can't be libel if the statements are true (see the threads and number of wronged Head-Fi'ers). And the line about thugs was an expression meant to bring some humor to those who have had money and goods bilked by that jackass...

I am a fan of humor. Things along the likes of the following: Another crime would be the typos and spellings in your post.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
(I'm kidding.)

May 6, 2004 at 8:56 PM Post #71 of 74
I'd appreciate if somebody could explain what Slimm/etc./etc. did in the past... I don't quite get it...

As an interesting side effect, having my ear impressions taken prompted me to set up a full visit with an audiologist. So... Head-Fi is good for the health of your ears!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 6, 2004 at 9:03 PM Post #72 of 74
He scammed more than a dozen memebers of cash and items over the past 9 months using 3 different IDs here at Head-Fi. Basically, he was playing a bait and switch game in the forums. Also, he was apparently "Short"-ing the items (selling what he didn't have in the hopes of buying it cheaper after he had a buyer on his end) and got caught a number of times. He used UPS/USPS shipping issues as his excuse. His most recent "liquidation" sale in the Headphone Sellers forum had prices that were so low it was ridiculous -- I'll let you decide if he has any of the items listed or if this was a quick cash scheme...

May 6, 2004 at 9:11 PM Post #73 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmascatello
It can't be libel if the statements are true (see the threads and number of wronged Head-Fi'ers). And the line about thugs was an expression meant to bring some humor to those who have had money and goods bilked by that jackass...

I am a fan of humor. Things along the likes of the following: Another crime would be the typos and spellings in your post.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
(I'm kidding.)

Yes the typos are most unfortunate; I have been awake for the last 56 hours though and have no patience for spell check...I was merely warning people not to take their anger out to vehemently lest they come to commit a crime unknowingly. Humor is always good though!

May 6, 2004 at 9:21 PM Post #74 of 74
No worries! My spelling and punctuation are abyssmal most of the time (those who live in glass houses and all that...) and can certainly relate to what it is like when in the midst (or tail end) of some no-sleep stretches. Hopefully you are at the end of your marathon.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back