Alright, who here has ordered Sensa's or UE's in the last month?
May 4, 2004 at 10:09 PM Post #32 of 74
HRA -- just noticed your PS. Don't worry about any bubbles -- I listened to a lot of higher end speakers too and while they were amazing you do gotta draw the line somewhere! Yes in the broader scheme of things my house audio rig is considered "entry-level high end" -- scary, isn't it? There's simply no end to how much you can spend on this stuff! (I do love those speakers though, even if they ARE cheapies!)
tongue.gif

May 4, 2004 at 10:10 PM Post #33 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by HRA
P.S. Unfortunately 18 grand doesn't buy anything near the best of the speakers that are out there....sorry to burst your bubble.

What about this?

May 4, 2004 at 10:19 PM Post #34 of 74
Maybe this has been discussed in other threads on these, but one thing that keeps occurring to me as I read about them is what about resale on these? What if you get your expensive custom mold, your $900 ear phones.... and you don't like them? Seems like with an Ety at least you can always sell to someone else. Seems like once these have been molded to your ears, their yours ("ya mold it, ya buy it"
orphsmile.gif
). Anyone concerned about that with such a big investment?
confused.gif

May 4, 2004 at 10:25 PM Post #35 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by ampgalore
How much would it cost to get a pair of top of the line speakers?

On a side note, what do you people do for a living? I can buy a new car at these prices.

I believe that a used set of K-horns can be had on Ebay for around $2200, a veritable bargain! There's truly nothing quite like Paul Klispsch's magnificent horns.

May 4, 2004 at 10:37 PM Post #37 of 74
Thank you markl -- you are right and that makes me feel better about not being TOO extravagant by going with the UE5c and not the UE10. Cuz if I hate em I won't be able to get rid of em except at a landfill.

Somehow I doubt I will hate them though! At least that's my hope!

May 4, 2004 at 10:39 PM Post #38 of 74
Forget resale value.. you can't resell them, period. You cannot get them remolded or reshaped... the person receiving it would have to take out some knifes and try to cut and reshape them or something (yeah, right)...

Whatever investment you made into them, it is done, you're not getting it back.

Addressing the "horsey-looking".. I suppose you mean they look like horse-shoes? They'll always look like that. The custom molded earphones has two parts that sort "stick out"... one is the portion that reaches into the canal, the other is the portion that fits into the upper-empty area of your ear.. so it secures it in your ear by holding both the top and the bottom.

Triple-driver doesn't take that much more space.. the drivers are super-small anyway... Which makes me wonder.. are the drivers in the 2X-S and UE the same size? Are UE10-Pro using different sized bass drivers?

May 4, 2004 at 11:03 PM Post #39 of 74
By "horsey-looking" I meant too big and sticking out of your ears more than a dual-driver unit would. Maybe HRA can weigh in on this one.

May 4, 2004 at 11:07 PM Post #40 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by HRA
P.S. Unfortunately 18 grand doesn't buy anything near the best of the speakers that are out there....sorry to burst your bubble.

HRA - i have read some of your recent comments about UE's comfort and all and i thank you for balancing the UE/2-X scale a bit, but comments like this i do not really understand.

i checked back to see if random had said anything about having top of the line speakers, and he did not. he was merely giving an example of how he had no problem spending money on audio. mentioning his speaker purchase did serve as a good example of this.

it's a little obnoxious and patronizing to say things like this. were there a point or an allusion that he had made about having the best speakers in the world than your comment would have been warranted. but this was not the case and saying what you did makes you look pretentious IMO. let's try to relax and stay focused on the issues.

May 5, 2004 at 1:17 AM Post #41 of 74
Dear Random,

Hope I didn't offend you about the 18 grand comment on the speakers. I agree that its a tremendous amount of money for speakers and as you said its only entry level high end...pretty rediculous. On the other hand not worried about offend toaster head....as the comment wasn't meant for him in the first place.

Anyway, to answer your question the UE-5c is simply a wonderful choice. I think UE will sell more of these than all the other models put together. Please remember that being in the business I get to see and own the best of the best....consequently you get spoiled. I would certainly recommend the UE-5c for everyone using it just for iPods, home stereos, portable units, etc. For those professionals that need live monitoring as well the UE-10 would be my choice. You can't imagine how important it is to hear your bandmates when on stage in a stadium of screaming fans and loud speakers...its very difficult for everyone to stay on the beat...that is why it is so important to hear the entire range. By the way, I know several pros that use the UE-5 even though they could easily afford more. I will add this....if you are the type of person that always aspires to have the "best", you will probably want to get the triple driver version sooner or later as you will always wonder if its better.

May 5, 2004 at 1:23 AM Post #42 of 74
Random,

None of the IEM's I own stick out of my ears....they all lay flat with the inside of your outer ear. Most of the IEM's are made to fill that hole up for noise abatement as well....hope that makes sense.

May 5, 2004 at 1:37 AM Post #43 of 74
Is it possible to get the UE5C with the full-soft option like the UE-10? I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. . . The UE-5 FR plot looks better to me (for my tastes) than the UE-10, since the UE-10 has a bit of a bump in the 2-4khz range, which would drive me crazy. The UE-5c, in contrast, has no such bump, plus it has a bit more bass, which is a good thing IMO.

May 5, 2004 at 2:02 AM Post #44 of 74
May 5, 2004 at 2:09 AM Post #45 of 74
Well, that takes them out of the running for me. Too bad because the FR response chart looks almost perfectly suited to my tastes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back