Alright, who here has ordered Sensa's or UE's in the last month?
May 3, 2004 at 11:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 74

Tyson

Headphoneus Supremus
I ordered a pair of Sensaphonics after reading Lindrone's review, and also reading Welly Wu's UE 10 review. Both gave me confidence that canalphones could indeed match up to full sized headphones in almost every category. Who else here has ordered recently, what did you get, and what was the reasoning for your decision?

May 4, 2004 at 12:31 AM Post #2 of 74
I ordered Sensaphonics 2X-S and based the decision on cost, the soft silicone material, and the desire for a custom-fitted IEM for more isolation from the outside world. I am happy so far with them and have not started to wonder how green the grass is on the Ultimate Ears (triple driver!) side of the fence...
biggrin.gif

May 4, 2004 at 1:16 AM Post #3 of 74
I went with the UE-10's.

Part of my decision was the triple driver, but I've found that Welly's impressions of sound are more similar to mine than Lindrone's.

May 4, 2004 at 2:01 AM Post #6 of 74
Picked up my Sensas last week. They're quite comfortable and lovely. I ha them inserted this afternoon for my old guy's nap at a very low volume of course.

For me the decision was simple since I live in the Chicago area. All of the positive attention at the lab was just great.

May 4, 2004 at 2:05 AM Post #7 of 74
joelk -- did you get the newer braided cable or the older, detachable cable version? I went with the old rubberized replaceable cable so that I could have a variety of custom lenghts for various uses if I so desire.

May 4, 2004 at 3:31 AM Post #9 of 74
That was exactly my worry when I ordered. I actually had Sensa add 6" to my detachable cable and it is just long enough for use with a DAP that is in my pants pocket. They do a nice job with the swappable cables -- very sturdy construction and Neutrik connectors on both ends. I will probably end up getting a very small one made in the future for use when I am on a plane or at my desk and only need 24-30" of cable to get to the junction jack.

May 4, 2004 at 11:45 AM Post #10 of 74
As I've written before, I own both Sensa's and UE's. My Sensa's are in a drawer. I've just recieved a new pair of UE-10's. They fit like a fine Italian glove and isolate better than any other IEM I've owned....and I've owned many being in the business. Both companies do a fine job but I give a triple thumbs up to UE as the best of the lot, especially with the UE-10's. By comparison I have the UE-5 pro's as well which I thought were wonderful.

I have no bias towards either company. Both are owned by very nice people doing their best to make a high quality custom product. I will note however that the debate about the silicone soft material in the Sensa's being better than what UE uses is without basis or merit. I say this because I've owned both brands for a long time without any problems.

May 4, 2004 at 11:51 AM Post #11 of 74
HAR, could you do me a favor and reflect on what comfort issues there might/might not be with the Ultrasones?

I ordered the "softer" material, but I'm leaning towards goinf back to the regular material, as I feel it might be a little more durable.

Am I wrong in assuming that?

May 4, 2004 at 1:45 PM Post #12 of 74
If I lived in Nevada, I would have purchased the UE's. For me, the convenience of walking into the facility at Sensaphonics and having the the owner take my impressions outweighed any other possible factors. I’m convinced that we’re dealing with very similar products, and that there’s not the huge difference sonically that folks describe between the Shures and Etys. I must also say that the service has been prompt and exemplary.

The sound is clear and undistorted with a full bass. The Sensaphonics are extremely comfortable and cause no irritation to my ear canals. They more than hold their own in direct comparison to my full-sized Sennheiser 600s, and are my listening device of choice. Well recorded material is heard with startling realism: rosin on bows, conductors humming, pianists singing along for phrasing. This is a superb product.

May 4, 2004 at 4:24 PM Post #13 of 74
I recently received the UE-5C, UE-10, and a Hybrid from Jerry Harvey for comparison purposes. They're the best fitting canal phone I've tried (I've fallen asleep with them in many times) and the sonics are superb. I'm still breaking them in and getting used to them but am consistantly impressed with the sound quality of the 5 and 10. I'm not very fond of the hybrid but do see its application (bass players and drummers)

May 4, 2004 at 4:42 PM Post #14 of 74
Is it safe to assume that you prefer the 10 to the 5? Are yours custom-molded or some sort of universal-fit testers?

FWIW, I fell asleep with the 2X-S in last night and woke up with a medley of Slayer and Iron Maiden playing this AM at 7:15. My ears were in perfect comfort and the ProPhonics kept me from hearing the snoring of my new puppy. Not sure how my brain felt about the music I subjected it to for 6 hours straight.
evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

May 4, 2004 at 5:06 PM Post #15 of 74
Yes I do prefer the 10 to the 5. They are all custom molded. Funny how "Shuffle" seems to play KingsX right after I've dozed off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back