Alright, lets talk amps... I have decided to up the cash!
Jul 3, 2005 at 4:35 AM Post #16 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher

You want tubes? Look no further than the Headroom's Millett, I personally use a maxed out DIY millett and it's a heck of an amp. I can only imagine what Tyll's boys cooked up for theirs.

[EDIT] Just in case anyone doesn't know Head-Fi contributing members get 10% off at Headroom [/EDIT]

Nate: good suggestion! I never considered the millet

Jul 3, 2005 at 5:43 AM Post #17 of 38
PPX vs MPX guys.... come on...
biggrin.gif

Jul 3, 2005 at 3:28 PM Post #18 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazper
Nate: good suggestion! I never considered the millet

Let me tell you, my maxed Millett running a STEPS power supply is starting to make my M3 nervous
eek.gif

And I'm cooking up an interesting DIY comparison soon, a maxed Millett, maxed PPA V2 and maxed M3 shootout. They all cost about the same to build and based on my preliminary listenings do different things well. It'll be fun as heck to have them all hooked up to a switchbox and do direct, semi-blind comparisons.

Nate

Jul 3, 2005 at 3:39 PM Post #19 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
Let me tell you, my maxed Millett running a STEPS power supply is starting to make my M3 nervous
eek.gif

And I'm cooking up an interesting DIY comparison soon, a maxed Millett, maxed PPA V2 and maxed M3 shootout. They all cost about the same to build and based on my preliminary listenings do different things well. It'll be fun as heck to have them all hooked up to a switchbox and do direct, semi-blind comparisons.

Nate

NOOOO

don't tell me that! I LOOOOOVE my m3.. it's soo sweet.. and ... luscious, and ...

Well you get the picture, I really adore the m3, even the 637/627 combo is growing on me.

I don't like valves that much due to the fact they're microphonic and fragile (I would HATE to break an expensive valve)

Jul 3, 2005 at 3:51 PM Post #20 of 38
Might as well email Wei Wu (of WooAudio) and see how close he is to making Woo4. It's supposed to be an integrated headphone/speaker(efficient ones) amp.

Jul 3, 2005 at 4:11 PM Post #21 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey_V
biggrin.gif

The PPX-3 uses a linear power supply, while the MPX-3 uses a regulated power supply. This gives the PPX-3 a "tubier" sound, with a bit more lushness than the rest of the SinglePower line. The tradeoff is that the PPX-3 is not as good as the other amps at picking up very low level ambient detail. Since you specified neutral as one of your parameters, I think the MPX-3 would be the better choice. IMO the MPX-3 is the sweet spot in the SinglePower line, with strong detail retrieval and great dynamics. The PPX is a fun amp that I love a lot, but it will ultimately put limits on a system that the MPX won't. The jump between PPX and MPX is much larger than the jump between the MPX and the higher-end SinglePowers amps, IMO.

I haven't heard the Woo amps. The Headroom GS-1 is a nice solid state amp that impressed me at two recent Head-Fi meets. There were two Dynahi's present at one of the meets, but my personal preference leaned toward the GS-1 (based on very short audition, which doesn't fully reveal an amp, I'd buy a GS-1 over a Dynahi regardless of price. That recommendation should be taken as very shaky, as I didn't have a lot of time with either). I still prefer the MPX-3, though
wink.gif

Jul 3, 2005 at 4:25 PM Post #22 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazper
NOOOO

don't tell me that! I LOOOOOVE my m3.. it's soo sweet.. and ... luscious, and ...

Well you get the picture, I really adore the m3, even the 637/627 combo is growing on me.

I don't like valves that much due to the fact they're microphonic and fragile (I would HATE to break an expensive valve)

Does M3 have op-amp sockets? If so, I HIGHLY recommend trying AD744 in class A mode (use pin 5, break off 6). There's so much more nuance, resolution, purity available than 637/627..

Jul 3, 2005 at 4:29 PM Post #23 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey_V
biggrin.gif

You may want to consider something in between such as the PPX SLAMM. It retails for $799 and the 6SN7 upgrade is $50. You can roll the 6SN7 to get the sound you truly want.

Jul 3, 2005 at 4:29 PM Post #24 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by dano1122
One word, Dynahi.
biggrin.gif

Couple of quick questions about Dynahi for you.

What's the max current output, enough for my AKG K1000?

Is there any problems swinging voltage into very high impedance 'phones like my AKG K340 (400 Ohms)?

Can Dynahi be re-wired for "balanced" operation using a 4-pin XLR, for example, for K1000, etc?

I'm seriously considering a "last" SS headamp with enough power for K1000 and K340, but it's a tough road..

Jul 3, 2005 at 7:08 PM Post #25 of 38
Sorry, let me try to answer the quesions enen though i know just a little.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
What's the max current output, enough for my AkG K1000?

For dano's dynahi, the max ouput current is 1.5A, it's enough to drive K1000.

Quote:

Is there any problems swinging voltage into very high impedance 'phones like my AKG K340 (400 Ohms)?

no problem.

Quote:

Can Dynahi be re-wired for "balanced" operation using a 4-pin XLR, for example, for K1000, etc?

Stereo dynahi can't. 4-channel dyanhi can. speaking precisely, any 4-channel amplifier can.

Quote:

I'm seriously considering a "last" SS headamp with enough power for K1000 and K340, but it's a tough road..

There are many SS amplifers here can drive K1000 and K340 with enough power.Try and you'll find the favorite finally.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 3, 2005 at 7:41 PM Post #26 of 38
I have a maxed Millett as well, and parts of it are indistinguishable from the M³, but it is not yet fully burned. I'll let the guys at the Ft Worth meet (July 23) weigh in on the compatison between the two. Were I'd used as good caps on the M³ as on the Millett.

And I haven't even gotten around to tube rolling.

I am with ya, Nate.

Jul 3, 2005 at 8:06 PM Post #27 of 38
If you are at a $1000.00 limit there are 2 used MPX3s for sale here on head-fi and they have a lot of up grades + at least 1 but I think both of them come with premium tubes for some tube rolling fun.

I have a Singlepower MPX3 and can say I love it.

Singlepower also is coming out with a solid state amp which I can say from a good listen at a meet sounds very Ray Samuals HR-2 ish (lush, sounding full of detail and is another good amp that you might want to consider $875.00 from Todd.)

There a lot of fine amps in your price range good luck.

Jul 3, 2005 at 10:55 PM Post #28 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by sft
Sorry, let me try to answer the quesions enen though i know just a little.
smily_headphones1.gif

Stereo dynahi can't. 4-channel dyanhi can. speaking precisely, any 4-channel amplifier can.

There are many SS amplifers here can drive K1000 and K340 with enough power.Try and you'll find the favorite finally.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hmm. Can Stereo Dynahi's ground pin be split to 2 leads to at least technically be wired to 4-pin XLR without burning something down? It won't be "balanced," but K1000 doesn't require 2 separate - runs. Currently I can power K1000 with it's two - runs tied together.

Jul 4, 2005 at 12:20 AM Post #29 of 38
So mpx is more neutral than ppx? Hmm... I'm very interested in the PPX SLAM as sacd_audio and I have been talking about that and he raves about it. Anyone else here know how the PPX SLAM compares to the MPX stock?

Jul 4, 2005 at 1:06 AM Post #30 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
Does M3 have op-amp sockets? If so, I HIGHLY recommend trying AD744 in class A mode (use pin 5, break off 6). There's so much more nuance, resolution, purity available than 637/627..

we're derailing the topic.. but I have ad8610s and they have more "resolution and purity"

point is, however, that I don't mind a bit of warmth, or even order harmonic distortion (which is why we'd use valves and/or mosfets anyhow)

were I to try another opamp it might be the AD797, or perhaps the AD843, but not the AD744.

opamps come down to personal preference, I like the 637, I like the ad8610 for different reasons. For now I've spent enough on opamps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back