Alright, lets talk amps... I have decided to up the cash!
Jul 4, 2005 at 1:18 AM Post #31 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey_V
So mpx is more neutral than ppx? Hmm... I'm very interested in the PPX SLAM as sacd lover and I have been talking about that and he raves about it. Anyone else here know how the PPX SLAM compares to the MPX stock?

For another SLAM opinon give Audio Addict a pm... as he has a SLAM ppx3 specially fitted with a 6sn7 for the gain tube... vs the usual/ standard 6cg7 tube for gain. I dont think you can beat the SLAM at its price point. The amp does everthing well and is so musical and easy to listen to. The mpx3 has a different type of presentation, more relaxed and atmospheric. The SLAM is more upfront and very powerful sounding. I have a SLAM mpx3 on the way and I am especially interested to see how this amp performs.
icon10.gif

Jul 4, 2005 at 1:41 AM Post #32 of 38
The SLAM PPX sounds very VERY interesting. At $799, it is towards the high end of my budget but I could probably swing it.

I will look into that some more... unless others have their opinions of it. Keep posting here. THANKS SACD!
biggrin.gif

SLAM is winning...

I guess I should go PPX SLAM or Woo3 - I guess the stock PPX is out of the running.

If I go for the PPX, might as well put up cash for the SLAM. If not, might as well save money and go Woo3... how does this mentality sound??

Jul 4, 2005 at 6:39 AM Post #33 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
Hmm. Can Stereo Dynahi's ground pin be split to 2 leads to at least technically be wired to 4-pin XLR without burning something down? It won't be "balanced," but K1000 doesn't require 2 separate - runs. Currently I can power K1000 with it's two - runs tied together.

Sure it can.

seems like off-topic, sorry Joey_V.

Jul 4, 2005 at 1:37 PM Post #35 of 38
Quote:

How about Eddie Current's DM prototype? (btw, what is eddie current's site address?)

well, it's still a prototype, so no dice i guess.
frown.gif

oh, and it's www.eddiecurrent.com
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio Addict
You may want to consider something in between such as the PPX SLAMM. It retails for $799 and the 6SN7 upgrade is $50. You can roll the 6SN7 to get the sound you truly want.

i dont think anyone has mentioned this - when choosing amps you might want to consider seriously what sort of tube(s) it uses.

tuberolling is inevitable (and very addictive
very_evil_smiley.gif
) and 6SN7 tube prices are currently, for lack of a better word, stratospheric.

for example, a sought-after matched NOS pair of WW2 vintage 6SN7s can fetch as much as $150-$300(!)
eek.gif

Jul 5, 2005 at 3:53 AM Post #36 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc
very_evil_smiley.gif

for example, a sought-after matched NOS pair of WW2 vintage 6SN7s can fetch as much as $150-$300(!)
eek.gif

Oy.... that is pretty high *cough*.. *choke*!

The one thing I cant get over is the beauty of the WooAudio3... *sigh*... so cute an amp.

Anyway, back to being manly - the ppx is very intriguing. I am still thinking - to SLAM or not to SLAM. Hmmm....

Jul 5, 2005 at 4:02 AM Post #37 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc
well, it's still a prototype, so no dice i guess.
frown.gif

oh, and it's www.eddiecurrent.com
biggrin.gif

i dont think anyone has mentioned this - when choosing amps you might want to consider seriously what sort of tube(s) it uses.

very_evil_smiley.gif

eek.gif

YOW. Another reason for me to stick to solid state lol.

BTW found this interesting promo on the NYC craigslist - looks like these guys are going to take a stab at doing the tube thing for a living.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/msg/81046923.html

Jul 5, 2005 at 4:33 AM Post #38 of 38
Quote:

How about Eddie Current's DM prototype?

I would strongly recommend the Eddie Current DM1 as the best I've heard at under $1000.00, and I've heard almost everything. It honestly should cost more, based on the sound. It also features extremely high build quality. Craig at EC is also a true audio pioneer, brilliant amp designer, and a great guy to deal with.
It is a tube amp, and I admit, up front that I am a tube guy. But I was converted after being a lifetime solid state aficionado, that should tell you something about tubes.
Seriously though, this amp is a STEAL at the price. I honestly told Craig he should charge more for it!

JC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back