Alps Potentiometers for a good price
May 15, 2002 at 8:00 AM Post #16 of 149
Quote:

Originally posted by thomas
http://www.angela.com/catalog/potent...Alps_Pots.html

Angela carries the blue beuties, and the pictures look similar... Also, i've purchased many alps blue beuties from a local repudible distributer as well as from parts connection (when it was still around), all of which look similar to the pics... The sound from all of those pots are far superior to the cheap alps pots or panasonic pots i've used...

that said, the one's i've purchased are slightly different- the plastic/metal case is identical, but the pins, shaft, and model numbers are different...

I don't know what wrong ! I had check to Alps Japan and USA Web site still can't found a Alps Pot looking like it !
We also order Alps pots but it is in difference naming convention ! and difference outlooking.
ALPS USA Site products information.

http://www.alpsusa.com/Product/p_index.html

It may be old stock manufacturering many years ago ! Many reason ! I'm not sure why ? But I can found many immitation Alps in China Selling in Low cost. The outlooking just like it ! You can judge it by your mind ! I just want to find out the true ! I don't want everybody same Hong Kong people like to sell immitation products.
Is it difference country supplier in difference outlook ? I just wonder why ? But not sure !

May 17, 2002 at 1:46 AM Post #17 of 149
Quote:

Originally posted by Joe Lau

I don't know what wrong ! I had check to Alps Japan and USA Web site still can't found a Alps Pot looking like it !
We also order Alps pots but it is in difference naming convention ! and difference outlooking.
ALPS USA Site products information.

http://www.alpsusa.com/Product/p_index.html

It may be old stock manufacturering many years ago ! Many reason ! I'm not sure why ? But I can found many immitation Alps in China Selling in Low cost. The outlooking just like it ! You can judge it by your mind ! I just want to find out the true ! I don't want everybody same Hong Kong people like to sell immitation products.
Is it difference country supplier in difference outlook ? I just wonder why ? But not sure !

I had contact to Alps Distributor in HOng Kong. They can't found such parts number as in Ebay ! So you can judge it Immitation or not ! I only got a Fax specification just like in Alps web site ! It is same style as 40mm Black beauty type. Is it American low cost version ? May be it never supply to Asian country ? But I think it
smily_headphones1.gif

May 17, 2002 at 4:18 AM Post #18 of 149
Well, I sent Mr. Leung an e-mail tactfully asking him if they were genuine Alps pots. He assured me that they were and wanted to know why I was asking and who was saying that they were not. Of course, if they are imitations I wouldn't expect him to tell me they are. So, here I am waiting for 8 pots that may or may not be Alps. And I may or may not have gotten a good deal. Or I may or may not have been screwed.

Oh well, not much I can do about it now.
rolleyes.gif

May 17, 2002 at 5:35 AM Post #19 of 149
Maybe if they ARE imitation, the imitation is superior! These are the killer pots that alps is trying to hide from us! They don't want to admit that this rag-tag chinese operation has produced a superior pot! As soon as you get them, hide them. Don't let anyone in the audio biz know you bought them, or you'll be blacklisted! But after you give them a little taste, feel their smooth, yet firm tracking, their quality construction, their heft, like a piece of jewelry, you'll come crawling back for more imitations! But do your transactions under the table, cash only! Don't let anyone know.. shh..

Seriously though, even if they aren't alps, it sucks to be lied too, but at least you'll have some interesting pots, that might be pretty decent too. And if they ARE alps, well they yippee, you still got a good deal. Regardless, 80$ in the grand scheme of the world, is not much money!

peace,
phidauex

May 17, 2002 at 7:06 AM Post #20 of 149
Quote:

Originally posted by JMT
Well, I sent Mr. Leung an e-mail tactfully asking him if they were genuine Alps pots. He assured me that they were and wanted to know why I was asking and who was saying that they were not. Of course, if they are imitations I wouldn't expect him to tell me they are. So, here I am waiting for 8 pots that may or may not be Alps. And I may or may not have gotten a good deal. Or I may or may not have been screwed.

Oh well, not much I can do about it now.
rolleyes.gif

I just wonder Alps supplies to us in Difference looking ? Our just same outlooking as in Web site.

May 17, 2002 at 7:33 AM Post #21 of 149
You never know. I have some WIMA Black Box Audio Grade capacitors, pretty damn expensive ($22 CDN per 1 piece of 1uF!) bought from local shop - very trusty local shop - and there's no info on WIMA site about this product line (at least there wasn't back then). I guess you can always send one of those pots directly to Alps and ask them to confirm their validity.

May 17, 2002 at 8:27 AM Post #22 of 149
Quote:

Originally posted by aos
You never know. I have some WIMA Black Box Audio Grade capacitors, pretty damn expensive ($22 CDN per 1 piece of 1uF!) bought from local shop - very trusty local shop - and there's no info on WIMA site about this product line (at least there wasn't back then). I guess you can always send one of those pots directly to Alps and ask them to confirm their validity.

I had talk to Alps distributor in Hong Kong and give him the parts Number seen on Ebay but it reply to us is - They don't have such parts Number. They only can supplier just like as you see in Alps Web site. Actullay the Structurer of Alps pot seen in Alps site is better than seen in Ebay. It is Alumnium Case + Phenoni. (Ebay web site is a Plastic Case). It have more smooth surface. So I think the best of Alps is on Web site. Alps have 5 Difference size Audio grade pot - 18mm , 27mm , 40mm and 50mm. It have same structure from 18mm to 40mm. 50mm is 100% difference. It is a Full metal case V.R . I just wonder why the cheaper 18mm and 40mm use structure better than 27mm ?

(40mm type is name Black beauty in the Web. It seem to be the best grade of Alps pots except Superior grade - 50mm metal case type but it is too expensive !)

Do you think 27mm is cheaper than 18mm type ?

I will try to buy sample from China and send to Alps to Verifier it !

Anyway ! I'm not sure ! I just wonder why ? I like to found out the true.

Wima - Yes ! I had same experience before but I had check to Distributor of Wima in HOng Kong. They same the web site is for Industry products only. Audio grade not show in Web.

Alps is not the same story - They don't know such Parts number ! The Parts number is unique in his products line and very easy to check if you told him the parts number.

May be it is American version
smily_headphones1.gif
not for Hong Kong but ! ......

May 17, 2002 at 11:13 AM Post #23 of 149
Quote:

It seem to be the best grade of Alps pots except Superior grade - 50mm metal case type but it is too expensive !

Second that! I had our local Alps rep check into the 50mm and found it was $474! yep, Four-hundred Seventy-Four Dollars!

It's a beautiful thing, machined out of a solid chunk of brass but, Zoiks!

But perhaps, as in the Wima case, this is an industrial part (car radios, perhaps or portable devices?) that isn't shown on their website.

Ultimately though, as long as it's not scratchy and tracks reasonably well.. use 'em!

ok,
erix

May 17, 2002 at 11:21 AM Post #24 of 149
I bought 2 Alps Blue Pots (mono) from Angela Instruments for $19 each. They look just like Angela picture and Ebay's picture except the shaft and the 4th pin. My Angela pots are plastic with a number of (136X 250KA) I don't see these numbers listed either on the Alps page. I suspect these pot I'm getting from Hong Kong will look just like the ones I have, only stereo, and I'll still not know for sure.
steve

May 18, 2002 at 2:01 AM Post #26 of 149
Quote:

Originally posted by evilcthul
As far as I know the blues are real...

People on AudioAsylum swear by them and they are retailed by:
Percy Audio http://www.percyaudio.com/
Angela http://www.angela.com/

Both reputable dealers who only sell genuine parts... Whilst on the subject of high quality budget components I'm wondering if anyone has ever found decently priced tantalum resistors?

I just found a Company in China. It have products in same structure and naming convention is same !

http://www.cxzhenwei.com/cpjs.htm

May 18, 2002 at 5:01 AM Post #27 of 149
Hey, off topic...

Joe, where can I find a Head-Fi shop in HK?
Haven't seen so much as a single MG Head OTL here...
mad.gif

Also some second-hand audio shops...

Hey where is your company anyway?
smily_headphones1.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 18, 2002 at 7:16 AM Post #28 of 149
http://sound.westhost.com/counterfeit.htm

Making fake pots would be a piece of cake compared to stuff like that...A quick listen/measurement should quickly tell you if its a fake or real...

I'm trying to see where the RHXXXX model number is comming from, but the seller has removed the pics... (a sign somthing is wrong?) my real ones ( perfect channel matching, only thing i've heard that sounds better is solid metal 40mm) only have a 3 digit +1 letter serial number followed by 250KAx2...That is also the method used in the pic found on angella.... I can't see any way that the whole line can be fake, but there may be quite a few fakes out there, as with any other high-priced part (look out for 4 pin, RHXXXX model numbers, unknown distributers)...

May 20, 2002 at 8:11 AM Post #29 of 149
Quote:

Originally posted by Joe Bloggs
Hey, off topic...

Joe, where can I find a Head-Fi shop in HK?
Haven't seen so much as a single MG Head OTL here...
mad.gif

Also some second-hand audio shops...

Hey where is your company anyway?
smily_headphones1.gif

Please visit our Web site for Distributors and our Address , Tel No.

http://www.tubehifi.com

HK distributor : Audioway - 27251012 Mr Poon 1:00 PM to 8:00PM

May 25, 2002 at 2:53 AM Post #30 of 149
Just an update:

I received my package from Mr. Leung while I was away on business. The pots look exactly like the pics in the Ebay auction. Since these are the first "Alps" pots that I have seen, I have no point of reference to tell if they are genuine or counterfeit. One thing that surprised me, the shaft action is stepped. I expected it to be smooth. Indicative?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back