ALO The National is a work of art - check it!
May 24, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #16 of 43
Quote:
I'm not saying that. The SE530 is very sensitive as you know. You probably notice the hiss from your player with the SE530. The National has about as much hiss as a Cowon D2 or iPod nano 3G, so it is perfectly fine, just not the absolute quietest of amps. Actually, all modern amps I've used have had as much or slightly more. There are few exceptions. 

As for driving resolution, the National does fine with the SE530. The SM2 is a harder to drive earphone than the SE530 by a measurable margin. The SE530 is just a very very hard earphone to love because it is so sensitive. I sold mine because of hiss with everything no matter how much I loved it.

well mine.dont have the hiss sound.and thanks for the info btw.gonna consider it

Jun 1, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #20 of 43
Quote:
I don't have the LCD-2, but it runs the UM3x very well, similar to the SM3. There is background noise for sure, but not as bad as some other earphone pairs. If you want an amp with almost zero background noise for IEM's you really really have to search long and wide. I haven't given up,but I've put that quest on hold as it just won't happen.

The best pairing for the UM3X I've found is the original ALO Rx. I noticed no hiss at all until I turned the volume to ear splitting levels.

The second best source I found for the UM3X is the Hifiman HM601. It too is dead silent until you get too loud. 

Both offer a better soundstage for the UM3X as well. Did you find that the National opened up the soundstage for you as well?

Jun 3, 2012 at 4:48 AM Post #21 of 43
With IEM earphones, the RX digital volume pot is undoubtedly the best I've heard. At low volumes (what you need for IEM earphones), perfect balance at low volumes is absolutely important. The HM601 is very nice indeed with a low noise floor. The only thing with it (other than not playing songs back 100% reliably and missing gapless playback) is that volume balance at 0-5% (important for low-level listening) isn't that good.

The National has a powerful but bright sound signature that can certainly help with the UM3x which tends somewhat to a darker sound. Again, the Rx is probably the best IEM amp, but the National is overall the best value of the major amp makers that I've heard. Power for everything.
Quote:
The best pairing for the UM3X I've found is the original ALO Rx. I noticed no hiss at all until I turned the volume to ear splitting levels.

The second best source I found for the UM3X is the Hifiman HM601. It too is dead silent until you get too loud. 

Both offer a better soundstage for the UM3X as well. Did you find that the National opened up the soundstage for you as well?

Jun 11, 2012 at 8:28 AM Post #25 of 43
Okay lads and ladies, this will be postponed until Tuesday or Wednesday evening. The test involves volume-matched output from both amps via the DT880 600Ω and DT1350. The cleaner signal via audible and computer benchmark corroboration is the winner. I'm thinking of doing this on Youtube, hence the delay. I'm a Youtube noob.

Nov 7, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #28 of 43
Just got mine tonight. Not alot of discussion on this amp but initial listen, I am happy. Using the DT1350. Enjoying it's smoothness.

Nov 17, 2012 at 4:13 AM Post #29 of 43
Just ordered mine on Tuesday, the past 4 days seems like eternity... Pending delivery only on Monday :frowning2:

Dec 31, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #30 of 43
I have had my National for about two months now. Love it with the HD600 as well. The solo-r will be arriving this tuesday. Have not experienced the original solo and looking forward to this combo. Happy new year to all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back