ALO/ Red Wine Audio Desk Top Headphone Amp (Amphora) W/ PHOTOS
Mar 3, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #76 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by fkclo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Ken and Vennie,

Have a few questions about Amphora :

1. How does the pre-amp sound ? I do assume it is not the same class as the RWA recent models. The question is how far apart are they ?

2. The Lo-gain is "zero" dB, which apparently means it is unity gain at low setting. While this is good for sensitive IEMs will that also mean the high gain setting will be left to handle all other headphones all the way up to the 600 ohm Beyers ?

3. It was said the Amphora is optimised for the iPod/iMod. Does this mean it is tuned for lower level input from the iPod line out ? I do not plan to use the Amphora mainly for the iPod, instead, I am thinking of using it in conjunction with my Chord QBD76 DAC. Will that become a "sub-optimised" setup as the Chord QBD has a much higher output voltage than the iPod ?

4. And are you taking orders now ? If not, when ?

F. Lo

Hi F.Lo,

1) The preamp output sounds excellent and offers all of the great sonic qualities of the Amphora headphone output. It is also very clean, being on battery power.

2) It really depends on how loud you want to play, what headphones you are using, and the output voltage of your source. For example, you might find setting the volume to MAX on the 0dB setting is as loud as you will want to play. If this is the case, the 0dB setting is preferred (lower gain = lower noise floor). With very sensitive headphones like IEM's, this setting is probably perfect. For headphones that need more gain (and if you are using a source with low output voltage, like the iPod @ 1Vrms), you might need to set the gain to HIGH (12dB).

Even with the same headphones and source, you might find times that you want to use 0dB and times when you want to use 12dB. It really depends on how loud you want to play. This gain switch offers you flexibility in this regard, so please try it both ways.

3) The Amphora is optimal for the iMod because the input already has the dc blocking capacitors (in this case it is a Vcap -- just like in the ALO iMod Vcap dock). The iPod/iMod version of the Amphora also does not require a cable between the iPod/iMod and the amp, so it is the shortest, cleanest path.

4) Ken at ALO Audio is not taking payment at this time, but it taking names for the Amphora wait list. Depending on how everything goes, we hope to be able to start shipping in a few weeks. Production of the enclosures has already started, and all the parts have been ordered. The assmbly is time consuming as there is still a lot of point-to-point wiring inside.

Best regards,

Vinnie

Mar 4, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #77 of 203
Hi Ken and Vinnie,

Please disregard the original post below. I reread the thread and found my answer; iPod/iMod Amphora for me.

Tom

(So I already have an iMod and an ALO LOD for the iMod. Which Amphora would be best for me? I will still use the ALO iMod LOD for use with Tomahawk so I can put that little gem to good use.)

Thanks,

Tom

Mar 4, 2009 at 7:59 AM Post #78 of 203
I am very excited to be one of a hundred to soon own one of these amps. To bad I have to wait to hear it until late summer/early fall when I return from Iraq. But it will be put to good use, I asked Ken to send it out to a couple of prominent head-fier's so they can post their thoughts on this very fine looking piece of kit.

Mar 4, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #79 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinnie R. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi F.Lo,

1) The preamp output sounds excellent and offers all of the great sonic qualities of the Amphora headphone output. It is also very clean, being on battery power.

2) It really depends on how loud you want to play, what headphones you are using, and the output voltage of your source. For example, you might find setting the volume to MAX on the 0dB setting is as loud as you will want to play. If this is the case, the 0dB setting is preferred (lower gain = lower noise floor). With very sensitive headphones like IEM's, this setting is probably perfect. For headphones that need more gain (and if you are using a source with low output voltage, like the iPod @ 1Vrms), you might need to set the gain to HIGH (12dB).

Even with the same headphones and source, you might find times that you want to use 0dB and times when you want to use 12dB. It really depends on how loud you want to play. This gain switch offers you flexibility in this regard, so please try it both ways.

3) The Amphora is optimal for the iMod because the input already has the dc blocking capacitors (in this case it is a Vcap -- just like in the ALO iMod Vcap dock). The iPod/iMod version of the Amphora also does not require a cable between the iPod/iMod and the amp, so it is the shortest, cleanest path.

4) Ken at ALO Audio is not taking payment at this time, but it taking names for the Amphora wait list. Depending on how everything goes, we hope to be able to start shipping in a few weeks. Production of the enclosures has already started, and all the parts have been ordered. The assmbly is time consuming as there is still a lot of point-to-point wiring inside.

Best regards,

Vinnie

Hi Vinnie,

Thanks for your clarification. Good to know the preamp is as good as the headphone amp - that is reassuring and really good value.

I just am not sure if the 0 DB LOW gain setting suits me. Just wonder if there is any way to adjust the gain setting by the user, or if this can ever be done ?

Glad to be on that prestigious list. Take your time - as I always said - good things in life do take time
smily_headphones1.gif

Francis

Mar 4, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #80 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by KB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Fkclo

I am mainly using it as a headphone amp and trying to make some good comparisons and ascertain what it best pairs up with. I plan to have Amphora package specials.

Amphora / Grado PS1000 package
Amphora / Grado GS1000 package
Amphora / Grado RS1 package
Amphora / Grado RS2 package
Amphora / Ultrasone Edition 8 package

well you get the idea.... this way people will save some $$ when buying them together.

With that I have not really done much with it as a preamp, I have a Isabella and am crazy over it as my main system. but I will give it a go and report back.

I will let Vinnie explain the db question.

Your question about the Amphoras optimization of the iMod. No - I mean that the Amphora is designed such that a standard Amphora (no ipod dock on the top) will NOT need a "iMod" type cable when used with a imod. Meaning you do not need the external caps in a cable or dock. So any regular ipod line out dock cable or ipod dock into which ever input (RCA or mini) will be fine - remember the Amphora is using Vcaps. Imod users keep this in mind, ---> a standard Amphora and iMod works fine with a regular ipod cable. I am going to be making a really nice ipod to RT angle mini as a accessory for the standard Amphora, you can use this with a iPhone, ipod or iMod.

Yes taking orders now, see post #32

Thanks!

Ken

Hi Ken,

Thanks a lot for your answers.

Couldn't wait to see how attractive is the deal on the Amphora + Edition 8.

Keep us posted please.

Francis

Mar 4, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #81 of 203
Here is a shot of the internals of a Standard Amphora (no top mounted ipod dock). Each one will this exact wire pattern. You can see the Vcaps are a direct point to point configuration, straight form the board to the GP!

internal_final.jpg

We are on track to have the first initial run of them completed towards the end of this month.

Thanks

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Mar 4, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #83 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by KB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is a shot of the internals of a Standard Amphora (no top mounted ipod dock). Each one will this exact wire pattern. You can see the Vcaps are a direct point to point configuration, straight form the board to the GP!

internal_final.jpg

We are on track to have the first initial run of them completed towards the end of this month.

Thanks

Ken

So, why not double up on batteries to double the run time if there is that much room inside?

Mar 4, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #84 of 203
Quote:

So, why not double up on batteries to double the run time if there is that much room inside?

Hi headphoneaddict,

The version with the iPod/iMod dock will take up more room inside. Also, the battery/charger we are using does not like to charge two batteries in parallel.
On a full charge, you can easily get over 24 hours of total play time (36 to 48 hours is certainly possible), and the recharge time is fast - so that more battery is not all the necessary.

Best regards,

Vinnie

Mar 4, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #85 of 203
So (yes, I am a master of the obvious), the battery is user replaceable,no?

Mar 4, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #86 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So (yes, I am a master of the obvious), the battery is user replaceable,no?

Hi immtbiker,

Yes - it is user replaceable and it should be replaced with the same battery type (9V, 400mAh Li-ion). ALO will have replacement batteries in stock for when the time comes.

Best regards,

Vinnie

Mar 4, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #88 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by imademymark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
forgive me if i'm wrong, but all that extra room won't be put to use except in the imod version? seems abit of a pity
frown.gif

You can allways use it to hide Easter eggs or something...
smile.gif

Mar 4, 2009 at 10:46 PM Post #89 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by imademymark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
forgive me if i'm wrong, but all that extra room won't be put to use except in the imod version? seems abit of a pity
frown.gif

It's just a little extra room - it's not big deal (i hope)
wink.gif

Mar 4, 2009 at 10:57 PM Post #90 of 203
The portability options are going to be amazing with this amp. No need to have power any were in site, a campers/trevalers dream. looks great and I look forwar to owning one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back