ALO/ Red Wine Audio Desk Top Headphone Amp (Amphora) W/ PHOTOS
Feb 28, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #61 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really stunning looking amplifier!
bigsmile_face.gif

Love the woodwork, the slim design, battery powered operation (like the RWA gear), iPod dock, and the fact that it looks solid built.

All the best, to you both and the 100 lucky customers!

Thanks Krmathis,

All the specs:

Specifications

• Input impedance – 20k
• Output impedance (preamp outputs) – less than 100 ohms
• Inputs - 2 sets
• Headphone outputs – 2 sets
• Preamp outputs – 1 set
• Gain – Switchable 0dB / 12dB
• Battery - 9V Li-Ion
• Play time between charges – greater than 24 hours
• Charger – Li-Ion auto-charger. Fully charges in less than 4 hours
• Charger input voltage – 100Vac – 240Vac, 50/60Hz
• Dimensions – approx. 7” wide x 5” deep x 3” tall
• Made in the USA

I do not have the weights yet but will get that today. Also I am off to my studio and will be taking photos of the internals as well as one of the Padauk version.

We will also be selling extra Li-Ion batteries that are rated for the specific charger.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Feb 28, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #62 of 203
All,

I had an interesting observation/experiment last night.

I had two friends over my shop prior going out to grab a beer. These are some of my buddies who are not audiophile types, and not familiar with high end headphones and would not know a AKG if it hit them in the head. I was showing them the Amphoras and had them listen to the amphora with all my headphones, the whole collection. It was great because the Amphora will drive 2 phones perfect at the same time and allows for really quick switching back and fourth, no need to unplug anything. So it was a quick "oh I like this one better" then they would pull the "loser" out and plug in another one to challenge the champ. I got a kick at them doing this, they would say, this ones real expensive isn't it? as if to affirm the selection. Any how the non audiophile champ using the Amphora was... drum roll

The Grado GS1000

Mind you, mine is recabled with some heavy 18awg Jena Labs wire so its not stock - and I am not posting this because I want to sell re cabled GS1000s, I do not offer this re cable on any of the wood Grados anyways. (John installed this cable for me at the factory and these are my personal headphones) I would have to say that I can see why they picked the GS1000 though and they do sound amazing on the Amphora. Some of the folks at the Southern meet also indicated that the AKG 702s were not as bright as they remembered while using the Amphora. And the same is true with the Grados. I think the Amphora is doing 2 things really well, (1) handling the detail to perfection and (2) is so fantastically balanced - cans that would normally be a bit sharp or a bright are now right on. So with this in mind I am going to have to try some ATH-W5000s with the Amphora.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Feb 28, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #63 of 203
If I didn't have amps coming out of the wazoo I'd be seriously considering one of these. I like the 2 input one preamp out 2 headphone features. I'm one of those weird people who would wish that it would charge while the power is one, so it's always got a full battery
tongue.gif

Feb 28, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #64 of 203
Hi Ken,

Man, I am having a really hard time deciding which headphones to purchase for use with the iMod Amphora. Perhaps you could post your comments regarding the sound with some of the other headphones that you have and/or sell.

Thanks,

Tom

Feb 28, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #65 of 203
Hi Ken; if I put in a pre-order, can I decide later on (just before you build) if I want the iMod or regular version? Need weight also, as this could serve as a knapsack portable?

Feb 28, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #66 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lornecherry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Ken; if I put in a pre-order, can I decide later on (just before you build) if I want the iMod or regular version? Need weight also, as this could serve as a knapsack portable?

Hey Lornecherry

Sure no problem, the "list" is just so we can get the Head-Fi'ers first crack and there is no obligation on anything.

Thanks

Ken

Mar 1, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #68 of 203
Padauk Amphora is on Fire!!
Aloha
atsmile.gif

Headphile808

Mar 2, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #71 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by KB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All the specs:
Specifications
• Inputs - 2 sets

I do not have the weights yet but will get that today. Also I am off to my studio and will be taking photos of the internals ...

Ken

I have a question about the Inputs on the iMod/iPod version of the Amphora. For the non-iMod/iPod version the 2 sets of inputs are a pair of RCA jacks and a mini-stereo jack. In the iMod/iPod version, does the iMod/iPod dock count as one of the two sets of inputs? If so, then which of the a) pair of RCA jacks, b) mini-stereo jack will be left as the second input? I, personally, have a strong preference for the pair of RCA jacks, but I can easily see that others may just as strongly prefer a mini-stereo jack for more convenient (trans)portable use with a source other than iMod/iPod - what with the Amphora being battery-powered and all. Or, could it be that is this one of those very happy situations where adding the iMod/iPod dock still allows the inclusion of both non-iMod/iPod input jacks (for a total of three inputs)? I suspect not, but I'm asking to find out.

So, how does the presence of the iMod/iPod dock affect the set of input jacks on that version of the Amphora?

Mar 3, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #72 of 203
Hi sbulack,

For the version of the Amphora with the iPod/iMod interface, this option replaces the 1/8" mini-jack input.

The L/R RCA input jack input remains with the iPod/iMod version.

Best regards,

Vinnie

Mar 3, 2009 at 11:54 AM Post #73 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinnie R. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi sbulack,
For the version of the Amphora with the iPod/iMod interface, this option replaces the 1/8" mini-jack input. The L/R RCA input jack input remains with the iPod/iMod version.
Best regards,
Vinnie

Thank you, Vinnie, for your clear and concise answer.

Mar 3, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #74 of 203
Hi Ken and Vennie,

Have a few questions about Amphora :

1. How does the pre-amp sound ? I do assume it is not the same class as the RWA recent models. The question is how far apart are they ?

2. The Lo-gain is "zero" dB, which apparently means it is unity gain at low setting. While this is good for sensitive IEMs will that also mean the high gain setting will be left to handle all other headphones all the way up to the 600 ohm Beyers ?

3. It was said the Amphora is optimised for the iPod/iMod. Does this mean it is tuned for lower level input from the iPod line out ? I do not plan to use the Amphora mainly for the iPod, instead, I am thinking of using it in conjunction with my Chord QBD76 DAC. Will that become a "sub-optimised" setup as the Chord QBD has a much higher output voltage than the iPod ?

4. And are you taking orders now ? If not, when ?

F. Lo

Mar 3, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #75 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by fkclo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Ken and Vennie,

Have a few questions about Amphora :

1. How does the pre-amp sound ? I do assume it is not the same class as the RWA recent models. The question is how far apart are they ?

2. The Lo-gain is "zero" dB, which apparently means it is unity gain at low setting. While this is good for sensitive IEMs will that also mean the high gain setting will be left to handle all other headphones all the way up to the 600 ohm Beyers ?

3. It was said the Amphora is optimised for the iPod/iMod. Does this mean it is tuned for lower level input from the iPod line out ? I do not plan to use the Amphora mainly for the iPod, instead, I am thinking of using it in conjunction with my Chord QBD76 DAC. Will that become a "sub-optimised" setup as the Chord QBD has a much higher output voltage than the iPod ?

4. And are you taking orders now ? If not, when ?

F. Lo

Hey Fkclo

I am mainly using it as a headphone amp and trying to make some good comparisons and ascertain what it best pairs up with. I plan to have Amphora package specials.

Amphora / Grado PS1000 package
Amphora / Grado GS1000 package
Amphora / Grado RS1 package
Amphora / Grado RS2 package
Amphora / Ultrasone Edition 8 package

well you get the idea.... this way people will save some $$ when buying them together.

With that I have not really done much with it as a preamp, I have a Isabella and am crazy over it as my main system. but I will give it a go and report back.

I will let Vinnie explain the db question.

Your question about the Amphoras optimization of the iMod. No - I mean that the Amphora is designed such that a standard Amphora (no ipod dock on the top) will NOT need a "iMod" type cable when used with a imod. Meaning you do not need the external caps in a cable or dock. So any regular ipod line out dock cable or ipod dock into which ever input (RCA or mini) will be fine - remember the Amphora is using Vcaps. Imod users keep this in mind, ---> a standard Amphora and iMod works fine with a regular ipod cable. I am going to be making a really nice ipod to RT angle mini as a accessory for the standard Amphora, you can use this with a iPhone, ipod or iMod.

Yes taking orders now, see post #32

Thanks!

Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

Back