Alo Interconnect for Sony Walkman
Apr 10, 2008 at 4:07 AM Post #61 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by e-dub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wooooooo!

eric b

While the cable does work, sadly the company does not make the over molding shells! Dhoa. So I am searching for a company that can sell me the connectors with the all important shells. So back to the drawing board. By the way the company that only sells the connectors but not the shell over molding said that they would tool up and make them for me for $7,000, gee thanks. If anyone knows where I can get the shells made let me know. I wish I had some friends in China that can find this stuff for me or have it made. Any how hold on I will motor on.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Apr 10, 2008 at 5:04 AM Post #62 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by KB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While the cable does work, sadly the company does not make the over molding shells! Dhoa. So I am searching for a company that can sell me the connectors with the all important shells. So back to the drawing board. By the way the company that only sells the connectors but not the shell over molding said that they would tool up and make them for me for $7,000, gee thanks. If anyone knows where I can get the shells made let me know. I wish I had some friends in China that can find this stuff for me or have it made. Any how hold on I will motor on.

Ken

Bummer. God, I hate proprietary crap like Sony makes. And it's doubly aggravating because they came so achingly close this time by opening up the software and file format support, only to chill it with a stupid wire.

Apr 10, 2008 at 5:04 PM Post #63 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by schaqfu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bummer. God, I hate proprietary crap like Sony makes. And it's doubly aggravating because they came so achingly close this time by opening up the software and file format support, only to chill it with a stupid wire.

I was emailing the Sony engineers a while back. Asking, pleading, begging them to work with me one making a LOD cable with SONY, Asking them for the configuration to unlock the audio signal from the dock. They basically said no and to go away. They do this because they want other much larger companies, or themselves to have control and access to accessories products for the player (I am guessing here). I told them that I did not mind paying them a royalty on the sales, nope go away. So then I ended up telling them to stuff it and that I already knew how to unlock the device and make the product and that I would continue on with out Sonys help.

kb

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Apr 10, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #64 of 145
Quote:

I was emailing the Sony engineers a while back. Asking, pleading, begging them to work with me one making a LOD cable with SONY, Asking them for the configuration to unlock the audio signal from the dock. They basically said no and to go away. They do this because they want other much larger companies, or themselves to have control and access to accessories products for the player (I am guessing here). I told them that I did not mind paying them a royalty on the sales, nope go away. So then I ended up telling them to stuff it and that I already knew how to unlock the device and make the product and that I would continue on with out Sonys help.

kb

Good for you. And that kind of reverse-engineering, particularly because it's a physical interface and not a software-based one, is not made unlawful by the anti-circumvention provisions of the DMCA. Stick it to 'em!

I'm curious though, why would the audio have to be decoded? Isn't it as simple matter of connecting the correct pins to tap into the audio-out?

Apr 10, 2008 at 5:13 PM Post #65 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by schaqfu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm curious though, why would the audio have to be decoded? Isn't it as simple matter of connecting the correct pins to tap into the audio-out?

Thanks. No to answer your question its not that simple. The device has the level line audio "turned off" and no signal is sent to the line out dock unless something is switched and the signal is sent to the device that allows the signal to flow to the dock. In this case we are talking shorting certain pins on one another and the use of resistors for other pins. That information was what I was looking for.

The ipod is like what you mentioned, you just wire up the corresponding Left pin, Right pin and Ground and boom your sending the signal to your amp. Not so with most all other players. If you wire up the L, R and ground you get nada.

Ken

Apr 25, 2008 at 7:42 PM Post #68 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by LuciferBox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any news?

Still waiting for the connector companies to respond to my request to have over molds made for the connectors. They are glacial.

Ken

Apr 26, 2008 at 4:15 PM Post #70 of 145
Quote:

They are glacial.

Ken

LOL! Thanks for the update Ken.

May 3, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #71 of 145
Any updates? I'll be getting a tomahawk if this becomes a feasible idea!

May 12, 2008 at 11:11 AM Post #73 of 145
This is the thread I've searched for so long!

Go Ken Go!
Do your best to make that cable work, we're with you!

I'd definitely buy one. As someone said it's not illegal, it's just reverse-engineering for interoperability / portability reasons, which is legal.

Why don't you manage to get a cradle, disassemble it and spot which interconnections need to be done?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back