biggrin.gif

eric b

Jan 14, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #17 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by e-dub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
any updates?
biggrin.gif

eric b

I was able to talk to a Sony person at the CES show and I am holding out some hope of assistance shortly. We discussed what I am after and I am working through it. Hold please.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Jan 15, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #18 of 145
man, i sure hope you have good news to report. thanks so much!

eric b

Jan 15, 2008 at 6:49 AM Post #19 of 145
How man pins are you guys counting on the dock? I have a schematic from a company and they say it will work with the Sony Player.

Thx

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jan 15, 2008 at 11:36 PM Post #21 of 145
Hi Ken,

The BCR-NWU3 dock has the full complement of 22 pins. The line-out function seems to operate perfectly well without anything attached to the dock (i.e. no USB cable or power attached) and immediately overrides the headphone out.

If you look at Page 25 or 26 of the Service Manual, there is a breakdown of the WM-PORT pin connections (pins 14 and 17 are highlighted for obvious reasons):

[size=x-small]1 GND
2 RESERVE (OTG)
3 D+
4 D-
5 GND
6 RESERVE
7 VIN
8 RXD/WAKE
9 CRD_AD
10 TXD/SLEEP
11 USB_DET
12 UNREG_OUT
13 AU_L_IN
14 AU_L_OUT
15 AU_COM
16 AU_R_IN
17 AU_R_OUT
18 VIDEO-GND/GND
19 VIDEO_IN/OUT/OPEN
20 DCIN
21 DIGITAL_OUT/OPEN
22 GND

[/size]

If anyone wants to attempt a DIY cable using the supplied USB cable (Sony WMC-NW20MU), the pins are ordered as follows:
Pin 1 ---------------> Pin 22

As far as I can tell, connecting pins 14 and 17 up to a 3.5mm jack or pair of RCA connectors should work (however, I don't know how the other pins will affect a DIY cable). The Sony WMC-NWR1 looks like a possible alternative cable which could be modded for purpose.

Jan 16, 2008 at 5:10 AM Post #22 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by ptl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Ken,

The BCR-NWU3 dock has the full complement of 22 pins. The line-out function seems to operate perfectly well without anything attached to the dock (i.e. no USB cable or power attached) and immediately overrides the headphone out.

If you look at Page 25 or 26 of the Service Manual, there is a breakdown of the WM-PORT pin connections (pins 14 and 17 are highlighted for obvious reasons):

[size=x-small]1 GND
2 RESERVE (OTG)
3 D+
4 D-
5 GND
6 RESERVE
7 VIN
8 RXD/WAKE
9 CRD_AD
10 TXD/SLEEP
11 USB_DET
12 UNREG_OUT
13 AU_L_IN
14 AU_L_OUT
15 AU_COM
16 AU_R_IN
17 AU_R_OUT
18 VIDEO-GND/GND
19 VIDEO_IN/OUT/OPEN
20 DCIN
21 DIGITAL_OUT/OPEN
22 GND

[/size]

If anyone wants to attempt a DIY cable using the supplied USB cable (Sony WMC-NW20MU), the pins are ordered as follows:
Pin 1 ---------------> Pin 22

As far as I can tell, connecting pins 14 and 17 up to a 3.5mm jack or pair of RCA connectors should work (however, I don't know how the other pins will affect a DIY cable). The Sony WMC-NWR1 looks like a possible alternative cable which could be modded for purpose.

PTL,

Thanks for the info. This is odd because someone sent me a Service Manual for the Sony and I could swear it said that the pin out was/is 33 pins? Not 22. Anyhow this could be very good news! hehheh!

I really hope I can get something going in the way of some cables for other DAPs, Apple is hogging all the fun at the moment and I think that is good.

Ken

Jan 23, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #23 of 145
I have found a connector that does mate with the SONY DAP but sadly after using the pin out information given in this thread the device did not transmit the audio signal out of the device. I will continue to work on the problem to resolve this and get back to the thread when and if I have any progress.

Thanks

Ken

Jan 24, 2008 at 1:43 PM Post #24 of 145
Many thanks for the info KB, we're eager about its development.

Jan 29, 2008 at 6:16 AM Post #26 of 145
Update:

I heard back from my Sony contact today

"Ken,

I heard back from the Walkman Director. He inquired and I am sorry to say that it looks like the engineering team has chosen not to disclose that information. I don’t know exactly why, however recently there may have been exclusive licensing agreements put in place for Walkman accessories.

I apologize that I can not help you further along in your quest. Seemed like a simple thing. It isn’t for lack of trying or wanting to.

Best wishes,

Brian"

And so yet again the audiophiles are shunned
rolleyes.gif

Basically I had been in discussion with them about what I was after, I guess they would rather not want have this available? Who knows? I guess it would not make much sense to have their Sony player popular with people who are into, well things that sound good?

No worries I dont need their help. I have to say that at least Sony even bothered to talk to me and listen to my request. Microsoft totally ignored me and even though the Zune product mgr I talked to at the CES show assured me that he would at least inquire about my interest to pursue product development with them. I emailed him a few times but no reply. Fact is if you are not after some mainstream mass marketable product these big companies really dont seem to care much.

So I have some more work to do, not giving up quite yet. sigh...

Ken

Jan 29, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #29 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Tadashi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I do know that sony makes accessories with a line out on them that are designed for their MP3 players with a WM Port on them. I have one with me.

I think its a recording or line in cable, please clarify coz Ive seen that in Sony style and really interested about that.

Thanks alot.

Jan 29, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #30 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Tadashi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I do know that sony makes accessories with a line out on them that are designed for their MP3 players with a WM Port on them. I have one with me.

They probably consider it a conflict of interest. 3rd parties would release products which would compete with their own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back