ALO Fidelity iMOD Auricap Docking Stations
Dec 20, 2007 at 8:49 AM Post #16 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin 3:16 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks. Now time will drag 'till I get my mad money....
frown.gif

Sorry!
evil_smiley.gif

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Dec 28, 2007 at 10:06 PM Post #17 of 64
Ken,
I assume there is no additional room in the portable Vcap dock for iPod charging capabilities. Would it be possible in a portable Auricap dock?

I would love to have easy iPod charging in a portable dock.

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by KB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks V-duh

Sure you mean a smaller version of a Vcap dock? Yeah I can do this.

Ken

Jan 1, 2008 at 4:16 PM Post #18 of 64
I am thinking of using this with my Grado RS-1 Amp.

I have read the website and the FAQ and this forum, but I want to be sure I understand the product:

1. The dock with the Auricaps works both on the 5th Gen IPOD as well as the IMOD - correct? What effect on the sound of a stock IPOD will the dock have?

2. The power suppy is only needed for charging, correct? In other words, the power can be unplugged for battery-only listening off-the grid.

3. Is the 1/8th inch jack in the back capable of driving a pair of powered speakers?

Thank you for your patience, this sounds very promising.

Jan 1, 2008 at 4:17 PM Post #19 of 64

I have read the website and the FAQ and this forum, but I want to be sure I understand the product:

1. The dock with the Auricaps works both on the 5th Gen IPOD as well as the IMOD - correct? What effect on the sound of a stock IPOD will the dock have?

2. The power suppy is only needed for charging, correct? In other words, the power can be unplugged for battery-only listening off-the grid.

3. Is the 1/8th inch jack in the back capable of driving a pair of powered speakers?

4. Can I order one custom in Mahogany?

Jan 1, 2008 at 4:55 PM Post #20 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by audioferret /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi,

The version of the dock with the caps is meant to be used with a iMod and only a iMod will benefit from using the version with the caps in it. Thats not to say the a stock ipod will not work (play music) when plugged into a capped version. I will, but for a stock ipod your going to want to use a version that does not have the caps installed as they are a unnecessary obstacle in the signal path.
Quote:

yes
Quote:

The 1/8 jack out is to send the un amped level line out signal from the ipod in the most direct and efficient way that does not degrade the audio quality to a amp. The dock is not a amplifier.
Quote:

4. Can I order one custom in Mahogany?

No sorry
Thanks for the post.
Ken
Quote:

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jan 1, 2008 at 7:30 PM Post #21 of 64
Has anyone compared the Auricap Dock to the V-Cap dock yet?

Jan 2, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #23 of 64
I just order the Auricap dock so maybe Ken will provide the V-Cap Dock for a comparison.

Jan 2, 2008 at 3:45 AM Post #25 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am going to laugh a little to myself if you end up buying the vCap afterwards.

I don't think that will happen. The V-Dock is a little more than I would want to spend.

Jan 4, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #26 of 64
Auricap01.jpg

Auricap00.jpg

Jan 6, 2008 at 7:51 PM Post #27 of 64
First update: this is very close to my Lavry in sound quality with my resolution ability.

Jan 6, 2008 at 8:52 PM Post #28 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First update: this is very close to my Lavry in sound quality with my resolution ability.

Slwiser.

Wow. Nice! Please report back as the caps burn in.

kb

Jan 25, 2008 at 1:32 AM Post #30 of 64
I have spent some time comparing the Auricap dock and the VCap dock. I slightly prefer the VCap, but not universally, and it's a much closer race than I expected. The VCap is slightly warmer in the mids than the Auricap. It initially made me think the Auricap was more detailed, but it isn't, actually, it's just a little leaner sounding. The VCap also has slightly deeper bass. Both are truly excellent sounding, though.

If I hadn't bought the VCap first, I might be tempted to save the money and go for the Auricap. However, in terms of physical form factor, the Wood VCap dock I have is not only nicer looking IMO, it has some real ergonomic advantages. I like not needing to brace the iMod while using its click-wheel, which is needed on the wood Auricap dock. But are all these things worth the price delta? Hard to say I guess. For me, in the end, yes, I prefer the VCap dock. But the Auricap dock is the better value for the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back