ALO Continental PortableTube Amp
Aug 9, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #31 of 94
OK I have just received the amp. Didn't come with any manual. Just wondering how charging work ? Is there an indicator denote completion of charging ?

Regards,
Joe Ling

Aug 12, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #34 of 94
Hi ALO  - I'm seriously considering buying the continental, specifically for use with LCD2's.
The frequency response says it goes down to 40hz?  that doesnt seem particularly low..any comments clarity on that?

thanks

Aug 12, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #35 of 94
I need help !!! I received the continental yesterday, and i try it with w10ltd and esw10 (i know it isn't suitable for that) but given that they sounds good with IEM i thought they should be fine with this kind of headphone, but in fact they sound weird, everything sounds veiled and unclear and has feels like I'm missing frequencies from low-mid to the bottom .....

Is there something i need to do before using this amp ? or did i get a defective unit ? or does this unit needs burn-in time first ? or does this unit only works well with harder to drive phone ?

Thank you

Aug 13, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #36 of 94
Maybe it doesn't synergize well with those 2 headphones...tube amps are heavy hitters with warm tonal sound, they call it Tubey-sound. They synergize well with fair and light-sounding headphones.

Aug 13, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #38 of 94
Quote:
Maybe it doesn't synergize well with those 2 headphones...tube amps are heavy hitters with warm tonal sound, they call it Tubey-sound. They synergize well with fair and light-sounding headphones.

Nope, not with desktop tube amp at least. I tried them with WA6 previously and has no problem, in fact the esw10 sounds really brilliant with those ....

Quote:
For the first 10 to 15 minutes when my continental was brand new, it sounded similar to what you mentioned. After that it really blossomed into an amazing sounding amp !!!

been 8 hours burn in now and it's getting better and better, veil starts to go away and i can feel the smooth midrange. Soundstage and separation still a problem though it feels like everything comes from the middle. i guess i need to burn in for 100 hours at least ...

Aug 16, 2011 at 10:16 AM Post #39 of 94
Just placed my order after reading very positive opinions here. Hope to get it by this weekend. 
wink_face.gif

Aug 19, 2011 at 9:39 AM Post #40 of 94
I am pairing ALO Continental with LCD2 (Rev2 with APS V3 cables) via a silver-copper hybrid LOD. The result is truly amazing. Tomorrow I will try it with JH16.

Aug 20, 2011 at 3:02 AM Post #41 of 94

Quote:
Amber color led on charger means amp is charging.    Green color led on charger means amp is charged.

Thought as much. When I first charged the amp (upon receiving it) it actually started with a green light (assuming it came fully charged). After several hours use (say 3) I stuck it back on charge, just now it switched to green after just 40 minutes. I'm using an adaptor to change the plug socket from the 2 pin to 3 pin (UK) hopefully that's not causing any issues. Unsure whether my green light is actually accurately indicating a full charge on the charger but I guess I'll have to wait and see. 

On a side note, my first impressions.

Quote:
Holy moley...lol.

I literally plugged her in, using the ALO Cricket LOD, not even fully burned in...and WOW. Instantly my fave portable amp for the T1's, no question about it. In-fact it's such a good match I'm not nearly as interested in buying the LCD-2's (for now lol). Thinking I might just re-cable the T1's with silver instead. Firstly, volume around half way to get the same volume or louder than what I had on my SR-71A at 80% of the knob. But the sound....the synergy with the T1, it's...it's just gorgeous!

That harsh sparkle and ever so slight thinness from before is replaced with smoother highs, slightly more full vocals. The bass....that's where the bulk of the improvement is. A warmer and boomier lower end, more bass presence and quantity, but is it sloppier? No. I can actually hear all the texture in the bass, but just less synthetic and snappy than before, it's highly addictive. Listening to Phantogram - Running From the Cops, the background b-line, the sort of weird reverbial bass like sound, so poignant but still un-obtrusive allowing for everything else to flow in. Then there's the medley of drums early on in an overly busy beginning section of Watch the Throne - Murder to Excellence, it's a lot easier to make out each of the drum taps (they're thicker too) than with the SR-71A which had a slight bit of overt brightness to it.

They do give the sound on the T1's a warmer sort of thicker, imo less clinical sound than the SR-71A. It's not as clean, but imo it's more engaging and fun. I always said before that I thought the slight lack of bass quantity and rare sibilance were really my only negatives of the T1, and the great news is the Continental does a good job of correcting most of that (though I need more listening and further burn in to confirm).

I won't comment on sound stage yet, all I know is that it's sounds nice and three dimensional on the Continental, allowing a good amount of instrumental separation.

In any case, thus far very pleased with both the Continental and the Cricket LOD. Will do a proper thorough and full review later. All I'll say is it's a shame these are out of stock because it is truly a beautiful portable amp. Different sort of warmer thicker, more bass heavy sound to other portable amps I've tried. Tonnes of power as well. I'm literally hitting max 6/10 on the volume knob with the T1's.

Looks gorgeous too. Glossy finish with metallic shiny silver fancy typography, looks really plush. Amp is lighter than I expected it to be too. Top marks Ken. So far, so great.

​

Aug 21, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #42 of 94
Mail one to Christopher Walken, get him to take a picture of himself with it, then I will buy one.  

Aug 21, 2011 at 10:02 AM Post #43 of 94

Quote:
Mark,

Thanks for the post. Agreed. We were pretty happy with how it drives larger headphones, it does an exceptional job. Indeed the Continental really makes 250 - 600 ohm headphones shine. My LCD2s are really humming with the Continental and with the Solo, thats just a sick combo.

The amp is just starting to reach customers so we are really looking forward to all the feedback from people. 

Ken

Sure, but LCD2's are easy compared to HE-500 or HE-6...or can yours make a K1000 "sing" like the $630 GoVibe porta tube as claimed by Jaben AU here on HF?​

The spec's posted on the site have no mention of actual power output @32ohm or anything else, disappointing.​

ALO site says "out of stock" ...does this mean more are to be made, or has the 100 unit production run sold out?​

Sep 15, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #44 of 94

Guys,

We were able to locate another lot of 6111 tubes so we will be having more Continentals available shortly. We apologize for the outage and uncertainty of the supply. If we can locate more of the NOS 6111 tubes we will continue to make the amps :wink:

In addition we will be releasing a silver version soon.

Thank you

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back