ALO Continental PortableTube Amp
Jul 22, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #16 of 94
Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Jul 22, 2011 at 9:28 AM Post #17 of 94
Just order one, hope to get it tomorrow.

Can't wait more....

Jul 22, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #18 of 94
Hey Ken,

Wow!!!!!  What an amp!  I'm really enjoying the "Continental".  Right now I'm listening using the SOLO and my Sensaphoics 2x-s'.  Even with IEM's there is no background noise.  The volume is a little touchy, but I'm able to find a comfortable listening volume.  When I get home from work, I'll try it with my HD800's.  More impressions to come.

Thanks for another awesome ALO product!  

will

Jul 22, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #19 of 94
Hey Ken,

Wow!!!!!  What an amp!  I'm really enjoying the "Continental".  Right now I'm listening using the SOLO and my Sensaphoics 2x-s'.  Even with IEM's there is no background noise.  The volume is a little touchy, but I'm able to find a comfortable listening volume.  When I get home from work, I'll try it with my HD800's.  More impressions to come.

Thanks for another awesome ALO product!  

will

Will I'm looking forward to hearing more about your impressions. I ordered one yesterday but being in Canada I'll have to wait a little for it. Its such a cool idea, and the ability to drive less sensitive headphones prompted me to get some Audez'e LCD-2s.

Enjoy the amp and am curious how I works out the the HD800s.

Jul 22, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #20 of 94
I spent a little this evening listening to my HD800's.  I'm very impressed.  This amp has tons of power!  Very black background and lots of detail. In fact, I believe this amp does a much better job of powering the HD800's than the SR-71B in balanced mode!   I kept thinking I can't believe I'm getting this kind of sound from a portable setup.  Ipod touch to SOLO to Continental to HD800's = 
o2smile.gif

I wonder if anyone will try this with the HE-6?  I'm also curious how the LCD-2's sound, although I have no experience with them yet.
wink_face.gif

Later, I'm going to see how well it holds up to my RSA B-52!  

Jul 23, 2011 at 10:45 AM Post #21 of 94
Glad to hear it works so well with the HD800s.  I'm waiting for a my continental amp and LCD-2 headphones (already had a Solo and RX Mk2 on order when I saw the continental amp come out) and will post my impressions once I receive them, let's hope the Canada post system stays at work.......

Jul 27, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #24 of 94
I got my continental today, unfortunately still waiting for the RX2/solo combo with the cables. Nice build quality and smaller than I expected. I had to try it if only with the headphone out of my iPad connected to the amp into my HD650 headphones. Even with this I was impressed with the slam of the amp with my headphones. I'm new to the headphone game and so far so good. A great product. More impressions once the solo and cables arrive, hopefully tomorrow....

*Update*

Well the solo and Rx mk2 arrived yesterday, even the unpacking was fun. I wont repeat the reviews offered on this site, but will say that this setup has surpassed my expectations for a portable setup. Of course being a relative newcomer to higher end portable audio I didn't really know what to expect! Both the mk2 and the continental are awesome amps with their own unique sound. I've been a tube guy with my stereo rig at home and it's nice to get some of that tube warmth in a portable setup. I find I like the Westone 4 best with the mk2, and listening to the continental with the sennheiser HD650 is wonderful. The bass slam with the continental is impressive and the over all sound staging and dynamics are a treat.

I'm glad I got both amps and each will serve their own purpose in my listening. Still waiting for the Audez'e headphones and will post my impressions when I have a chance to try them.

Ken thanks for making these exceptional products.

Jul 29, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #25 of 94
I received "The Continental" earlier this week, and although it's been a busy week I have tried to make as much time as possible to enjoy some aural bliss.

Here are some of the combos with IEMs that I have enjoyed:

iPod (various models) => ALO 18awg OCC Triple Pipe Cryo => Continental => Etymotic ER-4PT, Shure SE535, Westone 3, Westone 4

Now I understand from Ken that this amp was not made for IEMs, but boy do they sound good. The Etymotics really shine, it's amazing.

As for my headphones

iPod (various models) => ALO 18awg OCC Triple Pipe Cryo => Continental => AKG K701, Grado 325i, Sennheiser HD800 (with ALO Reference 8 cable)

All 3 headphones sound amazing!!!! But I'm blown away by how the Continental drives the K701. I'm literally rediscovering these headphones. My K701 probably have over 1000 hours of burn-in time and are over 5 years old with stock cabling. I'm not sure how the modified K701s sound, but my gosh it's amazing.

Ken, you have again blessed us with another great product. Kudos to you sir! 

Jul 30, 2011 at 10:56 AM Post #26 of 94
Very Nice Protable AMP, when will this be available for demo? Is it able to drive properly LCD-2 for an on-the-go rig?

I tested my Solo-MK2 on the LCD2 v2, but I still hear somewhat the sound lacking in fullness. But I really loved the Classic-Solo-MK2 combo on all my iems esp EX1000.

Aug 1, 2011 at 4:10 AM Post #27 of 94
Just bought one of these. Does it come with any adaptor to fit phones with the big sized stereoplugs ?

Aug 1, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #28 of 94
Aug 5, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #29 of 94

Users who are viewing this thread

Back