ALO Audio Studio Six Reviews and Impressions Thread
Jul 7, 2016 at 5:02 AM Post #632 of 1,383
Jul 7, 2016 at 8:26 AM Post #634 of 1,383
Best headphone SET I have heard. It just sings with the HD800's.

Aug 25, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #635 of 1,383
It's been a while since I've either posted here or rolled tubes, but I did come across an interesting tube that I replaced the 6SN7 with to have excellent results. 

The story behind it is that Mike Moffat recommended a discovery of his, the Western Electric 2C51/6750 for the Vali 2, which is electrically compatible but has a different pinout to the 6922 and equivalents. These are all compatible with the 6SN7 and there are adaptors for all these on eBay. Since I wanted to try it in the Vali 2, i bought a matched pair intending to try the second in the Studio Six. 

And it is excellent! It's a bit on the warm side, so my pairing with the warm Brimar 6V6GTs works mainly because I'm using it with HD800s, Ethers and HE1000s, but it has an expansive soundstage and brings out detail very well. The downside is I have to leave everything on for a whole day to get the best results, but now, after a bit of tweaking of my digital set-up, through the Ether Flows I can hear the air vibrating the spit in the trumpets in Goodbye Pork Pie Hat.

Aug 25, 2016 at 7:56 AM Post #636 of 1,383
That is a tube type I had never considered. Once I found my current combination I have simply enjoyed the amp. Keep us posted on your listening with it!

beerchug.gif

Oct 5, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #642 of 1,383
  anyone try the focal utopia with the studio six?

I demo'd the Utopia for a week with the Studio Six. Needless to say it was the best headphone amp/pairing I've ever heard, some serious synergy going on there...

Oct 5, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #643 of 1,383

I demo'd the Utopia for a week with the Studio Six. Needless to say it was the best headphone amp/pairing I've ever heard, some serious synergy going on there...

Tempting - maybe i'll have to stretch my budget - I have physical border of Euro 2.500,= headphones, above this price i think i can better spend it on speakers :wink:
Hearing the enthusiast comments about Utopia, i'll might give it a try. Seems to be a real allrounder, so no need to have a big headphone-collection anymore.

Oct 5, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #644 of 1,383

Tempting - maybe i'll have to stretch my budget - I have physical border of Euro 2.500,= headphones, above this price i think i can better spend it on speakers :wink:
Hearing the enthusiast comments about Utopia, i'll might give it a try. Seems to be a real allrounder, so no need to have a big headphone-collection anymore.

Well, despite my praise of it, you'll notice I don't own it. IMO $4000 is just too much money. It's better than my HE1000's and LCD-3's but doesn't exactly render them obsolete either. Though I will probably get it eventually if it comes down in price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back