ALO Audio International Impressions and Appreciation Thread
Jan 29, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #3 of 48
It's pretty rad. Can't say much more as haven't had enough time with it yet. What's for sure: much better balance/control in the volume pot for low to high Ω headphones/earphones. Makes you wonder how other ways of implementing volume pots exist.

Feb 4, 2013 at 3:19 AM Post #4 of 48
Has anyone tried this amp already? Really like to know some impressions compared to the national... by its name..supposed to be better :D

Feb 5, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #6 of 48
The only thing that makes me keep thinking to get this one is because my ak100 is on the way to my hand. The bith size is perfect match i guess. Otherwise i just get continental v3. Still not sure :)

Feb 6, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #7 of 48
Quote:
The only thing that makes me keep thinking to get this one is because my ak100 is on the way to my hand. The bith size is perfect match i guess. Otherwise i just get continental v3. Still not sure
smily_headphones1.gif

I agree with you, I am currently enjoying the amazing sound of the AK100, but I can help to feel that the mids are quite cold and the upper bass lack impact. I am looking forward to try out the International and compare the sound with the "tube sound" of the continental.

Feb 6, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #8 of 48
Quote:
I agree with you, I am currently enjoying the amazing sound of the AK100, but I can help to feel that the mids are quite cold and the upper bass lack impact. I am looking forward to try out the International and compare the sound with the "tube sound" of the continental.

You might check out the red wine mod if you don't find bass impact good from the stock AK100. Its high Ω output probably busts the sound for you.

Feb 8, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #9 of 48
Hi guys. I need help. I have alo the national. I am planning to pair this amp with my coming ak100. Now my local store is carrying the alo international already :rolleyes:...apart from being more compact in size and balance port..do you think is worth upgrading from national to international ?. Btw..i am gonna use mainly in single ended out. Thanks in advance.

-- or maybe i just get the continental v3 instead as they do have in stock as well.

Jul 16, 2013 at 7:05 AM Post #11 of 48
Glad seeing u like that combo Sam :)
Are u using the stock AK100 or modded one? What phone are u using? I had my international before. And i like it especially for driving my full size cans. I think they more suitable for that imo. What i like about International is when i used it as a dac to my laptop. I noticed the sound difference when used as a dac. But ak100 (stock) is the one that i dont really like the sound. I much prefer pairing the Inter with an ipod instead of ak100. The sound is more proper using ipod than ak100. But i sold my Inter since i got several other amps which suit me better. But Inter is also a good amp i would say.

Aug 8, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #12 of 48
I'm using the International a few ways.  I use it with my laptop as my 'desktop' rig, my 'desktop' really being a laptop that travels all over the house.  I'll get a desktop amp eventually but figured I would start with the International so at least when I go bigger for the home setup I'll still have an excellent portable amp.

The second way is connecting via the Apple Camera Connector Kit to my iPad Mini, connecting directly to the Int'l's DAC.

So far I've used HD650s and HE-400s with it.  For shiggles I also tried my Sennheiser Momentums, which already sound pretty good straight out of an iPhone.  All three immediately revealed themselves as different, and better, than I understood them when I started listening to them with a Magni/Modi stack.  I'm finding everything I have runs effortlessly, pretty much before the knob hits noon -- there's definitely enough power here to drive almost anything, I'd guess.

The only thing that might give one pause: if you're considering using one of the Cypher Labs units, these fit much better with other ALO amps (specifically the Continental and RX Mk3-b).  And you won't need the DAC functionality of the Int'l anyway if you're going that route.  Worth considering if that whole portable desktop-quality-rig is going to be on your roadmap.  I didn't really know enough about the Cypher and considered it briefly, at which point I sort of wished I had gotten one of the other two amps I mentioned above.

Otherwise I'm happy to throw my appreciation into this appreciation thread.  This is something that will be a permanent part of my toy chest.  From clean, authoritative sound to solid build quality (and the prompt and courteous responses to various unrelated questions I've sent to support at ALO) this is a purchase I would definitely make again and again if I were in the same position as when I bought it.  I look forward to completely wearing it out over the coming years.

Aug 12, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #13 of 48
I couldn't be happier with mine, I bought my International used here and I just love the hell out of it.  ALO support was fantastic, had some bumps in the road but it was all taken care of quickly.

Aug 19, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #14 of 48
The ALO Audio Int'l is the center of the sneaky portable rig I posted here.
My Pan Am arrives soon, can't wait to hear it.  Seems like the International has turned me into an ALO loyalist.
Pound for pound probably the single headfi purchase I've been happiest with so far.

Aug 22, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #15 of 48
I like my International. I connect it to a Meridian Explorer and Mac Mini. LCD3s.

That said, its just a little too claustrophobic for the classical music I like to listen to. The orchestra feels compressed into a small room. Individual instruments are there - just in a smaller room. It also lacks the realism in horns I would like to see. 

I am waiting for a Pan Am and some tubes to compare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back