ALO Audio International Impressions and Appreciation Thread
Oct 20, 2013 at 8:42 AM Post #31 of 48
What's a CCK?

I just double checked to make sure my International works with my MBA -- at first nothing -- but then I remembered I forgot to change settings on my MBA in System Prefs | Sound - and select ALO device. Works like a charm. I just connected the Solo db - same thing - just select the Cypher device listed in the output section and it works great. Listening to Sumner McKane right now -- beautiful sound...

Oct 20, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #32 of 48
Now I have a question --- I just tried to use the lightning cable I used to connect my iPhone 5 to the Solo db to connect to the ALO International -- but what appears to be a mini usb connector on the cable doesn't fit the ALO - it seems a touch too big. The strange thing is my nice Furutech usb cable fits both the Solo and the International.

Is there a mini a / mini b connector?

If so -- how do I go about finding a lightning cable that will fit the ALO so I can test to see if it works with my iPhone 5 directly? I see on the ALO site they claim that with iOS7, you can now use the DAC in the International with the iPhone 5 -- that would be nice - I could keep the Solo db at home...

Oct 20, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #34 of 48
I used a connector the headphone shop said they got from Cypher. You may want to send them a note to ask.

"The people at ALO never tried using The International with an iPhone 5s to see if it works or not."

I don't think that's unreasonable given the 5s is brand spanking new. I don't think you can assume that what works for the iPhone 5 will also work on the 5s.

And - I missed the part about your International not working with your MBA - mine works fine (with and without the Solo).

Should I send a note to the headphone shop or Cypher?

You're right, you can't assume that. But, before I bought The International from ALO, they told me the iPhone 5s would work with The International.

Oct 20, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #35 of 48
  ...The ALO International has never been marketed as anything other than a USB DAC, which in turn means no promises it will or won't work with iOS devices. They have communicated that the iPhone 5 with the CCK does work, though.

This is from ALO Audio's facebook page:

Breaking News! With iOS 7 you can now use your iPhone 5 as a source with The International. Check out the video below and see for yourself!​
 ​
And, there's a video on their facebook page showing the iPhone 5 working with The International. So, it is marketed (by ALO) to work with an iOS device -- the iPhone 5. I was told by the people at ALO that the iPhone 5s would work with The International.​

Oct 20, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #36 of 48
  What's a CCK?

I just double checked to make sure my International works with my MBA -- at first nothing -- but then I remembered I forgot to change settings on my MBA in System Prefs | Sound - and select ALO device. Works like a charm. I just connected the Solo db - same thing - just select the Cypher device listed in the output section and it works great. Listening to Sumner McKane right now -- beautiful sound...

You're lucky, because the ALO device never showed up on my MBA in System Prefs | Sound. For some reason it never has.

Oct 20, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #37 of 48
Call Cypher for the connector I referred to -- or send an email.

And -- my MBA is running - 10.8.5 for reference.

My challenge now is finding a Lightning to Mini B connector so I can use the ALO DAC with the iPhone -- I don't know how else you'd connect the two.

Oct 20, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #38 of 48
  If so -- how do I go about finding a lightning cable that will fit the ALO so I can test to see if it works with my iPhone 5 directly? I see on the ALO site they claim that with iOS7, you can now use the DAC in the International with the iPhone 5 -- that would be nice - I could keep the Solo db at home...

Since Best Buy is closer to my house, I bought the "Lightning to USB Camera Adapter" there. After you pick-up the adapter, please let me know if you can get your iPhone 5 to work with The International. Thanks.

Oct 20, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #39 of 48
  Call Cypher for the connector I referred to -- or send an email.

And -- my MBA is running - 10.8.5 for reference.

My challenge now is finding a Lightning to Mini B connector so I can use the ALO DAC with the iPhone -- I don't know how else you'd connect the two.

Thank you. I'll call Cypher tomorrow. My MBA is also running 10.8.5. There's a video on ALO Audio's facebook page showing how to connect the two.

Here's a link to the video:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201335605985218&set=vb.110094225748830&type=3&theater

Oct 20, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #40 of 48
I just got back fro Apple - picked up the lightning / USB camera connector - everything works great with the international. I will say it took maybe 20 seconds to handshake devices - but I'm listening as I send this.

Oct 20, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #41 of 48
Does one of your friends own an iPhone 5s? It would be nice to know if you can get the iPhone 5s to work.

I went to RadioShack and tried one of their cables, and it still didn't work. I might just have a bad unit.

Jan 10, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #44 of 48
Can anyone tell how the ALO International compares to V-Moda Vamp Verza? My V-Moda died and I am going to the dealer and thought maybe I ask him to swap it against this one.

Does ALO International actually work with iPod classic 160GB?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back