ALO Audio Continental V3 Impressions and Appreciation Thread
Nov 11, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #106 of 145
  Thanks zorin for the info.
I have notice a slight decrease in battery life, aprox. one hour shorter.
Is the batter replaceable?
I was surprised the amp did not come with a manual.

The next time you use the Continental drain the battery completely and then recharge it fully. During the next use drain the battery completely again and then again recharge it fully and then use it for at least an hour. Do not leave it fully charged and not used. Do it a few times each time you use this amp. This procedure should help counteract the 'memory fatigue' of the battery. If the serving time of the battery is still one hour short then that means that the battery starts losing capacity to hold the electric charge, probably due to the effect of aging caused by excessive heat. When it gets down to three hours then it is time to get a new battery. The battery of the Continental is glued in its place and you would have to ask ALO Audio if they can change it, but depending on how often you use this amp you still have about 2 years of use ahead. ALO Audio should make a better design related to the battery of the Continental. The ALO Audio does not want people poking into the insides of this amplifier. Probably ALO Audio thinks that the manual would encourage the people to do so.

Nov 13, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #108 of 145
I'm so glad that I didn't give up on this amp. At first I was like ...hmmm this don't sound like a tube anp kinda thing. And to be honest even after a few hundred hours it still really don't..but it has opened up and just sounds amazing imo. The mids are sweet..it really is a very clean and very detailed amp..I love this thing .if your looking for a amp that will give you that bump in the bottom end..this is not it..but if your looking for a very detailed very clean neutral amp with and black back ground even with some really sensitive iems..this is for you...I think it's getting better and better with each listen..I'm not sure but I think I'm up around 300 hours with it now..and it's really starting to sound beautiful and lush..like I said I'm so happy that I didn't give up on it. I almost sold it...amazing little amp..:)

Nov 14, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #109 of 145
I'm so glad that I didn't give up on this amp. At first I was like ...hmmm this don't sound like a tube anp kinda thing. And to be honest even after a few hundred hours it still really don't..but it has opened up and just sounds amazing imo. The mids are sweet..it really is a very clean and very detailed amp..I love this thing .if your looking for a amp that will give you that bump in the bottom end..this is not it..but if your looking for a very detailed very clean neutral amp with and black back ground even with some really sensitive iems..this is for you...I think it's getting better and better with each listen..I'm not sure but I think I'm up around 300 hours with it now..and it's really starting to sound beautiful and lush..like I said I'm so happy that I didn't give up on it. I almost sold it...amazing little amp..:)

The Continental has a plus 3 dB lift of the bass. It is a compensatory bass lift for headphones listening and one can slightly hear this boost. I consider it still a neutral amplifier and having the best presentation of the middle frequencies of any portable amplifiers. The middle frequencies sound so clean and clear and with a hint of aural honey. It is indeed an amazing little amp.

Nov 14, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #110 of 145
The Continental has a plus 3 dB lift of the bass. It is a compensatory bass lift for headphones listening and one can slightly hear this boost. I consider it still a neutral amplifier and having the best presentation of the middle frequencies of any portable amplifiers. The middle frequencies sound so clean and clear and with a hint of aural honey. It is indeed an amazing little amp.
I believe you..maybe my ears don't hear that bump..maybe cause I'm old lol but your rite the middle is so sweet..I've tried other amps like at a headphone shop in Toronto and I just wanted to go back to the continental..lol I'm using pretty neutral iems too so maybe that's why..I find with iems with a dynamic driver like me ie80's really makes them shine ..with armature drivers it can sound a tad thin..well at least within the first couple hundred hours..now that it's getting over that point of maybe 300 hours it has really opened up..I need to buy a pair of full size cans and see how it works...thanks for the comment..I'm no pro at this stuff lol just know what I like :)

Nov 14, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #111 of 145
How many hours roughly burn in would you think ? And what iems are you using ?
omg..
I only have like 95hrs on mine...
So if I left it on without use would that also be considered "burn in"?
:)
Woops I just notice this is the "V3" thread & I have the "V2" but should apply anyway especially that info on the battery thanks zorin :)

Nov 15, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #112 of 145
omg..
Woops I just notice this is the "V3" thread & I have the "V2" but should apply anyway especially that info on the battery thanks zorin :)
To be honest I'm bot sure..I would think you'd need to play it but I could be wrong..

Nov 16, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #113 of 145
omg..
smily_headphones1.gif

Woops I just notice this is the "V3" thread & I have the "V2" but should apply anyway especially that info on the battery thanks zorin
smily_headphones1.gif

You just waste the battery life and the valve/tube life. The sound difference between "burned in" and pre-burned in valve/tube and other components of amplification is not dramatic; it is subtle. A lot of those who have damaged their sense of hearing by listening, for years, to music at the very loud levels would not even hear much of the difference. Go ahead, use the Continental as it is and enjoy the music. I hope it is good, this amp deserves it too.

Nov 19, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #114 of 145
Thanks for the tip on storing the amp at 80% battery life. I'll go charge and play it tonight. Beyond that, as for sound, I have the International and there is something right about the Continental. It does not offer an obvious tube sound (i.e. euphonic) but rather a more palpable sound. This is quite apparent on my UE Reference monitors but also my TH900s and Ultrasone Edition 8s.

Dec 5, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #116 of 145
All I know is about 6hr runtime but battery is not replaceable anyway.
You would send back to ALO once battery old but I assume that would be a few years from now..

Dec 5, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #117 of 145
my estimate is 4000mah battery, as the supplied charger is capable of providing max 1A charge current . the manual suggest 3-4 hours to fully charged the V3, hence my guess of 4000mah capacity. I looking at external battery of at least 4000mah to charge the V3 when traveling.

thanks.

Dec 6, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #118 of 145
hey so which you like better the V2 or V3 ?

Dec 11, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #119 of 145
hi all, I am truly enjoying my V3, with the exception of crackling noise in one side of my IEM. I understand this is part of the characteristic of a tube amp, but does it happen only on one side of the IEM? the other side is silent. I tried my other IEM, same observation of one side crackling softly behind the music, not affected by the volume and the other side-silent!

Dec 11, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #120 of 145
hi all, I am truly enjoying my V3, with the exception of crackling noise in one side of my IEM. I understand this is part of the characteristic of a tube amp, but does it happen only on one side of the IEM? the other side is silent. I tried my other IEM, same observation of one side crackling softly behind the music, not affected by the volume and the other side-silent!
I think I've heard that on the left side of my w4r "s thought maybe it's just in the songs on my ipod.. Didn't know it was from the amp.. But I've listened to them without the amp and it's not there.. Weird.. Don't really think it's that bad or any kind of deal breaker but it's there..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back