Almost but not quite...
Apr 21, 2008 at 4:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

number1sixerfan

Headphoneus Supremus
I received a Woo 6 from the FS forums and I really, really love the sound of it. It is very versatile and feels like a great match for every can I've used. I am only encountering one problem and it's with the HD650's. It just seems like there isn't enough juice for them. I have to listen at 90% or higher and sometimes it just doesn't feel like it's enough.

I'm using 5AR4 rectifier tubes, is there anything that could possibly improve this? Can any other Senn users chim in...I'd hate to sell this amp as I have never used an amp with a more balanced and complete sound for my taste.

Apr 21, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #2 of 23
this may be unrelated to your post and it is not my intention to tell you to sell your amp if that is what my post comes across as.

i used a little dot mk v with my 650s and i could never push the volume knob past 35/100 (normal listening volume) and 50/100 just for those few songs that pretty much require you pump the volume up. my windows volume was fixed at 50%. i tried going up to 80 once with a really soft song and i was scared i might have damaged my ears.

again, im not saying sell your amp and get a mk v but just that at roughly half the cost, theres another offering that has absolutely no trouble driving the 650. i havent heard the woo 6 so i cant compare it with the mk v but the ld was pretty much the best amp ive heard so far (< $500).

can they drive other phones with ease? or is it a problem for all cans?

Apr 21, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by crappyjones123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this may be unrelated to your post and it is not my intention to tell you to sell your amp if that is what my post comes across as.

i used a little dot mk v with my 650s and i could never push the volume knob past 35/100 (normal listening volume) and 50/100 just for those few songs that pretty much require you pump the volume up. my windows volume was fixed at 50%. i tried going up to 80 once with a really soft song and i was scared i might have damaged my ears.

again, im not saying sell your amp and get a mk v but just that at roughly half the cost, theres another offering that has absolutely no trouble driving the 650. i havent heard the woo 6 so i cant compare it with the mk v but the ld was pretty much the best amp ive heard so far (< $500).

can they drive other phones with ease? or is it a problem for all cans?

Well, even with the W5000's that are really effecient, I have to push it past about 50-60%. When I had the RSA HR-2 it was more like 30-35%. I am using the same dac and setup in itunes.

Apr 21, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I received a Woo 6 from the FS forums and I really, really love the sound of it. It is very versatile and feels like a great match for every can I've used. I am only encountering one problem and it's with the HD650's. It just seems like there isn't enough juice for them. I have to listen at 90% or higher and sometimes it just doesn't feel like it's enough.

I'm using 5AR4 rectifier tubes, is there anything that could possibly improve this? Can any other Senn users chim in...I'd hate to sell this amp as I have never used an amp with a more balanced and complete sound for my taste.

Hi: You probly know this already, but someone posted before about an impedance switch that was wired wrong, so try flipping the switch down for the 650's instead of up!. Maybe the tubes are on their way out? Huck

Apr 21, 2008 at 6:57 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Huck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi: You probly know this already, but someone posted before about an impedance switch that was wired wrong, so try flipping the switch down for the 650's instead of up!. Maybe the tubes are on their way out? Huck

Yea, but mine is wired right. As for the tubes I have a good number of them with the same effect. Does anyone know if chaging the rectifier tube will yield different results?

Apr 21, 2008 at 6:57 PM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, even with the W5000's that are really effecient, I have to push it past about 50-60%. When I had the RSA HR-2 it was more like 30-35%. I am using the same dac and setup in itunes.

dang, seems to me that the amp may not have enough juice after all, period.

WooAudio6 - Single-Ended Class A Tube Headphone Amplifier with Output Transformer

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...lifier-289765/

i wonder how/why it costs that much when the specs are a tad weaker compared to the mk v. obviously one is a tube and the other is a ss but i still dont understand.

even the mk iv seems to be a tad better spec wise.

i dont know if that has anything to do with the volume issue but i just cant get past the cost issue for some reason.

i knew about the woo audio amps but didnt know they were that expensive...can anyone explain as to why they cost this much?

Apr 21, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #8 of 23
You cannot judge amps like this based purely on specs.

The WooAudio3, with the more powerful 6AS7G output tube, might be a better choice for the HD650's in terms of output level.

Apr 21, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #9 of 23
Hi: Seven o'clock is "zero" on my WA6 with the Electro - Harmonix 5U4G rectifier and 2 Westinghouse 6DE7's, with my HD-600's 10-11 o'clock is plenty loud for me! Thanks, Huck

Apr 21, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by crappyjones123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i knew about the woo audio amps but didnt know they were that expensive...can anyone explain as to why they cost this much?

Woo Audio is a US based company, and everything is made in the US. Little Dot is Chinese and everything is made in China. That is why the Woo amps are so much.

Apr 22, 2008 at 11:36 AM Post #11 of 23
I am going to try to change the rectifier tube first as I love the sound. It is probably the most enjoyable amp I have ever had. I just need to figure this out...I may even get rid of the hd650's until I am ready to upgrade.

Apr 22, 2008 at 12:24 PM Post #12 of 23
Zana Deux is what you need, imo.
cool.gif

Apr 23, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Zana Deux is what you need, imo.
cool.gif

Not for another $1400! lol At least not until I move and get situated. I am stuck with options under $1000 at least for the next month or two.

Apr 23, 2008 at 4:41 AM Post #14 of 23
Yeah, first do try the tube upgrade Skylab suggests; Then, if still not satisfied, you may very well want to give the Denons a go and decide to let the HD-650s go...

Best regards~

Apr 23, 2008 at 12:41 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, first do try the tube upgrade Skylab suggests;

Skylab suggested a different amp entirely, not just a tube upgrade.

And to answer the OP's question - no, rolling the rectifier shouldn't have much of an effect at all. And rolling 5AR4s could get absurdly expensive, good NOS tubes generally sell for more than $100 each.
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back