Allround tube headphone amp....
Nov 6, 2008 at 8:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

stickers11

New Head-Fier
Okay, firstly don't hate me for double or triple posting.
Looking for a headphone amp (tube) that can handle both low and high impedance headphones....ie Senns and Grados. Granted my current collection of phones are 32 and 57 ohms respectively. I also like the idea of speaker outs for a set of efficient speakers, or at least preouts.

I know I may be asking a lot, but jeez I don't think I need several amps in case I start a headphone collection...

Been looking at Woo, Space Tech and Shanling....

Any other ideas? - Thanks....

Nov 6, 2008 at 8:15 AM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by stickers11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking for a headphone amp (tube) that can handle both low and high impedance headphones....ie Senns and Grados. Granted my current collection of phones are 32 and 57 ohms respectively. I also like the idea of speaker outs for a set of efficient speakers, or at least preouts.

-What do you really need/want from that amp? All the features listed above?
-Need to know your budget.

Nov 6, 2008 at 10:03 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by stickers11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know I may be asking a lot, but jeez I don't think I need several amps in case I start a headphone collection...

There's nothing wrong with starting an amp collection, too.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Anyhow, what are you looking to spend? If you're willing to do a little work yourself, the Bottlehead S.E.X. might be what you're looking for. It'll drive headphones and efficient speakers. One of the few on the market that will. Quite a few double as preamps, though. I'm using the Zana as one right now - it costs a little more than the Bottlehead, but I use it as both a preamp for my speaker setup and for headphones.

Nov 6, 2008 at 10:39 AM Post #4 of 13
I'd recommend the Little Dot MKIII headphone amp. It has DIP switch settings to handle headphones from 32 to 600 ohms in impedance and has a pre-amp out.

Plus, it sounds great!

Nov 6, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #6 of 13
Woo amps are certainly excellent. You could also consider a tube/ss hybrid since you have low impedance headphones. like the Head-Direct EF1.

Nov 6, 2008 at 11:30 PM Post #7 of 13
Single Power Extreme-used.

Skylab,
That MPX pic of your bedside rig is just spectacular. All the matching wood and red based tubes with the black amp is just sic. Is there a guest room rig?
icon10.gif

Nov 7, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Skylab,
That MPX pic of your bedside rig is just spectacular. All the matching wood and red based tubes with the black amp is just sic. Is there a guest room rig?
icon10.gif

Thanks! I love wood
biggrin.gif

Nov 7, 2008 at 7:05 AM Post #13 of 13
Woo or Darkvoice/Little Dot...

Or DIY would keep you around your budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back