Allnic HPA-5000XL "The Korean OTL/OCL Headphone Amp Beast (The Updated Version )" 🙂
Feb 3, 2023 at 3:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Saberpunch

100+ Head-Fier
I haven't heard too many posts on Allnic products in this forum except a few. There has been discussion on the Allnic HPA-5000XL, but for some reason, there isn't any dedicated thread for the Allnic HPA-5000XL in this forum. There is one thread for the HPA-5000, but not the updated HPA-5000XL. So, I thought I would create one to find fellow Allnic Audio kin with this Allnic HPA-5000XL thread and spread the good word about Allnic Audio. Also wanted to give a shoutout to John from kevalinaudio, he answer a lot of my questions. So some of the information I got was from him and some of the information I got was from research on the Internet.

Introduction:

Per their official websites, "The HPA- 5000XL is Allnic Audio’s Output Transformer-Less (OTL) and Output Capacitor Less (OCL) stereo headphone amplifier. The HPA- 5000XL utilizes a true balanced Positive-Negative cancellation circuit. The HPA- 5000XL has a voltage gain of +28dB, and a maximum output of 5 watts. Offering stunningly realistic music reproduction, it works best with headphones having an impedance from 30 to 600 ohms." The Allnic HPA-5000XL is the updated version of the Allnic HPA-5000. The Allnic HPA-5000 is known to perform best with low-impedance headphones (30-50 ohms) and planar headphones and the performance it brings to the low-impedance headphones and planar headphones is a top-level unique and beautiful sound. With the newly updated HPA-5000XL version, this tube amp can now perform on a high level with high-impedance headphones as well now thanks to the newly updated power supply and newly added balance input and output.

20230203_145831.JPG

20230203_145858.JPG

Technical Specification :
- Inputs: One (1) pair Unbalanced (RCA). One (1) pair Balanced (XLR)
- Headphone Output: One (1) one-quarter inch (1/4”). One (1) four-pin Balanced (XLR)
- Frequency Response: 20Hz ~ 20KHz (±0.3db)
- Voltage Gain: +28dB
- S/N Ratio: -68dB (CCIR, 1kHz)
- Output Wattage: 5 Watts
- Maximum Input Voltage: 5 volts RMS
- Optimum Headphone Impedance: 30 to 600 ohms
- THD (Total Harmonic Distortion): Less than 0.03% (1KHz, Output 1V)
- S/ N Ratio: -68db (CCIR, 1KHz)
- Power Consumption: 70 Watts
- Tubes:
• 2 Tubes of 6AN8 – New Old Stock – first gain stage – no equivalents
• 2 Tubes of E180CC - New Old Stock - Second gain stage - approximately electrically (not sonically) equivalent: CV8431, 7062, 5965, 12AV7, 6414, 6829
• 4 Tubes of 7233 – New Old Stock – no equivalents
- Fuse: AC 2A, 250V
- Dimensions(WDH): 230mm (9.1 inches) x 380mm (3 inches) x 165mm (6.5 inches)
- Weight: 9kg (19.9 lbs) net; 11kg (24.26 lbs) shipping

1676132973783.png

20230203_150058.JPG

20230203_150505 2.jpg

Tubes:

The Allnic HPA-5000XL will be able to use:

• Four (4) x NOS 7233 triode

• Two (2) x NOS E-180CC double triode

• Two (2) x NOS 6AN8 triode-pentode

You do not have to worry about tube voltage matching. I was informed that the tube trims as set so there is no need to worry about tube voltage matching. You do have to worry about the meter in the center. Tube bias is monitored by viewing the meter for each of the right and left channels. When the tube bias is correct the meter needle will be in the center of the meter. Tube biasing, if required, is performed by using a small screwdriver to rotate the yellow bias screw directly above the relevant meter so that the meter needle is in the center section of the meter, between the green and red sections. The Allnic HPA-5000XL uses “Absorb GEL tube damper" system. Per the website, "...Technology prevents harmful vibrations from reaching the driver tubes and, therefore, prevents micro-phonic noise propagation in the tubes. The Allnic Audio Absorb Gel damper technology effectively solves a problem that plagues most tube amplification systems. Provided other tube components do not introduce micro-phonic noise into your system, with the Absorb Gel damping system, you will enjoy a degree of transparent sound that will surprise and please you."

20230203_150726.JPG

SE vs Balanced:
So, you see that little button. You got to push that button to switch from RCA to XLR. When it's pressed down, that means it's in XLR input mode. When the button is no longer being pressed down, that means it's in RCA input mode. 6.3mm output vs the 4-pin XLR output, I don't really hear a difference. I feel like the 4-pin XLR doesn't even give more juice compared to the 6.3mm output. The output voltage and sound quality might be the same for both the 6.3mm output and the 4-pin XLR output. But when it comes to input, I recommend going with the XLR cables over the RCA cables. You will get a cleaner sound quality and more power. I feel like the bass is stronger in the XLR input, but that might be my cables or that the XLR just provides more volume the bass just gets more powerful. Again, It could also be that my XLR cables are of higher quality than my RCA cables...

Black Background:
After some time, I switch from a PC to a dedicated streamer in my audio chain. Because of that, I have been getting consistent black background with the Allnic HPA-5000XL. Yeah, a black background on an OTL/OCL Tube amp is kinda insane. How does Allnic do this? Allnic parts are in-house including their attenuator and all nickel core transformer. Allnic goal is to provide as minimal distortion as possible while still bringing that musical sound. So if you hear any unwanted noise from the Allnic amp, you might want to check your source. You will get a consistent black background with RCA inputs at all volume ranges. With XLR input, only when you max out the volume pot, you will pick up a faint radio noise. I cannot confirm if this is only me because of my cable, but it is not a big deal since you can only hear the faint radio noise at max volume and I never had to go past the number 15 on the volume pot. Any volume before hitting max, you will get a black background. That means I never really have to deal with the faint radio noise. It's only if for some reason you want to max out the volume pot all the way, just go with the RCA interconnect for the black background at max volume. But I will be more worried about your ears than that radio noise if you feel you have to max out the amp volume lol.

20230203_151547.JPG

Short Sound Impression:

This will be my short sound impression summary for the Allnic HPA-5000XL. The Allnic HPA-5000XL is clean and powerful enough, and it adds a hint of special flavor to make the sound more... euphoric. Well-made amps will give a good noticeable boost in resolution to your headphones, which is also true with the Allnic HPA-5000XL. I feel like all my headphones had their shackles broken and can finally perform to the best of their abilities. It's like I found a whole new secret planet of audio to start my new adventure in. I never heard my Onkyo A800 and Audio Technica L3000 sound so clean and with great clarity with any other amp, except the Beta22. Soundstage gets a little bit of an increase on my headphones, but I get a feeling of a more 3D type of soundstage with the HPA-5000XL. I used a whole lot of headphones on the Allnic HPA-5000XL, AKG K240 Sextett EP (600 Ohms), AKG K340 Red Driver (400 Ohms), Sennheiser HD580 Jubilee (300 Ohms), Audio-Technica ATH-L3000 (48 Ohms), Onkyo A800 (32 Ohms), and etc etc. Even with all these diverse impedance headphones, the Allnic HPA-5000XL was able to drive them all and had them perform astonishingly great.

Afterthought:
People who review the Allnic HPA-5000 said that the HPA-5000 fits perfectly with low impedance and planar headphones. I think with the updated HPA-5000XL, the amp could definitely work well with more headphones with higher-impedance headphones now. Hearing the Sennheiser HD580 Jubilee on the HPA-5000XL was magical. So the HPA-5000XL could definitely work with higher-impedance headphones as well now. I like the Allnic HPA-5000XL, I hope to find other people enjoy this amp as well or at least get to hear this amp one day. This amp is truly something special.

My Chain: Roon > Mojo Audio Mystique EVO >Audience OHNO XLR Cables> Allnic HPA-5000XL > Headphones

Attachments

• 20230203_150505.JPG
    20230203_150505.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 3, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #2 of 6
I had a chance to extensively audition both the HPA-3000GT and the brand new HPA-5000XL at the main distributor's show room the other day. Set up was with a Marantz CD transport connected to Allnic's legendary D-5000 DAC with full balance cables connecting to the each headphone amps with HD800s connected by 4pin balanced. I didn't bring my music library with me so had to use whatever demo CDs they had a the listening room (Mahler no.1 by Abbado, 32bit hidef demo music, various Jazz albums etc).
In short, I totally agree with @npdang assessment on how each headphone amps differ but magnified by about 10x. HPA-3000GT paints a great detailed/transparent picture but the HPA-5000XL brings the image to another level (easiest comparison would be looking at an image in 2D UXGA vs super sharp 4KUHD that makes it look 3D). Each note that resonnated from the headphone by the HPA-5000XL was much sharper and clearer that it made it look like it had depth. This led to an image rendition by the headphones that actually made me feel like I was standing with the conductor of a large orchestra (by the HPA-5000XL) compared to sitting at the middle front row of a nice concert hall (HPA-3000GT).

After the demo session, I had no choice but to upgrade to the HPA-5000XL, the decision was a no-brainer for me (sigh another hit to my ever thinning wallet but oh well...)
With full balance in/outputs with no need to set to certain impedance output for headphones (previous 5000 models needed to be set to either low or high impedence), I believe I found my TOTL headphone amp and can't wait for my unit to arrive.

Hope this helps and enjoy the music!

^ Here is a nice little 1st impression from the other thread if you want more impressions.

Feb 3, 2023 at 3:46 PM Post #4 of 6
Who retails in the US?
You could find all the Allnic products distributors at their website https://allnicaudio.com/distributors/.
For the US, it's Kevalin Audio. John was selling discounted Allnic HPA-5000XL at USAM at the moment (I don't know if it's still ongoing). If you reply to his ad there he might be able to give you a discounted US version. The ad was originally supposed to be for the 230v, but he sold me a US version anyway.

Feb 3, 2023 at 7:41 PM Post #6 of 6
I was reading the owner's manual of the HPA-5000 to see if there are any cool features I should know about. I came across Note#2, "The HPA-5000XL will work with most IEC type aftermarket power cords. The Allnic ZL-3000 and ZL-5000 power cables will make an excellent match. Of course, only you can determine the power cord that works most synergistically with the HPA-5000 XL in your system."

I was like, cool they make cables too. Went to the website to check out how much the power cables cost and... ZL 3000 at $1470 and ZL 5000 at $2300. I have never been down the power cables rabbit hole but looks like I might jump in. Nothing wrong with the stock cables, but I notice a nice increase in sound quality using better XLR and RCA cables so I thought might as well replace the power cables. Going to research the ZL-3000 and ZL-5000 and see if they are any third-party replicates that sell them cheaper. I also noticed that Allnic makes their own interconnect cables too, going to check those out. I wish they sold those upgraded power cables and interconnects as a bundle when I bought the already expensive Allnic HPA-5000.

1675471294909.png

1675471306740.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back