Allergic reaction to the HF-1?
Sep 26, 2005 at 1:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Vkamicht

100+ Head-Fier
Argh, this sucks.

Since yesterday my entire head has been itching pretty bad, my neck, my face and my scalp.

Yesterday I got my HF-1s.

I can't think of anything else I've encountered in the last two days that I usually don't.

I've owned the SR-80s and the MS-2 in the past. Is it possible I'm allergic to the wood?
frown.gif

Damn, I really like these too. Right now my wrists are a little broken out, seems to just get worse when I scratch it.

I conducted a little experiment... I rubbed my HF-1s on the top of my foot, i'll see what happens.

Sep 26, 2005 at 1:53 AM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude
Yeah, uh, note to self: do not buy Vkamicht's HF-1.
wink.gif

Oh, come on now, I took a shower today, I'm very clean.

But seriously. I'm just going to not wear them for a day or two and see if my itching continues or if I break out anymore. I really hope it's not the mahogany or anything... I like these too much.

Sep 26, 2005 at 1:55 AM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vkamicht
Oh, come on now, I took a shower today, I'm very clean.

But seriously. I'm just going to not wear them for a day or two and see if my itching continues or if I break out anymore. I really hope it's not the mahogany or anything... I like these too much.

But I guess the chamber of the phones does not touch you?
I would assume you made contact with the pads and the head band only.
Try to use the pads you got from MS-2 (if you still have them).
rolleyes.gif

Sep 26, 2005 at 1:56 AM Post #6 of 22
Well, like I mentioned, right now my wrists/arms and neck seem to be the main problem. I think it's possible I touched the wood buttons and transferred it to my arms/neck when I scratch them. Otherwise, it would have to be the plastic or the pads. Unless John switched materials or something found its way on to my HF-1s I don't see that as a possibility.

Sep 26, 2005 at 1:58 AM Post #7 of 22
Hi Vkamicht,

Pop an antihistamine and keep rocking to the HF-1. I doubt it's the wood, because you don't really come in contact with the wood driver housing at all. I suspect it could be the package material or the chemicals in them that you are allergy to.

The Grado's you've had in the past were brand new? Maybe it pays to give the HF-1 a gentle wipe down and see if you get any more break outs anymore?

Do you have other allergies?

Overlunge

Sep 26, 2005 at 2:06 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by overlunge
Hi Vkamicht,

Pop an antihistamine and keep rocking to the HF-1. I doubt it's the wood, because you don't really come in contact with the wood driver housing at all. I suspect it could be the package material or the chemicals in them that you are allergy to.

The Grado's you've had in the past were brand new? Maybe it pays to give the HF-1 a gentle wipe down and see if you get any more break outs anymore?

Do you have other allergies?

The 80s were brand new, the MS-2 was secondhand.

I have basic seasonal allergies, but none of them make me break out like this (with little bumps you can see). I've had this happen to me once in the past, it had to do with the mesquite on the "Mesquite BBQ Potato Chips". They made me break out pretty badly.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try wiping them down, and I'll switch out the pads for an older pair I have, see if that helps.

Sep 26, 2005 at 2:16 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vkamicht
The 80s were brand new, the MS-2 was secondhand.

I have basic seasonal allergies, but none of them make me break out like this (with little bumps you can see). I've had this happen to me once in the past, it had to do with the mesquite on the "Mesquite BBQ Potato Chips". They made me break out pretty badly.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try wiping them down, and I'll switch out the pads for an older pair I have, see if that helps.

If it's the wood button that's causing the break out, you should have reaction fingers. But if it's your neck/wrist/arm, I would suggest it is either other parts of the headphones ie. headband around your neck./chemical in the packiaging material or other allergens... (may be I suggest something that you were wearing if it's long sleeves), have you checked if you got a masquito/spider bite somewhere?

If the reaction persists after taking some anti-histamine, or re-occurs, maybe pays to go to see your family doctor to get a skin scratch test done.

The HF-1 #6x family should look after each other..
wink.gif

Overlunge

Sep 26, 2005 at 2:20 AM Post #14 of 22
Well, I have a pretty bad bump on my neck from 3-4 days ago, my family who looked at it said it looked like a spider bite. As of right now it's starting to go away. The only reason I look at the HF-1 as the culprit is I didn't start having this problem until I wore them.

Thanks for caring, guys. If I have absolutely no problems tomorrow, then wear them again on Tuesday and have problems, well, then it's definately the Grados. I'll just have to try and find what part of them it is and fix it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back