All X5L LODs Reviewed! iAudio Owners Must Read! [Pics Warning]
Jun 24, 2006 at 9:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

B-side J

100+ Head-Fier
Ok This is my first audio related review, so there are some things that I have to say right off the bat. I AM NOT AN AUDIOPHILE!
tongue.gif
I just LOVE music! I am new to Hi-fi, but have always had a decent stereo, and feel that I have good ears. Everything I say in this review is my opinion and should be taken with a grain of salt. This review is un-biased and fully controlled.

I will be reviewing the following Line Out cables on Sound Quality, and Build Quality/Design, on a rating scale of 1 to 10 and well as giving my opinion on the value for your money. The LODs included in my review are: AudioLineOut's Sliver, Copper (not released yet), and Silk Docks, Qables' X5L dock (SwitchCraft option), and Zynsonix VRAY Prime LOD (made by request).

P1020501.jpg

I used Flac lossless files, XM3 for amping, and iM716s/KSC75s for my rig, because that is after all these cables are made to be used in a portable setting.

For Music I used:

Eric Clapton- “Old Love” from Unplugged
Jack Johnson- “Crying Shame” from In Between Dreams
Jethro Tull- “Bouree” from Best Of
K'Naan- “Blues for the Horn” from The Dusty Foot Philosopher
Feist- “When I was a Young Girl” from Let it Die
iMogene Heap- Headlock from Speak for yourself
Micheal Buble-Feeling Good

BUILD QUALITY/DESIGN

ALO Silver: 7/10

P1020504.jpg

I feel that the design is to delicate for portable use, due to the absents of any kind of protective covering. On the plus side it is very low-profile, and very flexible, though because it is solid strand you would not want to bend it o often or kink it. The workmanship is very good, clean and simple. The wire used on these is 99.99% Pure silver and ken use high quality solder. So again it is very well mad and certainly wont fall apart but I don't think it will be durable enough for everyday portable use.

ALO Copper: 7/10
P1020506.jpg
(Ken's scence of Humor
icon10.gif
)
See ALO Silver comments.

ALO Silk: 9/10

P1020509.jpg

With the Silk Dock Ken fixed everything that I thought was wrong with the other variations. Here is a excerpt from AudioLineOut's website, “The Silk Dock uses a black "thin" type connector, 22 AWG 99.999% silver conductors, 1 layer of Reflex Techflex over a layer of Cobalt Techflex, terminated in a premium Canare F12 mini plug.” It is stiffer than ALO's other docks but, not in a bad way, and is far less prone to kink. I feel that the finish of this LOD is great, but the only fault, IMO is the F12 mini plug. I think the plug is to bulky for use with most portable amps.

Qables X5L Dock: 10/10

P1020510.jpg

This cable looks built proof
smily_headphones1.gif
The workmanship is on par with ALO, but the finish is a step a head. It to is made of 99.99% silver and has very clean soldering. The SwitchCraft plug is a nice touch, and adds a good look, as well as functional size. As with the Silk LOD the Qables is stiff but, workable, and quite kink resistant.

Zynsonix VRAY Prime: 7/10
P1020503.jpg

I had this LOD custom made with a female mini because at the time I wasn't sure is I would like the HPO or LO better, and want the switch back and forth with a mini to mini. Overall the LOD is quite well made but still gives that DIY look. Granted this was Brian's first attempt, so I'm sure in the future they will be better. The solder work in well done, and he even took in another level by isolating each wire with it's own heat shrink. On another note, the mini cable, and mini-RCA that I got at the same time are far from DIY, and look and sound excellent.

SOUND QUALITY

ALO Silver. 7/10

Overall the Silver LOD has a fairly balanced presentation, but the highs are a bit harsh and there is a hint of sibilance with high pitch vocals. The bass a quick and punchy but lacks definition. I would say that the music sounds a bit cold and lacks life, but it is airy and detailed, which some people may prefer.

ALO Copper 8/10
Feeling Good sounds very good with the copper LOD. Micheal's voice really come alive and the music is a lot more fun to listen to. The details are not as present, but the harshness is gone and the highs and far more smooth. The mids and mid bass are maybe a bit coloured but, personally, sounds better to me. The bass lacks the punch that the sliver had but is richer and smoother, and maybe a little deeper. Overall the copper LOD is very musical and lively and forgiving, but not as detailed and analytical as some would like.

Qables X5L Dock 9/10
I find this LOD to be very neutral, very airy, with great separation and imaging. Hans told me it would be a bit harsh in the highs until after it burned in...man was it ever. But now that I have logged about 120 hours on it it has really smoothed out, and loosened up. The bass is not a deep as i would like but, the presentation of the rest of the frequencies makes up for it. Again not a lively as the copper but is much more life like...if that makes scene? Overall this is a very neutral, very realistic LOD.

ALO Silk LOD 10/10
It doesn't get any better than this! Take my comments the the Qables and double it. Sound stage= Huge, separation=Miles apart...Imaging=Pinpoint ..... Well I may be exaggerating a little, but there is a noticeable improvement over the Qables in all regards. The presentation is the same as far a neutrality, and range, but the imaging and air around each note is where the Silk dock real take a leap ahead. Overall, this is the one to beat, and I doubt it will happen. While listen to Headlock for the 10th time tonight I noticed echoes and little synth riffs that I hadn't heard until i used the Silk LOD.

Zynsonix VRAY Prime: 7/10
I feel like this LOD isn't getting it's fair kick at the can because it is different design and requires another cable to fulfill the same duties as the others. I'm sure it it was terminated with a male 3.5 then it would improve but I'll never know. So All and all the sound sig is in line with the ALO copper, but the separation, imaging, and sound stage is compressed, and the highs are rolled off and not as smooth.

VALUE/CONCLUSION

I know some people may say that this is not a true “value rating scale” but 10/10 is an excellent value= worth every penny, and 1/10 is very poor= not worth a penny.

ALO Silver & Copper: 7/10
At $49.95+shipping these LODs are a good deal, but I feel it could be a little more rugged for the price.

Qables X5L Dock 10/10
At $57 (approx) +shipping this is the best value of the batch, biggest bang for you buck...Sounds outstanding, built to last..worth every cent.

ALO Silk 6/10
Now this was a tough call but I find it hard to say that the silk dock is really worth $95. For those who demand the best sound at any price this is your only option, but given the Quable's LOD is so close in sound and IMHO better built at half the price, is $95 justifiable? I don't think so.

Zynsonix VRAY Prime: 4/10
At $75 this LOD is just not where is should be....

All in all. The Qables in my recommended LOD, but as I said for those who are willing to spend the extra cash the ALO Silk is the top performer.

I hope this has been helpful is some way and I strongly encourage anyone with an X5/X5L/M3 to give these LODs a shot. IMO they all sound far better than amping out of the Headphone jack but that is another thread all together.

Thanks to Hans at Qables, Brian at Zynsonix, and Ken at AudioLineOut!!

Cheers,

Jeremy Beintema

Jun 26, 2006 at 5:10 AM Post #2 of 27
Thanks for taking the time to review the cable Jeremy, the X5 Dock I made for you was only a one time thing just for the thrill of the experiment. I don't have any plans on adding the dock to my lineup. Fortunately many other builders have stepped up with dock expertise, and I can continue to do what I do best: mini to minis and mini to RCAs
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm pretty sure you'd notice a bump in the SQ by negating the two connectors in the signal path, but I appreciate your honesty in the review.

Cheers,
Bryan

Jun 26, 2006 at 5:29 AM Post #3 of 27
Nice review !!!

I'm still letting my Silk doc burn-in, then I'll be providing my own review.
I agree with you on the details you are hearing. I keep hearing ''little things'' that I have not heard before and if it's a good recording I'm very content to just to relax and enjoy the music. I agree that the Silk doc is a little expensive, but so far it has been worth every penny and I have no regrets now, especially since i plan on using my Silk doc for the long haul.

Take care, Ed.

Jun 27, 2006 at 1:25 AM Post #5 of 27
Have you encountered any issues with sound quality out of the line out vs headphone out? At one time there was a lot of discussion that the overall quality of sound from the line out was degraded over the headphone out.

Jun 27, 2006 at 4:22 AM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by michael.collins
Have you encountered any issues with sound quality out of the line out vs headphone out? At one time there was a lot of discussion that the overall quality of sound from the line out was degraded over the headphone out.

There is still lowend roll off, but nothing like the subpack IMO. I felt that out on HPO the bas was muddy and boated, but the LOD tames it ..even if it's not as deep. It's a personal pref. thing and your amp/phone will make a difference.

Jun 29, 2006 at 6:49 AM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by michael.collins

Quite the opposite is true with the iPods. The line out is so, so, so, very much better than the headphone out that there is absolutely no comparison.

BTW, I received a line out dock from Qables today. It's not broken in yet so I'm giving it some time. It appears very, very well constructed, a very nice package really!

Initially, the sound doesn't compare to the ALO LOD Cotton or Silk, as they both have better low end fullness and extension as well as better controlled and more extended highs than the Qables piece, but things could change with break in, so I will run it for a while before making final judgment.

Aug 23, 2006 at 6:02 PM Post #9 of 27
Thanks for the reviews: really enjoyed them.
I just went and ordered a Qables X5L Dock, at first the site said out of stock, but after I contacted them , they are back.
Now if that Go Vibe would just get here.
btbill
3000smile.gif

Aug 24, 2006 at 9:08 AM Post #10 of 27
Thank you so much! That was super informative. It gave me a very good idea about the relative quality of different LOD makers. I guess the quality of the X5L LODs also speaks for their corresponding iPod LODs...

What sonic differences are there between the cotton and silk LODs?

Also, has anyone tried the Canare F12 plug with the RSA Hornet? Is the plug too big?

Feb 9, 2007 at 6:17 PM Post #11 of 27
I am still trying to decide whether to use a mini-to-mini from my X5L => Tomahawk (=> E500) or pick up a LOD from Qables.

I've read varying opinions on the quality of the X5's line output. Someone on another thread said the bass rolloff deficiency was due to electronics inside the device itself while comments on this thread lead one to believe the subpack is to blame.

Does anyone have anything more to add on this topic?

Also, just how much would I be missing by using my X5L's included mini/mini cable to feed into the amp? Are these fancy cables really going to increase fidelity by a worthy amount?

Feb 9, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chef Medeski /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, if the Qables sounds better than the non $100 ALOs.... then I am very happy. Cause I picked mine up for $25 shipped.....

biggrin.gif

THANK YOU HANS!!!!

Where the heck do you get 'em for $25 shipped? The cheapest one I see on their site is $35 before shipping for "X5: 6" (15cm) black LOD to goldplated mini, Performance Line"

Feb 9, 2007 at 6:38 PM Post #13 of 27
Quite certainly on sale...like my Ipod Line out dock! Hans even repair mine after he got some damage for FREE. Talk about great service, Hans is the main man when it come to LOD.

Feb 17, 2007 at 12:05 AM Post #14 of 27
Ray Samuels just told me on the phone that amping out of a headphone amp is an absolute waste of time. The only way to go, he says, is with a line out.

It seems that, from this review, that the bass roll-off out of the line-out as described by others is not an issue! Is that the case?

From what I've been reading, my plan was to use a mini-to-mini from the headphone out to drive my Tomahawk, but Ray has me thinking twice.

What do you guys think?

Feb 17, 2007 at 3:16 PM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by thread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ray Samuels just told me on the phone that amping out of a headphone amp is an absolute waste of time. The only way to go, he says, is with a line out.

It seems that, from this review, that the bass roll-off out of the line-out as described by others is not an issue! Is that the case?

From what I've been reading, my plan was to use a mini-to-mini from the headphone out to drive my Tomahawk, but Ray has me thinking twice.

What do you guys think?

If you're at all interested in "QUALITY" as opposed to loudness, then Ray is 100% correct!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back