All X5L LODs Reviewed! iAudio Owners Must Read! [Pics Warning]
Feb 17, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're at all interested in "QUALITY" as opposed to loudness, then Ray is 100% correct!

From what I've been reading, though, people seem to think that the X5 has a great sounding headphone out that is at least as good as the line-out (with dock cable - NOT subpack), and possibly better.

Is it really not possible that the sonic qualities of the headphone out may actually match or exceed the quality of the line out in the X5, specifically?

And also, would one of these X5 LODs actually click into the dock and not fall out like the astonishingly stupid sub-pack?

Edit: And you can't use the EQ/etc functions with the line-out! What if I wanted to use an EQ ?

Feb 17, 2007 at 9:29 PM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by thread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I've been reading, though, people seem to think that the X5 has a great sounding headphone out that is at least as good as the line-out (with dock cable - NOT subpack), and possibly better.

Is it really not possible that the sonic qualities of the headphone out may actually match or exceed the quality of the line out in the X5, specifically?

And also, would one of these X5 LODs actually click into the dock and not fall out like the astonishingly stupid sub-pack?

Edit: And you can't use the EQ/etc functions with the line-out! What if I wanted to use an EQ ?

Theoretically, is really isn't likely at all that "adding" another stage of amplification when it's not needed could possibly make anything sound better.
Of course, YMMV.

Mar 6, 2007 at 4:04 AM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Anybody?

Mar 6, 2007 at 10:34 AM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

the point of a line out is typically that you are plugging it into a preamp/amp where you would use an EQ (if you so wanted, i prefer the flat signature)

Mar 8, 2007 at 4:06 AM Post #20 of 27
To answer my own question, Hans told me today via email that his cables do, in fact, click into the bottom of the X5(L). Now, one only wonders What the subpack doesn't do that...

But after some A/B'ing, I'm not convinced there is (afaict, anyway) much of a difference between the line out and the headphone out on this player. I believe I'm content amping the headphone out with a 6" cardas mini-to-mini.

Mar 8, 2007 at 12:58 PM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by midnite8791 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i can hear a difference on my home speaker setup. The headphone out is a bit more full and has more defined bass. However it isnt a huge difference

That's great to hear you say. It seems this player may be the rare exception for the headphone out vs line out rule. I'm glad I won't be forced into spending $40+ on another interconnect that will hang annoyingly off the bottom of my chunk of auditory goodness.

Peep my pics.
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...&postcount=509

Mar 8, 2007 at 8:23 PM Post #23 of 27
did any of you try docks from www.apuresound.com ? i got one of their mini-mini and its great.. their X5 docks should be pretty sweet too

Mar 9, 2007 at 2:50 PM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlacker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
did any of you try docks from www.apuresound.com ? i got one of their mini-mini and its great.. their X5 docks should be pretty sweet too

That's a pretty barebones looking site... They don't even have prices. I think I'm pretty content with my cardas 6" mini-to-mini amping out the X5L headphone out anyway.

Mar 9, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

That's a pretty barebones looking site... They don't even have prices. I think I'm pretty content with my cardas 6" mini-to-mini amping out the X5L headphone out anyway.

yeah the site is still under constuction... the guy who runs is [AK] Zip who is a very well respected member here

just wanted to show u some more alternatives to docks... thats all

Mar 12, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #26 of 27
Appart from the size difference,has anyone picked up on a SQ difference between the two.?

Very keen to know this, Im half way through placing an order with ken.
Id love to get the neutrik if possible,using the nano/TH set-up, being smaller would be a plus.

Ive asked him about the custom 2 copper,2 silver cable.
he as one ready but before i finalize, id love to know these things.

Im pritty careful with my gear so im not afraid of buggering up the silver.
has anyone else done any comparisons like B-Side J,of say the:

alo jumbo cryo
qables X5L
alo silk
or this custom 4braid (NoRi)* user has it.
using a nano/tomahawk.?

any input would be spectacular...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back