All things Metrum Acoustics
Sep 25, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #1,111 of 1,451
Not aware of any problems like this before. Guessing not the Dac modules but you should contact Metrum for advice.

Oct 10, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #1,114 of 1,451
any server recommendations for ambre
9F2B18EB-BBBB-4079-91A8-4F7FD36798B7.jpeg

I'm happy to share how to fix the blinking blue LED. It took me quite some time to reverse engineer the configuration for Ropieee and to figure out which GPIO pin on the raspberry pi board is connected to the blue LED.

Disclaimer: Performing the steps below is at your own risk! I am not responsible for any damage to your device.

The blue LED fix has only been tested for the original Raspberry pi 3 board with OS piCorePlayer or HifiBerryOS. The steps may also work for other operating systems. Please try it yourself.

Let's start!

Requirements: You need to access Raspberry Pi with ssh. To do this, use a suitable tool that matches your operating system.

HifiBerryOS
--
#Default ssh credentials:
#user: root, pass: hifiberry

#Create metrum-ambre_blue_led.sh in home folder /home
vi /home/metrum-ambre_blue_led.sh

#paste content below in this new created file (first press i key to start insert mode in vi)

#!/bin/sh # # Metrum Acoustics Ambre - blue LED control # echo "27" > /sys/class/gpio/export echo "out" > /sys/class/gpio/gpio27/direction echo "1" > /sys/class/gpio/gpio27/value

#After pasting the content press esc key to leave insert mode.
#Now type :w to save the file and :q to leave vi

#Change the permissions on the /home/metrum-ambre_blue_led.sh file to allow for execution:
chmod 755 /home/metrum-ambre_blue_led.sh

#now we need to execute this new created shell script at startup
vi /etc/systemd/system/metrum-ambre.service

#paste content below in this new created file (first press i key to start insert mode in vi)

[Unit] After=network.target [Service] ExecStart=/home/metrum-ambre_blue_led.sh [Install] WantedBy=default.target

#this new service needs to be installed for executing at boot
chmod 664 /etc/systemd/system/metrum-ambre.service systemctl daemon-reload systemctl enable metrum-ambre.service

#And that’s it! Done. Reboot and enjoy!

piCorePlayer
--
#Default ssh credentials:
#user: tc, pass: piCore

#Create metrum-ambre_blue_led.sh in home folder /home/tc
vi /home/tc/metrum-ambre_blue_led.sh

#!/bin/sh # # Metrum Acoustics Ambre - blue LED control # echo "27" > /sys/class/gpio/export echo "out" > /sys/class/gpio/gpio27/direction echo "1" > /sys/class/gpio/gpio27/value

#Change the permissions on the /home/tc/metrum-ambre_blue_led.sh file to allow for execution:
chmod 755 /home/tc/metrum-ambre_blue_led.sh

#now we need to execute this new created shell script at startup. Therefore we need to modify bootlocal.sh
sudo vi /opt/bootlocal.sh

#Right below where it says : # put other system startup commands here
#Insert the line : sudo sh /home/tc/metrum-ambre_blue_led.sh > /dev/null &

#So the bootlocal.sh file should look something like this:

#!/bin/sh # put other system startup commands here sudo sh /home/tc/metrum-ambre_blue_led.sh > /dev/null & GREEN="$(echo -e '\033[1;32m')" echo echo "${GREEN}Running bootlocal.sh..." #pCPstart------ /home/tc/www/cgi-bin/do_rebootstuff.sh | tee -a /var/log/pcp_boot.log #pCPstop------

#Now, because piCorePlayer runs entirely from RAM we need to make the changes we’ve made persistent by entering:
sudo filetool.sh -b

#And that’s it! Done. Reboot and enjoy!
thx Peter I also met the blinking LED, and Ropi can run both DLna and Roon?

F8949484-B474-4191-A992-DC7BE7AD40EE.jpeg

Dear all,
A big problem with my dac2 adagio need to help,
The preamp volume sometimes out of control, and when I turn off the power and restart then can control the volume, after 30 minutes or one hour playing, The problem remains the same, my friend told me It needs to upgrade to Dac 3 module.

the volume out of control.
Is it really about the dac 2 modules? or just some problems about the preamp part need to repair?

Thx u all!
I think you should return to factory to check the control board and Dac3 upgrade is another problem(for me that is worth)

Oct 16, 2021 at 3:05 AM Post #1,117 of 1,451
It’s been many months since I swapped the DAC2 chips with DAC3 chips on my Onyx.

The difference is amazingly good to us. That video by Aloha Audio is very accurate on capturing the changes as much as it can. ( )

To add more:
1. Soundstage is deeper - vocals are more forward placed
2. More note weight - substantial difference
3. Just way more lush and natural

Palpable upgrade and so happy I did this.

Sorry but I just can’t relate to anyone not choosing DAC3 over DAC2

Nov 4, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #1,118 of 1,451
Hello everyone. I don't know where to ask better. I'm thinking about buying a DAC, I don't know which one to choose. Panave, Morpheus or Terminator 2.
I listen to electronic music, rap, rock, hard rock, fast/electronic jazz. I love punch, bass, speed in music. Audio GD is too warm for me. Which of the DACs is better for this music? I have a niimbus us4 amp.

Nov 4, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #1,119 of 1,451
Hello everyone. I don't know where to ask better. I'm thinking about buying a DAC, I don't know which one to choose. Panave, Morpheus or Terminator 2.
I listen to electronic music, rap, rock, hard rock, fast/electronic jazz. I love punch, bass, speed in music. Audio GD is too warm for me. Which of the DACs is better for this music? I have a niimbus us4 amp.
i have and enjoy the metrum hex with my niimbus.
i have never heard the pavane but i am under the impression, from comparing various reviews and even listening to youtube demos of dacs, (eg when pavane and morpheus were demoed to compare) that the pavane has a richer or deeper, or fuller or darker bottom end than the morpheus and hex. Ps these youtube demos i take with a bag of salt and don't put a lot of weight on them - and only because of this comparison do i mention it.

i have read that the sonnet is better than the hex and many say better than the pavane.

there is a new (higher end) sonnet dac coming in the next few months - the pasithea

from other stuff that i have read the t2 is a fuller sound than the morpheus (see 6 moon review). The terminator plus may not be.
i have also read one opinion that the denafrips dacs are better suited to two channel setups than hp set ups and that they have a very high output impedance that, on specs, support that idea.

so i guess the sonnet might suit if you can’t get any demos. See the darko audio review by john grandberg if you haven’t already.

and then there is the holo audio dacs, like the may, if you are looking at these nos styles

on an overall point though i think a good nos dac brings a touch of good colour or extra texture to the niimbus but if you are looking for something fast you may be walking a fine line there with nos dacs re what best suits you. It’s certainly tricky. Imho

i have been considering a new dac for the last 6 months.
i have enjoyed the hex for a number of years and do not feel anything missing though i have not heard any of the others so i am happily ignorant if they are much better

i‘m hoping to demo the holo may in the next few months to see what the hype is about.

and i also have to consider that if i bought a new dac i would not get much for the hex in the current market. i certainly rate it higher than what i could sell it for. In fact it probably sells, 2nd hand, for around the same price as a used qutest ($2000 aud on a good day) and the hex is definitely better to my ears. but the hex is older and not as well known

anyway…not sure if that helps but that’s enough of my subjective ramblings
:)

all the best

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2021 at 5:52 AM Post #1,120 of 1,451
i have and enjoy the metrum hex with my niimbus.
i have never heard the pavane but i am under the impression, from comparing various reviews and even listening to youtube demos of dacs, (eg when pavane and morpheus were demoed to compare) that the pavane has a richer or deeper, or fuller or darker bottom end than the morpheus and hex. Ps these youtube demos i take with a bag of salt and don't put a lot of weight on them - and only because of this comparison do i mention it.

i have read that the sonnet is better than the hex and many say better than the pavane.

there is a new (higher end) sonnet dac coming in the next few months - the pasithea

from other stuff that i have read the t2 is a fuller sound than the morpheus (see 6 moon review). The terminator plus may not be.
i have also read one opinion that the denafrips dacs are better suited to two channel setups than hp set ups and that they have a very high output impedance that, on specs, support that idea.

so i guess the sonnet might suit if you can’t get any demos. See the darko audio review by john grandberg if you haven’t already.

and then there is the holo audio dacs, like the may, if you are looking at these nos styles

on an overall point though i think a good nos dac brings a touch of good colour or extra texture to the niimbus but if you are looking for something fast you may be walking a fine line there with nos dacs re what best suits you. It’s certainly tricky. Imho

i have been considering a new dac for the last 6 months.
i have enjoyed the hex for a number of years and do not feel anything missing though i have not heard any of the others so i am happily ignorant if they are much better

i‘m hoping to demo the holo may in the next few months to see what the hype is about.

and i also have to consider that if i bought a new dac i would not get much for the hex in the current market. i certainly rate it higher than what i could sell it for. In fact it probably sells, 2nd hand, for around the same price as a used qutest ($2000 aud on a good day) and the hex is definitely better to my ears. but the hex is older and not as well known

anyway…not sure if that helps but that’s enough of my subjective ramblings
:)

all the best
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I've read the reviews. But there all DACs is good and I dont undestand which is better for my music) T2 I did not know about 2 channels, thx.

Nov 6, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #1,121 of 1,451
Nov 15, 2021 at 2:11 AM Post #1,122 of 1,451
Has anyone compared Onyx against newer R2R DACs like Ares 2, Pontus, Spring 2/3 ?

Nov 15, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #1,124 of 1,451
Onyx occupies a higher price strata than both Ares & Pontus, so not entirely fair comparison.

I agree but Onyx is an older model among those 3 so I thought Denafrips will outmatch it.
Do you mind to share their differences? I only have owned Ares 2 before.

Nov 15, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #1,125 of 1,451
Amethyst with DAC3 vs Ares2? I've sold Amethyst w/ DAC2 a while back and miss it. Like the Ares2 very much now. But, do wonder how they would compare had I kept the Amethyst and upgraded it to DAC3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back