All things Metrum Acoustics
Sep 20, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #391 of 1,451
What kind of cables are you using for the Onyx? I upgraded my XLR cables (Moon Audio Silver Dragons) and AES cables (JPS superconductor V) and I was floored by the difference.
well I am using BlueJeans Digital and Analogue cable. Using AES connection from Pi2AES

Sep 20, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #392 of 1,451
Speaking of bypassing USB, I have found the Metrum Ambre/Onyx combo to work exceedingly well, especially, it compelled me to replace the Onyx's USB connectivity with i2S. I'd gladly do the same for the Pavane or Adagio, if i ever get one or the other.

I even use the Ambre with my Yggy A2 via AES, and I like that sound better than anything I have heard through the Yggy A2's USB5 module.

i should say, though, that I am very pleased with my Onyx, although I have never auditioned either the Pavane or Adagio to find out how much better they sound than the Onyx.
The Onyx bettered the Hex, which was my previous favorite Metrum DAC, which is why I am still impressed with the Onyx so much, even though I do not think it beats my Yggy Analog 2.

When all is said and done, I think I'll give everything to audition either a Pavane L3 or an Adagio with my Ambre through the i2S connection... So far, that has only remained just a dream
well I have Pi2AES which has I2S output but I am not sure how to use it. My Onyx has I2S module but I don't know a lot about I2S and I am not sure if I2S will be an improvement over AES and Coax connection that I am using.

Sep 21, 2019 at 8:50 PM Post #393 of 1,451
Well have spent close to 10 days with Onyx, thought to put down some of the early impression I have with Onyx
My Chain is
1. Digione Signature (LPS Powered) -> BJ RCA Coax -> Onyx -> Schiit Sys (Volume at 3'o Clock)->Massdrop ZDT Jr -> Zericote Verite
Or
2. Digione Signature (LPS Powered) -> BJ BNC Coax -> Schiit Gungnir -> Schiit Sys (Volume at 3'o Clock)-> Massdrop ZDT Jr -> Zericote Verite
RCA Cable is from BlueJeans.

I have been listening to 2nd setup for past 3 months and then as soon as I switched to Onyx the first thing that popped up was Dense tonality of Onyx. Now when I compared Gungnir with Chord Quest I found Gungnir to have very life like and dense tonality in Vocals but Onyx is denser. Thats the first thing that you will notice and next very apparent experience will be how the Stage moves closer to you with Onyx with emphasis on Vocals. Due to dense tonality Acoustic music sounds great and its fun to listen to Vocals as well however as soon as you switch to Gungnir the stage will be pushed several rows back and little wider. Vocals will sound softer and thiner and hence there will be tendency to go up in volume. However I feel Gungnir Vocals is more life like but the denser vocals of Onyx sounds more musical to me. I didn't feel too much of NOS roll of in treble with Onyx but yes the notes were not as sharp as Gungnir. Gungnir felt little bit thiner and colder sounding but I can easily live with Vocals of Gungnir. I dont have 2ch set up but can see with pushed back stage it may have wider stage which is not very apparent with headphone.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2019 at 10:22 PM Post #394 of 1,451
Well have spent close to 10 days with Onyx, thought to put down some of the early impression I have with Onyx
My Chain is
1. Digione Signature (LPS Powered) -> BJ RCA Coax -> Onyx -> Schiit Sys (Volume at 3'o Clock)->Massdrop ZDT Jr -> Zericote Verite
Or
2. Digione Signature (LPS Powered) -> BJ BNC Coax -> Schiit Gungnir -> Schiit Sys (Volume at 3'o Clock)-> Massdrop ZDT Jr -> Zericote Verite
RCA Cable is from BlueJeans.

I have been listening to 2nd setup for past 3 months and then as soon as I switched to Onyx the first thing that popped up was Dense tonality of Onyx. Now when I compared Gungnir with Chord Quest I found Gungnir to have very life like and dense tonality in Vocals but Onyx is denser. Thats the first thing that you will notice and next very apparent experience will be how the Stage moves closer to you with Onyx with emphasis on Vocals. Due to dense tonality Acoustic music sounds great and its fun to listen to Vocals as well however as soon as you switch to Gungnir the stage will be pushed several rows back and little wider. Vocals will sound softer and thiner and hence there will be tendency to go up in volume. However I feel Gungnir Vocals is more life like but the denser vocals of Onyx sounds more musical to me. I didn't feel too much of NOS roll of in treble with Onyx but yes the notes were not as sharp as Gungnir. Gungnir felt little bit thiner and colder sounding but I can easily live with Vocals of Gungnir. I dont have 2ch set up but can see with pushed back stage it may have wider stage which is not very apparent with headphone.

Appreciate your findings because it's not easy to describe in words.

All I know is that it's hard to go back to my portable setup (AK SP1000 w/Oriolus BA300s tube amp to WA11) because my Pavane/Ambre combo is so good, I feel like I'm in a live concert; and this is just with my i4s.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #395 of 1,451
I'm looking at buying a used Metrum Hex, but would only do it if I could have the second-generation Amanero USB board. This is both for convenience of not having to use special drivers, and sound quality.

I contacted Metrum and asked if they would do the upgrade and they said no.

Does anyone know if I can find this board myself, and install it myself easily?

Thanks!

Oct 8, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #396 of 1,451
I don't have an answer to your question but I will say this...I hope you're getting the Hex at a good price because if you go to sell it you never will be able to.

I saw a guy on a site asking $2,000 for the Hex. I said this guy must be out of his freaking mind. I bought my Onyx used for $1,500.

In the last few months I made two offers on two different Hex DACs. Both offers where around $700. Both sellers declined my offer. The Hex was great when it came out but it's yesterday's news. Not in terms of sound quality, but in terms of resale value.

Oct 8, 2019 at 7:33 PM Post #397 of 1,451
Was able to connect my streamer with Onyx using I2S.
It’s raspberry Pi streamer with Pi2AES as HAT
No drop out, no complaint. Only pure music

51D2568F-F89A-494A-82BE-A6B65DC6016D.jpeg 7AD289A2-F556-4EA0-BF55-2463F19E2E7F.jpeg

Oct 8, 2019 at 8:19 PM Post #398 of 1,451
I'm looking at buying a used Metrum Hex, but would only do it if I could have the second-generation Amanero USB board.

The USB2 (Amanero) board was an interim solution to the Apple OS updates - causing many mnfrs converter problems. Sold out and replaced by USB3 - but there will be some floating about and an easy install.

Oct 8, 2019 at 8:29 PM Post #399 of 1,451
Was able to connect my streamer with Onyx using I2S.

Can you elaborate thanks as useful to know. From Pic a 3rd party APRS board with a hefty dedicated connector and I assume RJ45 plug the other end matching pinouts required.

Oct 8, 2019 at 10:08 PM Post #400 of 1,451
Sure will put the detailed steps I followed along with BoM to put it together.

Oct 9, 2019 at 7:11 PM Post #402 of 1,451
Sure will put the detailed steps I followed along with BoM to put it together.

Cheers - no hurry as I'll be away for a couple of weeks @ the Melbourne Show.

Oct 9, 2019 at 7:17 PM Post #403 of 1,451
Awesome. Where do I get this USB3 board, and are there any instructions anywhere for how to install it in a Metrum Hex?

Thanks!
No prob - just PM me and I can dig out step-by-step guide.

Oct 10, 2019 at 8:02 PM Post #404 of 1,451
Has anyone compared the TT2 with the Metrum Pavane Lv3? I just got the tt2 but am curious about the pavane I had one on order and ended up canceling the order due to a long wait period.

Oct 23, 2019 at 11:27 AM Post #405 of 1,451
Okay, does anyone know anything about this DACTWO upgrade option, and what benefits it might bring? I have the Onyx, purchased in Sept 2018, and I am wondering if I should go for it:

UMail on the Web __ DACTWO - Upgrade time!_Redacted_Page_1.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back