All things Metrum Acoustics
Mar 11, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #556 of 1,451
Thank you folks. Still need to find out how the USB is powered on both the Onyx and the Morpheus since moving to another input type is not doable at present. But I'll try and contact both Sonnet and Metrum directly and see if I can find that out. In the meantime I'm checking to see what my trade-in value will be on the Onyx in case I decide to "upgrade" to the Morpheus.

Mar 11, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #557 of 1,451
I don't think the CEO started Sonnet, but the CTO which IMO is a fancy name for the 'key tech developer' for a company as small as Metrum started Sonnet together with the chief production officer of Metrum. In the end of the day the CEO for Metrum is sortof an investor, nothing more nothing less...

The takeover (mid 2018) of Metrum was not really reported when it occurred (for unknown reasons) … which has led to some misunderstandings/confusion unfortunately ever since. This is the only mention I know of.

https://translate.google.com/transl...oustics-een-merk-in-ontwikkeling/&prev=search

Things changed after the takeover in a number of areas. Comments on this thread early this year cover issues of late. Don’t think they are set to improve.

"louisjames" :

On the subject of USB these may be of help. 1st going back covers USB1 but USB3 (Onyx/Jade) will follow (I believe) the Amanero design in Morpheous.
In both cases improvement noticed but as usual you have to balance with extra costs involved.

Mar 11, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #558 of 1,451
@BlackMagic Thank you for the links. My previous AudioDG DACs had Amanero 384 USB and I was glad to see the Morpheus has the same. Since that has always given good performance in my experience. I know the Metrum USB has been considered "second rate" by many users, although Anjo was very positive about it and I've had good results using the USB on the Onyx. But as my system veers more into streaming and music serving, my desire to upgrade is setting in. Have to say it would have been nice if the headphone amp Anjo promised me actually came through. But not holding my breath on that one. Still, you can never tell.

Mar 11, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #559 of 1,451
@BlackMagic I know the Metrum USB has been considered "second rate" by many users, although Anjo was very positive about it and I've had good results using the USB on the Onyx. But as my system veers more into streaming and music serving, my desire to upgrade is setting in. Have to say it would have been nice if the headphone amp Anjo promised me actually came through. But not holding my breath on that one. Still, you can never tell.

Er no ... would not hold your breath !!! Over the years there have been two things criticised which I have not found myself - but everything is system dependent. Roll-off (NOS) of treble for one going back and USB conversion. A few years ago I bought a jitter-bug with intention (as suggested) to get another later. But I heard no diff so didn't. The YFS USB comments sparked interest until I checked prices. I've recently had feedback with something else where Singxer SU1 with sep PSU was tried v Empirical Off-ramp 5. This was found superior but ... the price.

As it happens USB2 was a brief offering using Amanero design.

Mar 12, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #560 of 1,451
Hello folks how you doing?
I would like to know if you love your Metrum dacs always on (blue light on)? Do you hear any sonic improvement compared to stand by or complete shut down? I read that schiit gear needs power 24/7 but never read abou Metrum. Cheers! Thanks for the help
For me, pavane sounds at its peak after 24-36 hours of continuous ON i.e. blue light. I do not leave it on all the time.
I love metrum house sound. I hope they get back on track.

Mar 12, 2020 at 3:00 PM Post #561 of 1,451
I don't think the CEO started Sonnet, but the CTO which IMO is a fancy name for the 'key tech developer' for a company as small as Metrum started Sonnet together with the chief production officer of Metrum. In the end of the day the CEO for Metrum is sortof an investor, nothing more nothing less...
Cees was the founder of Metrum and All Engineering, which he sold in July 2018. In August 2019 Cees founded Sonnet Digital Audio. All Engineering went bankrupt in Feb 2020.

Mar 13, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #563 of 1,451
why is that bad news, the founder has started a new company and is tinkering away, for all we know All engineering became an empty shell allowed to die when he left.

Mar 13, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #564 of 1,451
I hope a better management takes it over and keeps it alive. If not then they should let us know who to reach out to in case of warranty issue since they are not able to sustain business as those products were not cheap

Mar 13, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #565 of 1,451
Metrum is alive, if not brilliantly so, ALl engineering made the products, any production company should be capable of putting these together should they continue to manufacture and or create new stuff.
My focus will be on following Sonnet as the knowledge is now there...

Mar 13, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #566 of 1,451
Metrum is alive, if not brilliantly so, ALl engineering made the products, any production company should be capable of putting these together should they continue to manufacture and or create new stuff.
My focus will be on following Sonnet as the knowledge is now there...
Metrum Onyx is one of my favourite DAC and my best wishes to them

Mar 13, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #567 of 1,451
Metrum Onyx is one of my favourite DAC and my best wishes to them

The Onyx is a killer for sure -- so close to my Pavane that I'm not sure I can tell the difference without paying close attention except for the lowest octave. I've got two Onyxs for work and bedroom and they have been rock-solid and great-sounding since I bought them in 2018. They were bargains at their price and remain so. Shame to see yet another small outfit struggling.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2020 at 7:51 AM Post #568 of 1,451
So my Amethyst has an internal switch for the PSU voltage and two glass fuses, 110 vs 230V. I assumed that replacing the fuse would be a 1 fuse job, now I find out that leaving the, what I assumed is the 110V circuit fuse, out means there is no power....so it likely is using both fuses meaning a wonky PSU setup or a symmetrical supply rail somewhere. Anyone knows? the Syn Res Orange fuse is a nice upgrade, buying two gets a tad expensive though...(decided to leave fuses in place for now but will likely remove them later on)

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #569 of 1,451
So my Amethyst has an internal switch for the PSU voltage and two glass fuses, 110 vs 230V. I assumed that replacing the fuse would be a 1 fuse job, now I find out that leaving the, what I assumed is the 110V circuit fuse, out means there is no power....so it likely is using both fuses meaning a wonky PSU setup or a symmetrical supply rail somewhere. Anyone knows? the Syn Res Orange fuse is a nice upgrade, buying two gets a tad expensive though...(decided to leave fuses in place for now but will likely remove them later on)

I have been asking a similar question about the Ambre (as it compares with the Onyx), and do not know how to answer it. Photos of the internals of the Onyx almost always show one of the two fuses missing, but the ambre always has both. It appears therefore that the onyx works well with just one fuse lodged in the fuse-holder corresponding to the region-appropriate voltage rating :

maxresdefault.jpg

On the other hand, photos I have seen of the ambre always show the two fuses in place, and that has me wondering whether it has the same system as the onyx in which each fuse is supposed to work independently with one voltage rating, and whether it can ever work with only one fuse, like the Onyx. I have never had the courage to try operating the Ambre with one fuse only, because I do not want to damage anything, but I wish someone with the expertise could explain both fuse/voltage systems to me, and their differences (f they indeed work differently) :

Here's the ambre with its two fuses in place:

10302900.jpg
Wah7fjJoM_cc0-9iQgJhp75J0SNv1oCZ_eXhFI-yLQUt98KoVU36yiDcXph2va1kYUjqzN9VfDAYYVyo17dGyEXB67gPxvRa3kYIOGDNV2bAk25R6Sl3BuE3Yqf_UEoRHrE

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #570 of 1,451
I'll ask Metrum, that is, if someone is in the office....it's around the corner and the answer should not be that difficult.I expect it's a 110-0-110 Transformer, so they MAY be using both fuses for 110V, effectively doubling the Amperage rating of the 250V 100mA fuses used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back