All the Woodworking Experts! Get in Here!
Jun 5, 2008 at 5:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

AGC

Banned
I have two projects im working on:
a 4"x4"x6" ipod dock
&
a 2"x4"x6" ipod dock

my original plan was to cut a block in that size and hollow it out somehow. I didn't want to mess with woodglue and stuff. Im starting to think thats the way to go. How would I make this hollow? Drill? chisel? scooping tool?

simular to the dock in the back of the other docks:
imod-fidelity-dock.jpg

Jun 5, 2008 at 5:22 AM Post #2 of 13
probably want to use a drill press to take out a majority of the material, then use a chisel to get nice flat sides

Jun 5, 2008 at 7:19 AM Post #4 of 13
Indeed, a router is the way to go (if you can find a router bit long enough). I'd probably drill it out and then sand/chisel the parts left.

Prepare for lots and lots and lots of dust!
biggrin.gif

Jun 5, 2008 at 8:07 AM Post #5 of 13
A four inch router bit? Most router bits don't go that deep. And if one did, it would scare the crap out of me. Safest to drill it out and use a chisel to clean up.

However, you do realize that this is considerably more expensive, possibly more dangerous, more time consuming, and will result in more structural weakness than traditional joinery?

There's a reason most woodworkers don't build stuff this way, and it's not because of the glue. Wood is not like a piece of aluminum or plastic. You have to consider the grain and wood's weaknesses. Wood is not strong in every dimension like metal is. Wood changes size and mass daily because of humidity and temperature. It is still a living thing and you have to work with that.

I'd recommend reading a book on building boxes, like this one:

Amazon.com: Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Box Making (Complete Illustrated Guide): Doug Stowe: Books

Anything Taunton publishes is pretty good. You can also pick up a copy of Fine Woodworking at most news stands - it is an excellent magazine. Another excellent source is:

http://www.amazon.com/Tage-Teaches-W...2652901&sr=1-2

Not directly on point for box making, but it is an authoritative guide to joinery and excellent overall.

If you might want to commission some boxes, check your local woodworking store. There should be one in the yellow pages selling furniture grade lumber and tools. A lot of them have shops and you could have someone make the cuts for you on pro gear. It's surprisingly cheap for small projects. They'll charge around $2-$4 per cut, or prorate work by the hour, probably $20-$40. But if you make, say, 12 cuts in 30 minutes, you can have it professionally done for $20 or less. Also, those places are a magnet for hobbyists. There should be a bulletin board up with people looking for work. You can find someone to build there, or put up a card asking for help. Someone will.

Jun 5, 2008 at 11:57 AM Post #6 of 13
Even if you find a deep enough router bit, my guess is you probably don't have a router table laying around. A router table, fence and stops set to keep the mortise perfectly square is only way I'd consider using a router for that job. Even then some experience is needed.

It's just not going to be an easy job with hand tools however. I'd use a drill press with a good size Forstner bit for most of the wood removal, then a smaller Forstner bit for the corners, and finally a sharp chisel to clean up the sides.

The drill press will not only guide your bit straight, but will allow you to set the proper depth as well, and keep things looking professional.

Jun 5, 2008 at 12:24 PM Post #7 of 13
I would do this with a router mounded on/under a router table. Using a fence to limit your wood blocks travel you'll be able to remove all the wood you want and keep the side walls an even thickness. This is the one I use.

039725022936md.jpg

Jun 5, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #8 of 13
A mortising jig in a drill press (or mortising machine) would be ideal... drills square holes.

If you have a lot of time to kill, and a nice vice and sharp chisels, you could do it all by hand. Doesn't sound like a load of fun though.

Jun 5, 2008 at 7:35 PM Post #9 of 13
I do not have a router or routing table.

Uncle Erik: That sounds like a good idea, but would all of you recommend that I cut 5 peices of wood and glue them together with a metal plate at the bottom? I was thinking about that.

What I was thinking is drilling and chiseling. I guess not huh?

My first project will be just a block of wood that will serve as a charging dock for my iphone. I would drill something simular to a trench to hold the cable, then a big hole the size of the bottom of the iphone. I would disable the locking mechanism in the dock for easy put in/take out.

That was my first project. I was thinking either use a fine saw to make a trench and then sanding it, or using a drill to do this.

Maybe im in over my head, but hey, sanding a block of wood yesterday was pretty exhilerating.

Jun 5, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #10 of 13
When I have made objects like that I have made Jigs. So in the case of the fine external edges I used a plunge router with a pattern bit set-up. as to remove the interior I would use a drill press and forstner bits. I would set the depth on the drill press to the desired depth and then start with the outside corners, and then remove the inside. I then take the jig I made and attach it with pattern tape, then use the router and pattern bit to do the final cleaning.

I came from the car electronic industry where I did alot of detail work (plexi, aluminum, plastics wood). The place I buy all of my materials and patterns from is Mobile Solutions :: Home
I have taken his classes and have learned some really good techniques. You can see the oval patterns I used here.

Jun 5, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #12 of 13
Very nice wood in that first picture. I'll start looking for some for my future headphone stands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back