All the headphones at the Apple Store sound terrible.
Jan 7, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #18 of 33
Quote:
I thought they were terrible. Why do they cost so much..

Its the Apple Store. Does that ring any bells? 
biggrin.gif

Jan 7, 2013 at 3:08 AM Post #20 of 33
Quote:
That + it's B&W (which means needless mark-up). Sad but true. And this isn't meant to disparage B&W, I just think their stuff by and large costs more than it should.

Its funny how the only brands I can find in the Apple store are B&W, Monster/Beats, Bose and Sennheiser, and there are very few decent choices worth the money.

Jan 7, 2013 at 3:19 AM Post #21 of 33
Its funny how the only brands I can find in the Apple store are B&W, Monster/Beats, Bose and Sennheiser, and there are very few decent choices worth the money.

Yeah I don't get it - you'd think with as expensive as headphones have gotten, and how that's become popular, retailers would just start grabbing audiophile brands just to offer more options to customers. Not even because they care about sound quality or anything, but just like "oh, there's this company called Ultrasone, they make expensive stuff, let's sell those and see if people like them!" - like purely by accident or dumbluck. And it just never happens. That's what I don't get.

Jan 7, 2013 at 3:55 AM Post #22 of 33
Quote:
Yeah I don't get it - you'd think with as expensive as headphones have gotten, and how that's become popular, retailers would just start grabbing audiophile brands just to offer more options to customers. Not even because they care about sound quality or anything, but just like "oh, there's this company called Ultrasone, they make expensive stuff, let's sell those and see if people like them!" - like purely by accident or dumbluck. And it just never happens. That's what I don't get.

I'm not sure how the arrangement works, but getting a retailer (like Apple) to stock a brand of headphones means there might be some splitting of profits. Its a pure guess, but maybe audiophile brands are not willing to share the margins, and are not interested in associating themselves with brands like Apple (non audio brand).

Jan 7, 2013 at 6:38 AM Post #23 of 33
Quote:

Probably because they don't stock headphones just because they're expensive. If I was a retailer, I would pick brands that have been shown to be able to sell, especially in high quantities to the common consumer.

Jan 7, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #25 of 33
What's the point of this thread?  Apple store is not the best place to buy headphones.  There you go....

Jan 7, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #26 of 33
Quote:
Even Jude, likes 'em.

Quote:
What's the point of this thread?  Apple store is not the best place to buy headphones.  There you go....

Jude raved about their looks, portability and sound blocking ability, but was actually pretty tepid about their sound and criticized their bass & treble.

I think the point is that Apple, who pride themselves on the design of very high-quality products that deliver a superior user experience has chosen popular style over quality when it comes to the hardware most responsible for the experience of music.  They too have joined the wandering zombies spreading over this world eating human brains.

Jan 8, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #27 of 33
I'm not sure how the arrangement works, but getting a retailer (like Apple) to stock a brand of headphones means there might be some splitting of profits. Its a pure guess, but maybe audiophile brands are not willing to share the margins, and are not interested in associating themselves with brands like Apple (non audio brand).

That's a good point. I was just thinking in context of Best Buy and (from years ago) Circuit City and CompUSA. They tend to stock anything that *might* sell, and their choices for expensive products tend to be pretty random. Like the ESW9 - are those really that popular? I don't see a lot of them on here, and I have never seen someone in person with them, yet every Best Buy I've gone into has them (and when I bought a pair at BB the sales guy was pretty surprised that I was choosing them - which made me wonder if they sold very many of them). But yeah you're probably onto something there - BB might stock them because their arrangement with AT requires them to carry certain products, just like Apple may not have such an arrangement for whatever reason.

I think the point is that Apple, who pride themselves on the design of very high-quality products that deliver a superior user experience has chosen popular style over quality when it comes to the hardware most responsible for the experience of music.  They too have joined the wandering zombies spreading over this world eating human brains.

I lol'd.

Jan 8, 2013 at 2:06 AM Post #28 of 33
Perhaps headphones are overpriced.

For the price of a Sennheiser momentum you can get a iPad Mini.

We all know that the IPad has a lot more than a couple of drivers and a frame.

Hmmmmm.....

Jan 8, 2013 at 4:40 AM Post #30 of 33
Quote:
Perhaps headphones are overpriced.
For the price of a Sennheiser momentum you can get a iPad Mini.
We all know that the IPad has a lot more than a couple of drivers and a frame.
Hmmmmm.....

Atleast Sennheiser doesn't come up with a new model every 3 months, and don't call a model new by using a finer grill. They're future proof.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back