All right, it's time for my big push! (Long, but I need the Help.)
Dec 27, 2002 at 9:11 AM Post #31 of 119
Don't worry, I'm not going to buy something for someone else. I know who this is for; me. I'm just exploring my options. The Stax 3030 system for example, could be a good value for me, if were to try it out and really like it. I mean, $800 is a lot, but then, my budget is ~$1000. Good phones and a good amp are going to put me up in the $8-900 range. If I really liked the stax phones, the 4040 system might even be worth saving for. I mean, it's more, but it might well be better than a few different sets of cheaper phones and one good amp. I don't know. they listed a dealer in boston, maybe I'll look into going there and auditioning some phones. But not tonight, this time, I really am going to bed. See you guys sometime tomarow afternoon.
redface.gif

Dec 27, 2002 at 11:25 AM Post #32 of 119
I think you can safely forget Staxs. Unless you are willing to make tremendous changes to your source and interconnects and power cords and yadda yadda, Staxs will not satisfy. You could do much better with a dynamic headphone at that level.

Dec 27, 2002 at 4:22 PM Post #33 of 119
Ya, I'm sure you're right. Ok, it's already out of mind. Things are looking up, a very generous member has offered to let me come to his house and try some good stuff, he's got DT831s, 580s, an SACD player, and MG Head, and a meta. He might be able to arrange for me to hear HD 600s, Etys and even a melos! Along with more sources and CDs. A mini meet. The only downside is that we've got to do it the weekend, or else wait three weeks. He's not too fasr away though, so maybe we can do it soon.

Update, we are setting it up. It looks like I'll go this weekend. This is going to be great!

Dec 27, 2002 at 5:26 PM Post #34 of 119
Alright DarkWolf! Alright fellow Head-Fi member who has graciously offered to let DW listen to some 'phones. Have a great Get-to-gether, and post your impressions.

DW, I still say the HD590s do not need a cable upgrade. You should listen to them for a few weeks or months before you contemplate a new cable.

Likewise you will probably not need an amp for awhile. Just get them, if that's what you want, and enjoy them.

Don't forget to take 5 music CDs with you.

Dec 27, 2002 at 7:24 PM Post #35 of 119
Ya. It would be nice to hit tweeter and pick up a pair and A/B them, but then, they wouldn't break in in time. Meh, I'll just go. I'll at least get to hear the 580s with an MG head and meta42. I'll bring some CDs I like, as well as my computer, so that I can see how things will sound out of my sound card, which will be source for a while. I hope these guys have some SACDs I like, I want to hear that too! Probably I'll get sold on new source equipment and need to try and get some sooner than I wanted..
For the time being however, I maintain that if I were to hear exactly what my sound card wanted me to, I'd be pretty happy with it. I can hear it doing its thing even with my current phones.

Dec 27, 2002 at 8:47 PM Post #36 of 119
DarkWolf...

...Since I only know the HD 600 and you only know the HD 590, this may not be of great help for you. I'm a big fan of the HD 600, which, in a slightly modded form (removed foam pad, own cable), I find extremely versatile, and despite all the other cans I own – among them two electrostats – it is the one I use 90% of my headphone time, with an amp that seems like made for it: the EMP.

There are so many different tastes and ways to perceive headphone sound that it's impossible to predict which headphone suits your preferences best, the more so with the tiny assortment of cans you have already heard and judged. Well, you have listed your criteria, which are more or less all the qualities a headphone can feature. And for my taste the cable-upgraded HD 600 or (maybe to a slightly minor extent) HD 580 does have all these qualities. I don't want to disqualify any other headphone that way, but I just can speak for the ones I know, and these are of a limited number. I could highly recommend the ER-4S, BTW, but I remember your preference for an open design, and those are as closed as headphones can be.

The Corda HA-2 you're considering seems to be a very good choice, after the things I've read so far. If I already hadn't the EMP, this would be a tempting offer.

I don't quite agree with Vertigo in terms of Stax: I have listened to my Archos MP3 player through my own electrostat with lots of pleasure, always aware that there are some restrictions to the sound originating from the mediocre source, but nevertheless the joy was barely restricted, and the transducer's sonic superiority and qualities weren't really compromised. Of course it's overkill and unreasonable in view of the source (although the Terratec supposedly isn't that bad, and MP3 doesn't necessarily mean poor sound at all), but I would rate it as a passable alternative to take a Stax into consideration, if you can afford it – and if you can live with one limitation: electrostats generally lack the extra «energy» for example an SR-325 adds to the music, especially in the bass. It's just you who can judge it, by auditioning... Whenever you have the opportunity to compare a Stax to a HD 600... or whatever other premium dynamic headphone..., use it!

Good luck!

smily_headphones1.gif
JaZZ

Dec 27, 2002 at 10:51 PM Post #37 of 119
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkWolf
Now phones: My taste is for energy, dynamics and sound stage, as well as clarity, resolution, and nutrality. I know it's a lot to ask, but I simply don't want to have any holes, I'm not asking for any kind of marical phone. (That would be ideal though.) I want to be able to listen happily to any kind of music with my setup. I want to be able to get up and groove (well, not actualy get up.. and dance, but you know..) and I want to be able to relax and smile.

To keep you within your budget of $1000, let's consider the following:

1) Gilmore amp - incredible sounding, and costs about 1/2 your budget. Highly reco'd by many here!!!

2) A set of "B" stock Senn 600s from HeadRoom - $220. Add a Cardas replacement cable for $150, and you're looking at $370.

3) Your IC choice will work well, although you could go with the Outlaw PCA and save some money. $61 shipped is cheap for what you get.

4) Power Cord - Virtual Dynamics Power 3 - $75, and sounds great. Stiff, hard to bend and maneuver, but sounds SSOOOO good!!!

These items should keep you happy and sounding good for years to come, and only puts you $16 over your budget!!!

Dec 27, 2002 at 11:03 PM Post #38 of 119
Good suggestions, Doug!

Dec 27, 2002 at 11:10 PM Post #39 of 119
If you want a good, airy, clear, bright sound... I'm not too sure that I would recommend the HD600s ~ unless you partner them with aftermarket cables and a bright source

Thats what helped me to start to love my HD580s... they were always good, don't get me wrong, but with my warm sounding Marantz CD player, they failed to excite... if you were to look through the archives from a couple of months back, you'll see the making of the HD580s was when I got the Aura CD player... when my opinion spun on its head...

Just my $0.02

Dec 28, 2002 at 12:08 AM Post #41 of 119
Darkwolf: I wouldn't recommend to spend too much in the first plase - as there will always be something better to allure you later on. What abour a Corda HA-1 / AKG K240S setup?

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / Lini

Dec 28, 2002 at 12:26 AM Post #42 of 119
Darkwolf, I don't know how the Outlaw interconnects compare, but JMT builds interconnects with a selection of 2 different wire selections to choose from. One of his choices is one of the Homegrown silver braids. It may well be worth looking into if the reviews on the homegrown cables mean anything.

Dec 28, 2002 at 2:44 AM Post #43 of 119
Thanks for the continued input. I've gotten a lot of good suggestions, and hopefuly with the aid of my fellow head-fiers who have invited me to try a few things, I should be able to make sence of them. Most importantly, I'm going to get to try the 580s. If I like their overall sound well enough, than I can move in that direction. On the other hand, if I think they are too laid back, or I get a sence of the viel some people tlak about, I can make better sence of the non-sennhieser routs. (Or at least put the 600s back out of the game and let the 590s move up.)

Right now I'm trying to get Lou to elaborate on his opinnion of why the A1000s are better to him than the HD600s. So far "they walk all over them" is 100% subjective and doesn't tell me much, but at least he likes them.
smily_headphones1.gif
If I get some solid details out of him that I like, they might be topping the list in a hurry. I aksed him what he thought about Duncan's A900 vs. HD600 review and he seems to think that the A1000 are in fact worth the exta money over the A900. I supose one reason that they are attractive is that I could simply and easily buy them very soon, and wait a little on the amp to smooth thigs over in the wallet camp. I could also give them a direct run against the 590 and not feel bad returning it if I do indeed like the A1000 better. And I supose I wouldn't lose much trying to sell the A1000s nearly brand new. Hmmm. I think this is what I will likely do unless I think the 580s and/or 600s are going to really please.

Ahh, direction! At last!
smily_headphones1.gif
There is light at the beginning of the tunnel!
cool.gif

Dec 28, 2002 at 2:45 AM Post #44 of 119
Quote:

Originally posted by ooheadsoo
Darkwolf, I don't know how the Outlaw interconnects compare, but JMT builds interconnects with a selection of 2 different wire selections to choose from. One of his choices is one of the Homegrown silver braids. It may well be worth looking into if the reviews on the homegrown cables mean anything.

Cool, I'll look into it!

Dec 28, 2002 at 2:47 AM Post #45 of 119
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkWolf
I aksed him what he thought about Duncan's A900 vs. HD600 review and he seems to think that the A1000 are in fact worth the exta money over the A900

If Lou could chime in here, it would be appreciated.. but to the best of my knowledge Lou hasn't heard the A900s, only having heard the EM7, A100ti and the A1000ti..

The A1000s have more midrange bite compared to the A900s through, shall we say 'standard' equipment...

Maybe, I might be able to tell you in a few weeks my impressions of the A1000s through a proper amped up system...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back