All NEW WhipMOD and WhipLOD; the next audiophile iPod 5.5 generation Modification!!
Sep 19, 2010 at 8:24 AM Post #76 of 259
OK here's another thought: does the Reference cable increase depth and soundstage to a non-iModded system??  In other words, I get the Reference cable, use it on my Portaphile or iBasso amp with an iPod Classic:  is it going to drastically increase my sonic pleasure?

If it would, then this may be a way to gradually ease into the total system: buy the cable first, then later the Whiplash iMod.  Just a thought

Sep 19, 2010 at 9:17 AM Post #77 of 259

Quote:
OK here's another thought: does the Reference cable increase depth and soundstage to a non-iModded system??  In other words, I get the Reference cable, use it on my Portaphile or iBasso amp with an iPod Classic:  is it going to drastically increase my sonic pleasure?

If it would, then this may be a way to gradually ease into the total system: buy the cable first, then later the Whiplash iMod.  Just a thought

Here's another thought? I have an ALO iMod - if Craig WhipModded it, does it sound better than the original iMod?

Sep 20, 2010 at 9:00 AM Post #78 of 259

Quote:
Here's another thought? I have an ALO iMod - if Craig WhipModded it, does it sound better than the original iMod?

Intriguing question.  As far as I know, a big portion of the WhipModding process involves replacing the cheap wiring inside with SCSCag and cryoing the PCB board, so I would say that would increase SQ due to the increased system synergy assuming you use a TWag LOD and TWag IEM recable.

An alternative would be to obtain a donor 5th gen iPod for cheap, have that fully WhipModded and sell the iMod once it's done.  If you do it smart, you'll have come out better financially, assuming you can get a fair price for your iMod.  Just a thought.

Sep 20, 2010 at 9:06 AM Post #79 of 259

Quote:

The issue with the iPod classic could be partially mitigated by the Fat Boy and especially if you have something like a JH16 Pro with a +6dB midbass hump, which is missing from the JH13s.

If you don't have that, you may want to give this a shot:  pick up a new 16GB Nano after you got the Fat Boy LOD, hook it up to the IBasso with that and prepared to be amazed.

I hooked mine up to the Shadow via the Fat Boy LOD and my eyes popped out.  It's not a WhipMOD level source, but it sounds better than the iPod Classic by far OOB.  Obviously it doesn't have the storage capacity, but for an ultraportable setup, it matches nicely with the Shadow's form factor.  I've listened for hours to this combo using my JH16s and never once was it fatiquing.  Color me impressed, but that's going to be my ultraportable solution for the foreseeable future.  Again, this Fat Boy is one magical piece of cable, I just can't get enough of it.

Sep 21, 2010 at 11:24 AM Post #80 of 259

Quote:
Intriguing question.  As far as I know, a big portion of the WhipModding process involves replacing the cheap wiring inside with SCSCag and cryoing the PCB board, so I would say that would increase SQ due to the increased system synergy assuming you use a TWag LOD and TWag IEM recable.

An alternative would be to obtain a donor 5th gen iPod for cheap, have that fully WhipModded and sell the iMod once it's done.  If you do it smart, you'll have come out better financially, assuming you can get a fair price for your iMod.  Just a thought.

Warp good advice on purchasing a 5th gen ipod. I am perusing ebay and bidding on a 5th gen as we speak or as I type. 

I have the Twag OM, just need to pull the trigger on the Fat Boy andget Craig to look at his PMs I want to have a 5th gen drop shipped to his address provided I win on ebay.

One more question, which you may or may not be able to answer - synergy: WhipMod, WhipLOD, OM Twag and right now I have an ALO Rx amp. Do you think IYHO that the Rx will suffice? I am looking at the Toucan amp and thinking about balance but... still up in the air.

Sep 21, 2010 at 11:51 AM Post #81 of 259

Quote:

Warp good advice on purchasing a 5th gen ipod. I am perusing ebay and bidding on a 5th gen as we speak or as I type. 

I have the Twag OM, just need to pull the trigger on the Fat Boy andget Craig to look at his PMs I want to have a 5th gen drop shipped to his address provided I win on ebay.

One more question, which you may or may not be able to answer - synergy: WhipMod, WhipLOD, OM Twag and right now I have an ALO Rx amp. Do you think IYHO that the Rx will suffice? I am looking at the Toucan amp and thinking about balance but... still up in the air.

I have originally owned an RX that was purchased with the iMod I'm now selling.  Although I did like the sound of the amp itself and the form factor, I ended up returning it to Ken, because it had grounding issues (picked up RF interference randomly).  They may have fixed this in later versions, so if that's not an issue for you, I don't see why would you need to upgrade.

Balanced is great, but an xMod is a single-ended source anyway, and you'll only be able to balance at the output stage level to the phones, not the input stage via the LOD.  All balanced portable amps consume more power and have shorter battery life, in addition to a thicker form factor by necessity.  That is your tradeoff for the increased soundstage and transient responses--due to the higher voltage swings--you would typically gain by going balanced.

Sep 22, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #83 of 259
Wow, I can't believe the details I am hearing from the strings in the orchestra with the reference WhipLOD and WhipMOD.

Oct 8, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #85 of 259
There has been a delay on receiving the WhipMODs. This delay is only until next week and I assure you that as soon as I receive them, they will begin shipping!!!!

Craig

Oct 8, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #86 of 259
Who does that affect, everyone who has ordered in the last two weeks?
Just want to know for postal heads up purposes as i am in Japan.

Oct 9, 2010 at 2:43 AM Post #88 of 259
Whoa nelly

Oct 9, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #89 of 259
I'm envious.  Looks like you're getting the latest experimental WhoaWhip Elite Lash Series WMod.  Way cool!  Delivered by Pony Express all the way to Japan! 
beerchug.gif

Oct 9, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #90 of 259
Warp what does this mean? Layman's English please ... LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back