ALL NEW Sony MDR-NC300D Noise Canceling IEM's....get or forget?
Jul 15, 2009 at 9:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

BIGHMW

100+ Head-Fier
MDR-NC300D(JE) | Headphone | Headphone | Overseas Models | ƒJƒ^ƒƒOî•ñ | ƒ\ƒj[

I am thinking about getting a pair of these for the past few weeks, does anybody own them, as I am thinking about selling my two pairs of MDR-NC60 NC cans (100 ohms w/ NC off, 40 ohms w/ NC on) and my D777SL's in order to help fund a pair of these, as the NC300D features a very low 16 ohms and a high sensitivity of 103dB and would greatly accompany my MDR-EX700SL's well, as they are almost twins when it comes to their design.

The 16 ohm impedence on these is perfect for use with my 5mW NW-HD5 or any of my other CD/MD/Hi-MD/HDD Walkmen in my lineup.

I had the guts to buy the EX700's (and the Japanese SL version at that), so based on that, should I plunge myself into these and see how they go?

Most of you are probably wondering why am I possibly dumping my cans for them? I have become an IEM freak over the past three years and part of it stems from having to use earplugs at work (I use Hearos Water Plugs at work because of their multi-flange design) and I just find silicone IEM tips (mostly double flange) to match the teriffic noise isolation, feel, and discreetness of them when compared to cans and earmuffs.

Jul 15, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #2 of 7
I don't understand why anyone would need noise canceling IEMS. IEMS already significantly reduce noise. Noise canceling tends to sound worse for the price you pay as well. What's your budget? Just pick up some decent isolating IEMS and you probably won't ever hear anything when the music is on anyway.

Jul 15, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #3 of 7
It looks like it could be a very nice "lifestyle" type of ECH (I don't know if they are true IEM's or Ear Canals)

But with the built in amp/eq circuit it could be a very nice one for people who are on the go and want nice sound in lots of environments.

Jul 16, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zalithian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't understand why anyone would need noise canceling IEMS. IEMS already significantly reduce noise. Noise canceling tends to sound worse for the price you pay as well. What's your budget? Just pick up some decent isolating IEMS and you probably won't ever hear anything when the music is on anyway.

That is a pretty good call, I see you point of it being a waste for my (now) very tight budget (I will be recording my 2nd CD as rapper AK47 see AK47 on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads for details and future updates) I already own a pair of EX700SL's (barely used, less than 6 hours total on them) in which I might let go of, along with 2 pairs of EX85SL's in black, and 3 pairs of my preferred model N.U.D.E EX IEM's, the MDR-EX90SL's, the current pair I use has the cling-wrap mod done to it, and the other two are slated as backups in case the current ones either die or get stolen.

I have already spent a ton of dough (mostly with thanks to Head-Fi for draining my wallet every month) on gear up the wazoo, but now, I must focus on saving and generating much-needed $$$ for my new CD, which will be different the my first release, Hadlock's Most Wanted, which was a throwback/retro-80's hardcore/gangsta project, with my management now wanting me to come up with a more-party/hardcore theme so I don't repeat the same themelines as HMW did before, so get ready for me to (perhaps) liquidate some of my gear to finance both my new album and accompanying merchandise lineup to go with it.

Thanks for talking "ol' PayPal/eBay trigger-happy me" out of perhaps blowing yet another 3 bills on something I don't necessarily need (the first 3 bills was on the EX700's).

Jul 16, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #5 of 7
I have a strong feeling that NC300 use the same transducer as EX700, so if you have the money and like how EX700 sound, NC300 might just fit the bill. You can sell off one of your EX700 if they are indeed the same. IIRC, NC300 noise canceling circuit actually has a build in amp/EQ or sort which sounds interesting for the least. Then again, I guess you have some other places to spend the money as well.

Jul 16, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a strong feeling that NC300 use the same transducer as EX700, so if you have the money and like how EX700 sound, NC300 might just fit the bill. You can sell off one of your EX700 if they are indeed the same. IIRC, NC300 noise canceling circuit actually has a build in amp/EQ or sort which sounds interesting for the least. Then again, I guess you have some other places to spend the money as well.

Cool, and thanks, actually I do get both State unemployment (UI is paid weekly up to $225.00/week, as I was laid off from my previous job at Skookum Recycling Center and am currently on an "on-call" basis working for Skookum on a Naval Magazine base just out of town as a groundskeeper) and Social Security Disability benefits ($785.00, for details on my multiple disabilities see either of my official websites, links below in my signature)

Besides, the NC300D has a built-in amp as well as an onboard DSP, and a more convenient (and remote-friendly) 1.2-meter (total length) cord with an extra 1.0m extension cord (in which I wouldn't use), while my old NC22's had a much-too-long 1.5m cord, so maybe I'll think it over for a while and quite possibly get it too, and I hope that it will sound (with bass mode) as good as both my EX700SLs and my cling-wrap-modded EX90SL's do.

The only way I'm gonna find out about their SQ is to (pretty much) buy them for myself.

As for my last post on this thread, I may have confused all of you, actually I was going to sell my EX700's and keep the rest of my IEM's, but it wouldn't be worth doing that because there is not too much of a market out there for used IEM's. I was just frustrated at the fact that there are (currently) no custom aftermarket (like multi-flange) tips out there that will properly fit them, like they do on my EX90s and 85s without them coming off when I take the 700s off, due to them having a larger insert as opposed to the EX300/500/700's, and that is partly why I was gonna sell them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back