All New Microshar uAMP107B Version Is Out For Very Low Cost !!!!
Aug 18, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #166 of 204
there is a slight buzzing when you turn the volume pot while nothing is playing. its nothing to deter you from having one though. it also does pick up cell phone radiation quite well too.

Aug 18, 2007 at 8:15 PM Post #167 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by richierich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agnostic, how do your HD595s sound with the Microshar amp?

Haven't done too much critical listening with the HD595 because my Xiang Sheng 708B (tube headphone and pre-amp) arrived on the same day and I've been mostly listening to that with the HD595.

Anything specific you'd want to know?

Aug 19, 2007 at 8:23 AM Post #168 of 204
Agnostic: Not really, was just trying to see if the HD595s were ok in combination with the Microshar amp.

Aug 19, 2007 at 8:26 AM Post #169 of 204
I did some fast listening comparing the HD 595 on the Xiang Sheng and the Microshar a bit but I must say the first impression is that the Xiang Sheng does much better.
The Microshar sounds a bit unengaging and dry with the HD595, not exactly great synergy to my ears. Mids seem a bit recessed and grainy compared to the Xiang Sheng.
The microshar does sound very nice with my Sen cx300 and the Koss KSC75 though.

Aug 19, 2007 at 7:03 PM Post #170 of 204
Thanks Agnostic. I've finally found out what my Sennheiser HD495s sound like (after what, 5 years or so of owning them? lol), mainly because they are very power hungry and I never had a source that could power them enough. The Microshar uAMP107 can power them, but the HD495s sound like they are missing treble. They might be damaged from all those years of power starvation.

I do love the Microshar amp with my K81DJs though, everything is more cleaner, bass is more tighter. Debating on which next headphones to purchase, I will be giving my K81DJs to my sister.

Aug 19, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #171 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by richierich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Agnostic. I've finally found out what my Sennheiser HD495s sound like (after what, 5 years or so of owning them? lol), mainly because they are very power hungry and I never had a source that could power them enough. The Microshar uAMP107 can power them, but the HD495s sound like they are missing treble. They might be damaged from all those years of power starvation.

I do love the Microshar amp with my K81DJs though, everything is more cleaner, bass is more tighter. Debating on which next headphones to purchase, I will be giving my K81DJs to my sister.

The Microshar does not indeed have the greatest extension in the highs but down below it's nice and neutral. Perhaps that's what you're hearing.

Aug 21, 2007 at 11:00 AM Post #172 of 204
I've been listening some more but imho I have to advise against the Microshar as amp for the HD595. Besides a bit grainy and recessed sounding mids somehow the soundstage sounds all wrong to me, difficult to explain but it's like the soundstage is somehow only partial, there is spatiality in the lows and lower mids but higher mids and highs sound kind of flat and compressed.

With the cx300 and KSC75 it's an entirely different beast though, sounds great with those.

Aug 21, 2007 at 11:26 AM Post #173 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agnostic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been listening some more but imho I have to advise against the Microshar as amp for the HD595. Besides a bit grainy and recessed sounding mids somehow the soundstage sounds all wrong to me, difficult to explain but it's like the soundstage is somehow only partial, there is spatiality in the lows and lower mids but higher mids and highs sound kind of flat and compressed.

With the cx300 and KSC75 it's an entirely different beast though, sounds great with those.

I guess you're thinking of a soundstage that's kind of meshed closely together (not much instrument/vocal separation) and yet not quite the same as forward-sounding?

Aug 21, 2007 at 12:21 PM Post #174 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess you're thinking of a soundstage that's kind of meshed closely together (not much instrument/vocal separation) and yet not quite the same as forward-sounding?

Something like that - though I do hear some sepparation in the lower end, for instance piano and bass seem to have some sepparation in space but cymbals snare drum and vocals seem to be all in the same place right in front of you without sounding forward...
Not sure if I'm explaining myself clearly
rolleyes.gif

Maybe it has to do with the fact that the soundstage of the HD595 is not that big to begin with, but with the right source and amp it can sound very good, like sitting in an intimate club in one of the front rows, really nice for instrumental and vocal jazz, acoustic and singer-songwriter types of music.

Aug 21, 2007 at 12:37 PM Post #175 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agnostic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Something like that - though I do hear some sepparation in the lower end, for instance piano and bass seem to have some sepparation in space but cymbals snare drum and vocals seem to be all in the same place right in front of you without sounding forward...
Not sure if I'm explaining myself clearly
rolleyes.gif

Maybe it has to do with the fact that the soundstage of the HD595 is not that big to begin with, but with the right source and amp it can sound very good, like sitting in an intimate club in one of the front rows, really nice for instrumental and vocal jazz, acoustic and singer-songwriter types of music.

Could be the amp indeed. I do feel the amp has quite forward presentation but not in the same way as a Grado is forward. Nonetheless a quite exciting amp to listen and at such a sharp price (we got it for).

Aug 21, 2007 at 12:53 PM Post #176 of 204
I agree it's a great amp for the price we got it for, I really like the way it sounds with my other phones!

It just seems to bring out and (over)amplify the weaknesses and charachteristics of the HD595. I believe in synergy and matching equipment and the Microshar and HD595 are not a happy marriage imho (that's not what I bought it for anyway, I only use the HD595 at home and for that I have the Xiang Sheng now, which sounds great with the HD595!). Just wanted to let people know what I thought of the HD595/microshar combo in case they're looking for an amp.

Aug 22, 2007 at 3:43 PM Post #177 of 204
Hooked up the Microshar with my burned-in PK1s, and all I can say is fantastic. At $62 shipped, that was one tremendous deal. Now, I have to sell off my Pa2V2, and reduce the price on the Microshar even more. Very, very happy with this purchase. And I do like the non-switch thing, because both the PA2v2 and the Penguin amp got turned on accidentally in my backpack on occasion. No weird noises or pops either.

Aug 22, 2007 at 7:57 PM Post #178 of 204
holland just bought my microshar. i hope hell like it as much as i did.

Aug 28, 2007 at 12:42 AM Post #179 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by applevalleyjoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine just got here. I hope that it sounds better than it looks!

Is the verdict in, yet?

Aug 28, 2007 at 12:53 AM Post #180 of 204
meh, I really wasn't that impressed with the amp. It sounds decent, but the case is plastic and it just looks cheap. Add that to no delay with the turn-on circuit so you get a loud 'thump' and fuzz with low independence headphones and it's just not worth it to me. At $56, it's a good deal. at the regular price... not so much

Users who are viewing this thread

Back