All about headphone amps.
Sep 26, 2010 at 2:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

imnewdonthate

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I had a question...what is the whole deal with headphone amps?  I've looked at a myriad of websites, but I can't seem to find exactly what I want.  I just want to know what they're for, if I really need one, how much they are, which ones are best, do different ones work with different types of music...etc.  Just anything you think I oughta know...

Thanks!

Sep 26, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #2 of 9
It depends on the headphones you're using.

Some of them really need amplification to get the most out of them. Others do fine right out of an iPod or soundcard.

Which headphones are you using or planning to use? The best way to handle this is to find the headphones you want and then buy an amp that best compliments them. I don't use an amp with my IEMs, but some of my full-sized headphones need an amp to reach their full potential.

Sep 26, 2010 at 3:02 AM Post #3 of 9
Yeah, you most certainly want to use a headphone amplifier.
Although you may be pleased with the one built into your source (CD player, computer sound card, or like), alternatively a dedicated external one. Mostly depending on the headphone used.

Sep 26, 2010 at 3:12 AM Post #4 of 9
Always buy your headphone amp depending on the headphones you're going to use. I've seen complaints before, about how someone read X amp was amazing, would do great things for their music, and then came back and complained their amp was useless. Well, it would be, because they were using really efficient headphones that didn't need amping! 

I also don't follow the equipment matching approach a lot of people follow, neutrality and sufficient power - that's all I need. Which ones work for what kind of music? Meh, if I can get a reasonably accurate response from my headphones, it'll be fine for most decently recorded music; bad recordings are another matter entirely. 

Sep 26, 2010 at 5:38 AM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
for now i plan on using my sr-60s, but soon i want to upgrade to the sr-80s, then 125s

The SR60s definitely do not need an amp. Would they sound better with one? Sure, but very slightly, and you'd be disappointed by the small improvement after spending hundreds of dollars on the amp.

I would wait before you've actually found that one pair of headphones that you plan on sticking with, then deciding on which amp synergizes best with it. Also, if you plan on eventually getting the 125s, don't even bother getting the 80s. Just save up and put the money you would spend on the 80s and go straight for the 125s, even if you'd have to save up for a little longer. You already know you won't be sticking with the 80s so why waste time and money buying them, only to have to save up from scratch to get the headphones you originally wanted?

Sep 26, 2010 at 7:49 AM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
so interesting !

Well to people with an interest in amps that is, from opamps to discrete circuits ,the use of feedback , it all interests me ,thats why im on this forum
can see it may not be up your street ,maybe you should get some crayons and do a nice picture instead

Users who are viewing this thread

Back