Aliexpress Cables
Dec 15, 2022 at 10:20 PM Post #2,341 of 4,401
I think the ground box is ok, but the ares is super sensitive to the tape. The ares is the most sensitive audio device I have ever had. If you place anything on top of it, it compresses the sound, if you put fo.q or oyaide tape anywhere on it or on cables, it kills bass and dynamics.

Perhaps a good balance can be found with the tape but its easy to go overboard as it reduces noise and increases resolution while killing bass, dynamics and compressing the sound. And the noise reduction and resolution is easy to notice the increase while the degradation to the dynamics and stage are not as noticeable while the other thing is happening.
Originally I had 4 strips on the ares. I took off 1, but if I take off 2 it sounds flatter...I find the 3 strips on the ares makes the sound richer...IDK...maybe I'm crazy... :thinking: :joy_cat: :joy_cat: :joy_cat:

Dec 15, 2022 at 10:28 PM Post #2,342 of 4,401
Originally I had 4 strips on the ares. I took off 1, but if I take off 2 it sounds flatter...I find the 3 strips on the ares makes the sound richer...IDK...maybe I'm crazy... :thinking: :joy_cat: :joy_cat: :joy_cat:
If what you have it set to now sounds good to your ears then thats all that matters.

I will go insane constantly adding and removing tape attempting to find that perfect balance. Thats how I ended up going through like 5 packages of fo.q tape, so I decided not to mess with it anymore and try to reduce noise other ways.

I have a theory that once noise in injected into the audio signal, its not possible to remove or reduce it without causing degradation in the audio signal somewhere else. So I think the best way to minimize noise in the system is before it reaches the audio signal with clean power.

The benefit of going through all those packages of tape is that I've learned to identify what resonance sounds like when reflecting off of plastic and metal which helped me immensely in modding my headphones with the tape.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2022 at 12:07 AM Post #2,343 of 4,401
After another day of tinkering with the Faraday Fabric Tape, I finally got my system just where I want it. My system has reached epic new heights, and sounding absolutely magnificent. Liquid mids & treble that strikes a perfect balance of detail and resolve, and now is not fatiguing even on bright songs. Bass is palpable and as natural and deep as one could imagine.

This time I started by adding more to the bottom of 3 components on the right (Wyrd, DC LPS and DDC), which all improved things in some way. I tried a few patterns of less/more on the DDC, as well as the amp and settled on my favorite sound because every time I changed shape it changed the performance. Here I went with a square shape on top, and a "+" shape on bottom. Also per @szore 's recommendation I tried connecting tape strips for more of a true Faraday effect. On the amp I found the thin strip sounded more balanced, with a normal thickness adding brightness.
20221215_140800.jpg

I also tried the recommendation for tape shielding around my AC outlet. After 4 different patterns from this one to only 2, then the other 2, then just 1 strip, every time this made the system sound bright and compressed, so I went with none. On other areas of my system the overall organic character and depth of everything is improved - no negative effect on dynamics or soundstage.

20221215_002852.jpg

This is the pattern I settled on for my power conditioner. The effect was much better on these sides as opposed to on the steel, and sounded better when connecting the sides separately instead of all together. I'm assuming this one may not make any difference on the underside of it.
20221215_140848.jpg

Dec 16, 2022 at 12:43 AM Post #2,344 of 4,401
After another day of tinkering with the Faraday Fabric Tape, I finally got my system just where I want it. My system has reached epic new heights, and sounding absolutely magnificent. Liquid mids & treble that strikes a perfect balance of detail and resolve, and now is not fatiguing even on bright songs. Bass is palpable and as natural and deep as one could imagine.

This time I started by adding more to the bottom of 3 components on the right (Wyrd, DC LPS and DDC), which all improved things in some way. I tried a few patterns of less/more on the DDC, as well as the amp and settled on my favorite sound because every time I changed shape it changed the performance. Here I went with a square shape on top, and a "+" shape on bottom. Also per @szore 's recommendation I tried connecting tape strips for more of a true Faraday effect. On the amp I found the thin strip sounded more balanced, with a normal thickness adding brightness.
20221215_140800.jpg

I also tried the recommendation for tape shielding around my AC outlet. After 4 different patterns from this one to only 2, then the other 2, then just 1 strip, every time this made the system sound bright and compressed, so I went with none. On other areas of my system the overall organic character and depth of everything is improved - no negative effect on dynamics or soundstage.

20221215_002852.jpg

This is the pattern I settled on for my power conditioner. The effect was much better on these sides as opposed to on the steel, and sounded better when connecting the sides separately instead of all together. I'm assuming this one may not make any difference on the underside of it.
20221215_140848.jpg
You are happy, that is what counts. Do you leave that power conditioner on the carpet like in the pic?

Dec 16, 2022 at 5:14 AM Post #2,346 of 4,401
Yes, it's been there under the desk for over 3 years. Any benefits otherwise? It weighs 60lbs.
Well aside fire hazard likely performance will take a hit, mainly because of static.

Dec 16, 2022 at 6:32 AM Post #2,347 of 4,401
I bought one litz silver cable, I feel more result in higher frequencies, more because of the silver material than the litz structure.
However the plugs are poor quality, especially on headphone side, this is quite a problem as no high end 2.5 mono plug seem to exist (PM-1 or hifiman type)

Dec 16, 2022 at 9:10 AM Post #2,348 of 4,401
Dec 16, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #2,349 of 4,401
My tape arrives today...

@DecentLevi I see you took the tape off the wall plate. did you leave it on the power cable connector?

Do others still use it covering the outlet?

Any recommendation for a RFI/EMI meter from amazon? was considering trying one out since I can return it. would be interesting to take some readings before/after

Dec 16, 2022 at 12:12 PM Post #2,350 of 4,401
My tape arrives today...

@DecentLevi I see you took the tape off the wall plate. did you leave it on the power cable connector?

Any recommendation for a RFI/EMI meter from amazon? was considering trying one out since I can return it. would be interesting to take some readings before/after
Just a word of warning to save yourself some trouble.

Use a little bit at a time and one connection at a time. I used some on the underside of the outlet cover but i think a few thin strips is more than enough.

Dec 16, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #2,351 of 4,401
My tape arrives today...

https://a.co/d/glxpgsI

Cheaper options (around $80 ) available on Ali

Dec 16, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #2,353 of 4,401
My tape arrives today...

What Dougms3 said. Try Power related first and then digital. So as to not mess up the performance will take time to apply, listen, adjust amount used. Sometimes after application of any shielding attempt it is obvious, sometime subtle, sometimes does nothing. One area at a time, critically listen, adjust by adding or removing material, then listen again and so forth. Otherwise you will find the next day your system sounds off and you will have no idea how to fix or tune.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back