Aliexpress Cables
Sep 4, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #721 of 4,401
Yeah I remember that usb cable made a pretty big difference.

Surprising how much the silver makes and the conductor shielding with teflon sleeve probably helps alot to reduce the EMI bleed from the power in the cable.
Although the Odin "2" USB cable looks and performs SPLENDIDLY, I'm still questioning whether or not it actually contains silver. I mean the look and performance gives me no reason to doubt it, but the cheap price leaves me wondering what it's actually made of? Even if so, they chose a good material whatever it is.

Same goes for the Odin Gold AC cable, now that can't be made of real gold but I'm still not faulting it. One observation however when taking that apart to do cdacosta's nano liquid suggestion was that the connection assembly and external connectors are made out of cheap standard brass and/or copper. Again I'll say however it works superbly though.

Sep 4, 2022 at 5:56 PM Post #722 of 4,401
Coming back to the IEM cables, I cannot recommend enough. The palladium plated gold plated silver one sheds a light on the mids, really highlights the Szalayi's planar driver. The foundatation is what you get on the gold plated silver without palladium cable. Both cables have HUGE soundstages that really open up, and also great clarity and detail. And everything has that sweet, gold plated shimmer, absolutley stunning! I'm using the GPS with Szalayi and it is holographic, sweet, egaging with stunning clarity and detail, the SZA really lights up! All my IEM's I tried with these cables were super charged, It's like getting a whole new IEM collection with 1 upgrade, its THAT dramatic. Easily on par with $1K+ cables. And they are both 8 wire. The 8 wire Horus sells for $3,400, this is $220....

20220904_115809.jpg
Those cables do look nice. Any word on microphonics? For me that is the biggest issue I've had with a silver modestly stiff upgrade I got at a good hi-fi earphone store in Tokyo. Top pure quality, but even breathing results in a big amplified sound into your ears.

Also which are your favorite IEMs to pair with it so far?

Sep 4, 2022 at 6:29 PM Post #723 of 4,401
Although the Odin "2" USB cable looks and performs SPLENDIDLY, I'm still questioning whether or not it actually contains silver. I mean the look and performance gives me no reason to doubt it, but the cheap price leaves me wondering what it's actually made of? Even if so, they chose a good material whatever it is.

Same goes for the Odin Gold AC cable, now that can't be made of real gold but I'm still not faulting it. One observation however when taking that apart to do cdacosta's nano liquid suggestion was that the connection assembly and external connectors are made out of cheap standard brass and/or copper. Again I'll say however it works superbly though.
Its most likely sterling silver conductors.

I opened up one of the cables to verify.

It's on the first page of this thread.

Sep 4, 2022 at 7:57 PM Post #724 of 4,401

Attachments

• e5Hzi97.jpg
    e5Hzi97.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 0
Sep 4, 2022 at 9:32 PM Post #725 of 4,401
Its most likely sterling silver conductors.

I opened up one of the cables to verify.

It's on the first page of this thread.
You know in my case, I tried these cables because of a recommendation. Never heard of using Sterling Silver for conductors or plating with conductors. Except of course the Chinglish on Aliexpress listings.

Sep 4, 2022 at 9:43 PM Post #726 of 4,401
Those cables do look nice. Any word on microphonics? For me that is the biggest issue I've had with a silver modestly stiff upgrade I got at a good hi-fi earphone store in Tokyo. Top pure quality, but even breathing results in a big amplified sound into your ears.

Also which are your favorite IEMs to pair with it so far?
No microphonics that I can detect, build is excellent. I've been listening mostly to the Szalayi on the gold plated silver cable. But also the Penon Vortex, after bass mod, turns into a BEAST on these cables...even off the DAP the Vortex just transforms into a monster IEM.

Sep 4, 2022 at 11:58 PM Post #727 of 4,401
You know in my case, I tried these cables because of a recommendation. Never heard of using Sterling Silver for conductors or plating with conductors. Except of course the Chinglish on Aliexpress listings.
I figure its the aliexpress seller way, they market it as pure silver knowing its sterling silver or some kind of alloy. I cut the wire to make sure it was all solid core silver. 99.99 % of people will have no way to check it, unless its melted down or lab tested.

But its my opinion that sterling silver, which is typically 92.5%/7.5% silver/copper mix but even if its less silver than that, I think its still better than silver plated copper. I believe there are some arguments related to SPC on how it contributes to time smear. I'm in the camp that tends to believe it does so typically I would prefer an alloy rather than plating.

Sep 5, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #728 of 4,401
I figure its the aliexpress seller way, they market it as pure silver knowing its sterling silver or some kind of alloy. I cut the wire to make sure it was all solid core silver. 99.99 % of people will have no way to check it, unless its melted down or lab tested.

But its my opinion that sterling silver, which is typically 92.5%/7.5% silver/copper mix but even if its less silver than that, I think its still better than silver plated copper. I believe there are some arguments related to SPC on how it contributes to time smear. I'm in the camp that tends to believe it does so typically I would prefer an alloy rather than plating.
Agreed. I also prefer an alloy vs silver plating. Whatever the metal composition, it works well. For me, performance to price I find to be stellar. Zero reason to build cables when these can be had so inexpensively.

Sep 5, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #729 of 4,401
Sep 5, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #730 of 4,401
Hi guys. I read the entire thread and didn’t find what I’m looking for.

To avoid the OTG adapter, I’m looking for a good USB C to USB B cable to connect my fire HD 8 to ayima D03.

Or it’s better to use the fake cable from AliExpress (the recommended here) with the otg adapter (usb A to C).

Thanks for the help.

Edit. I need to buy from AliExpress.

Sep 5, 2022 at 7:14 PM Post #731 of 4,401

To avoid the OTG adapter, I’m looking for a good USB C to USB B cable to connect my fire HD 8 to ayima D03.

Or it’s better to use the fake cable from AliExpress (the recommended here) with the otg adapter (usb A to C).

Thanks for the help.

Its always best to avoid adapters if you can.

It probably will be difficult to find an odin with usb c. The conductors are way to large to fit into the usb C connector.

I think I have seen some other sellers on aliexpress sell usb c to usb b that will probably be better quality than some cheap off the shelf cable. If I come across it again I'll post it here but you'll have better luck searching directly.

Sep 5, 2022 at 8:13 PM Post #732 of 4,401

Thanks for the help.

If you can find a decent adapter the USB cable you have seen recommended will work fine for your setup. Be aware the USB cable will be heavy for your use or tablet and little amp/DAC.

Sep 5, 2022 at 11:13 PM Post #733 of 4,401
Coming back to the IEM cables, I cannot recommend enough. The palladium plated gold plated silver one sheds a light on the mids, really highlights the Szalayi's planar driver. The foundatation is what you get on the gold plated silver without palladium cable. Both cables have HUGE soundstages that really open up, and also great clarity and detail. And everything has that sweet, gold plated shimmer, absolutley stunning! I'm using the GPS with Szalayi and it is holographic, sweet, egaging with stunning clarity and detail, the SZA really lights up! All my IEM's I tried with these cables were super charged, It's like getting a whole new IEM collection with 1 upgrade, its THAT dramatic. Easily on par with $1K+ cables. And they are both 8 wire. The 8 wire Horus sells for $3,400, this is $220....

20220904_115809.jpg

Does this scale well with the lower end iems? iems I have are under $120.

Sep 6, 2022 at 5:45 AM Post #734 of 4,401
Thank you guys.

I have some cable in my list and later I’ll share the links here.

I think my otg adapter is good quality.

And I have one usb c / b cable from ugreen but isn’t specific for audio.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back