Aliexpress Cables
Sep 29, 2022 at 7:39 PM Post #1,051 of 4,370
So I ordered a nice 4 wire 7N cable 3.5mm from Hiclass Hifi connector store for $35 and its awesome, I have to believe its as good as PWAudio's $350 cable which looks the same. But when I got the 8 wire silver, there was some static on the left side (problem has since gone away). I wanted an 8 wire 4.4mm version of the 7N cable, so He custom built it for me, and because of the static problem he is only charging me $10 for the 8 wire 7N. I told him the static problem went away, and he is still sending me the cable, he said he was mailing it today (China time). He showed me a picture of the custom 8 wire, how awesome is this? Just $10 he is charging me because he figures a cable repair would cost around $65. I think that is really great of him, look at this nice 8 wire he made for me!

S243ed70cc62f467286bc86af15f1f2b49.jpg

Sep 29, 2022 at 7:51 PM Post #1,052 of 4,370
My WEL Signature Solid PSS CARBON-BASED 72V DBS HIFI EU AC Audiophile Power cable 1.8M arrived today.
From seller AUDIOSON store search for item 2251832811530567. You can request different power plug types by messaging there.

Could @Crypt Keeper or someone explain the function of the external component and the 2.5mm connector? It looks like an external battery pack and / or tester. Thanks!

20220929_123325.jpg
I believe it acts as an active noise cancellation and/or grounding device. You should test it with and without to see if theres any difference.

Let us know how it goes. :)

Sep 29, 2022 at 8:06 PM Post #1,054 of 4,370
So I ordered a nice 4 wire 7N cable 3.5mm from Hiclass Hifi connector store for $35 and its awesome, I have to believe its as good as PWAudio's $350 cable which looks the same. But when I got the 8 wire silver, there was some static on the left side (problem has since gone away). I wanted an 8 wire 4.4mm version of the 7N cable, so He custom built it for me, and because of the static problem he is only charging me $10 for the 8 wire 7N. I told him the static problem went away, and he is still sending me the cable, he said he was mailing it today (China time). He showed me a picture of the custom 8 wire, how awesome is this? Just $10 he is charging me because he figures a cable repair would cost around $65. I think that is really great of him, look at this nice 8 wire he made for me!

S243ed70cc62f467286bc86af15f1f2b49.jpg
I wish I could find same in dual 3.5mm to XLR 4 pin. Its really challanging on Ali

Sep 29, 2022 at 8:24 PM Post #1,055 of 4,370
I wish I could find same in dual 3.5mm to XLR 4 pin. Its really challanging on Ali
Message him he will most likley build it for you

Sep 29, 2022 at 8:40 PM Post #1,056 of 4,370
Also these Odin 2s are burning in, the power cords and the gold XLR, and the mids are really becoming so transparent with great clarity and depth. And now that the AresII and the Jotunheim2 is plugged into the bic500, everything is tighter and much more engaging, plus I have the audiophile silver fuses in the bic500 and the dac.... Right now I'm listening to Mozart's 23rd Piano Concerto with Claudio Abbado and Rudolf Serkin, DG. I've been listening to this since the 80's and I always come back to it, the performance is for me, along with Kathleen Battle's Mozart arias, and the Requiem by Karajan, the epitome of Mozart's accesibility. Anyway, the clarity and the tightness and the layered presentation, all hanging with utmost clarity in 3D space. The soundstage is truly vast. I'm using my Szalayi and the 8 wire silver. Desktop sounds amazing, and yet I can still hear there is more clarity to be squeezed out of this...Listening to the piano against the strings is utterly coherent and natural, there is no 'layering' effect between the highs mids and lows, its all coherent and just suspended in the soundstage...The bass too is just transparent, natural, layered and effortlessly rendered, with tons of layering and space. Nice black background which really enhances the the micro and macro dynamics, really nice... So thankfull to have found this thread! :)

20220929_203047.jpg

Sep 30, 2022 at 9:46 AM Post #1,057 of 4,370
My WEL Signature Solid PSS CARBON-BASED 72V DBS HIFI EU AC Audiophile Power cable 1.8M arrived today.
From seller AUDIOSON store search for item 2251832811530567. You can request different power plug types by messaging there.

Could @Crypt Keeper or someone explain the function of the external component and the 2.5mm connector? It looks like an external battery pack and / or tester. Thanks!

20220929_123325.jpg
The 72v (dc) is an Audioquest design. I have been experimenting with it for a decade. Concept is the 72v coming from battery pack keeps the cable’s dielectric constant. It works. Break-in is faster, about 1-2 weeks. The 2.5mm connector coming from cable plugs into the battery pack.

Sep 30, 2022 at 10:10 AM Post #1,058 of 4,370
Also these Odin 2s are burning in, the power cords and the gold XLR, and the mids are really becoming so transparent with great clarity and depth. And now that the AresII and the Jotunheim2 is plugged into the bic500, everything is tighter and much more engaging, plus I have the audiophile silver fuses in the bic500 and the dac.... Right now I'm listening to Mozart's 23rd Piano Concerto with Claudio Abbado and Rudolf Serkin, DG. I've been listening to this since the 80's and I always come back to it, the performance is for me, along with Kathleen Battle's Mozart arias, and the Requiem by Karajan, the epitome of Mozart's accesibility. Anyway, the clarity and the tightness and the layered presentation, all hanging with utmost clarity in 3D space. The soundstage is truly vast. I'm using my Szalayi and the 8 wire silver. Desktop sounds amazing, and yet I can still hear there is more clarity to be squeezed out of this...Listening to the piano against the strings is utterly coherent and natural, there is no 'layering' effect between the highs mids and lows, its all coherent and just suspended in the soundstage...The bass too is just transparent, natural, layered and effortlessly rendered, with tons of layering and space. Nice black background which really enhances the the micro and macro dynamics, really nice... So thankfull to have found this thread! :)

20220929_203047.jpg
Glad to hear you've finally sorted out that issue with the fuse.

Is it just me or the silver cable on the right look thicker than the other two?

Sep 30, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #1,059 of 4,370
Glad to hear you've finally sorted out that issue with the fuse.

Is it just me or the silver cable on the right look thicker than the other two?
I think that is just camera perspective

Sep 30, 2022 at 9:35 PM Post #1,060 of 4,370
The 72v (dc) is an Audioquest design. I have been experimenting with it for a decade. Concept is the 72v coming from battery pack keeps the cable’s dielectric constant. It works. Break-in is faster, about 1-2 weeks. The 2.5mm connector coming from cable plugs into the battery pack.
Thanks for the input. I tried the Wel cable last night, still too early stages to give any sonic impressions. But after around a half hour, I went and felt the battery pack which is known as DBS, and it was becoming moderately warm. If I had to guess, maybe 130° f so I disconnected the battery pack. My ears are telling me it was better without it, but it could have been identical either way. It may not have made any difference being the placement was before my power conditioner which is also before my gold Odin and the Furman inline power filter. I asked the seller on AliExpress for any instructions, he didn't have any, but seems to tell me to just plug it in, but he also wasn't aware whether or not it should get warm at all. Is heat from it usual or anything to worry about?

Oct 1, 2022 at 12:35 AM Post #1,061 of 4,370
Thanks for the input. I tried the Wel cable last night, still too early stages to give any sonic impressions. But after around a half hour, I went and felt the battery pack which is known as DBS, and it was becoming moderately warm. If I had to guess, maybe 130° f so I disconnected the battery pack. My ears are telling me it was better without it, but it could have been identical either way. It may not have made any difference being the placement was before my power conditioner which is also before my gold Odin and the Furman inline power filter. I asked the seller on AliExpress for any instructions, he didn't have any, but seems to tell me to just plug it in, but he also wasn't aware whether or not it should get warm at all. Is heat from it usual or anything to worry about?
The DBS battery pack should not get warm, should be room temp. There is no power drawn from the batteries. The positive and negative from the battery pack only stabilize the dielectric. And the break-in is about 2 weeks. After two weeks unplug the battery pack and you "should" hear a sonic degradation, if not the implementation is wrong.

If you feel the battery pack go up in temp to 130 degrees something is wrong.

Oct 1, 2022 at 3:19 AM Post #1,062 of 4,370
The DBS battery pack should not get warm, should be room temp. There is no power drawn from the batteries. The positive and negative from the battery pack only stabilize the dielectric. And the break-in is about 2 weeks. After two weeks unplug the battery pack and you "should" hear a sonic degradation, if not the implementation is wrong.

If you feel the battery pack go up in temp to 130 degrees something is wrong.
From memory AudioScience did a review on the original cable found that the battery pack caused more distortion to the cable,which reflects your experience at the moment.

Oct 1, 2022 at 11:39 AM Post #1,063 of 4,370
Oct 1, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #1,064 of 4,370
Since I have a few power cables to play with I thought I'd cable roll starting with my Denafrips ares II dac.

Gold Odin Knockoff - This cable offers the best resolution, top end accentuation and neutral throughout rest of the frequency range.

Knockoff Gryphon - This cable is the warmest and bassiest cable. It adds alot of thick richness and body to the sound. Not as resolving as the gold odin.

Furutech 314ag II with knockoff fi-50 connectors - This cable sounds fairly neutral - warm, kind of in between the odin and gryphon. Resolution is on par with the gryphon. Not as bassy and doesn't have the richness or body of the gryphon.

I settled on the Gryphon cable for the ares ii for now.

Oct 1, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #1,065 of 4,370
I had a highly adventurous night experimenting with combinations of the Wel Signature AC cable and Furman Flux-50 inline power filter (knockoffs) from Aliexpress. Adventurous as in educational moreso than amazing. This is all IMO / IME, so YMMV.

To my surprise, it seems the Flux-50 inline power filter is fairly picky on synergy. I got lucky on my first pairing with it at the end of the Odin Gold AC cable going into my tube amp, but for some reason the same cable pairing into my DDC (Audio-GD DI20) didn't bode well seeming too bright. Combined with any cable (both generic and aftermarket alike) into my central power conditioning unit was painfully bright and harsh. Paired with my Wireworld Aurora 7 AC cable into the DDC was a sweet spot, which oddly enough sounded darker paired with this brighter cable than when paired with the Odin Gold, which OTOH did gel well going into my tube amp. I still plan to get at least one more for the DDC.

Wel Signature AC cable. To me, this thing is built like a tank and solid as they come, but I've yet to be blown away by the sound. Firstly RE my previously mentioned episode with the battery pack overheating, turns out the jack connector wasn't fully inserted, likely causing a temporary short out. Luckily I noticed it within enough time to disconnect it and there's still good life remaining of the battery which I might add seems non-removable. It just needed an extra firm exhertion to properly secure, and now it's not getting warm, even overnight.

Initially I had the Wels cable connected directly to the power conditioner, which for me seems maybe ideal. Brief comparisons were it may be a bit brighter than both the Wireworld Aurora 7 blue color cable and a generic black IEC cable which I fitted with a logical mixture of industrial quality external ferrite clamps; the Wels cable sounding maybe a touch brighter with possibly(?) smoother treble and (maybe?) a touch more sense of depth than both cables. The Wels cable into my tube amp was good, but the combination of Odin Gold + Flux-50 beat it hands down, injecting more body and 'color' overall, the Wels sounding a bit too transparent or colorless, and not boding well in any case with the Flux-50.

I'm not sure if it's making any improvement; will burn-in full time for 1-2 weeks and do some more comparisons.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back