Aliexpress Cables
Apr 18, 2024 at 6:33 AM Post #4,321 of 4,359
I will share my recommendation, in stair steps. Think of each step as starter, then better, to absolutely stunning.

Option #1 (the starter) - Clone Nordost Odin 2 balanced XLR interconnects. Alternatively for a slightly warmer presentation, the clone Odin Gold balanced XLR interconnects. These cables are the best value to performance ratio I have experienced to date. About $60 USD for a meter pair for either models.

Here is where I purchased my Odin Gold. The Odin 2 I purchased over two years ago and cannot see it on Aliexpress anymore. Will include a pic of them in the last (Ultimate upgrade) form:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...t_main.10.16ed1802U5MLJr&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

Upgrade #1: Replace both ends with solderless EIZZ XLR Tellurium Copper connectors. If you have access to Furutech Nano Liquid, use it on all contacts inside the connectors and contact points to the components. Cost about $75 USD for the set of 4 connectors and heat shrink. Here is where I purchased them and will include a pic of mine:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251...t_main.30.16ed1802U5MLJr&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

Ultimate upgrade: Clone Nordost Odin 2 or Odin Gold cable. Upgrade the connectors, ditching the soldered connections. And lastly add a good ground cable and good passive ground box. If you have access to Furutech Nano Liquid, use it on all contacts inside the connectors and contact points to the components. Cost of adding a good ground box with ground cables if my DIY is approx. $100 - $120 USD. You can use my DIY recipe for the whole thing or get a good passive ground box of at least 2KG mineral weight. I am not kidding, In this form, I would put these cables up against "any" multi thousand dollar pair of interconnects. Will upgrade system performance dramatically by lowering the noise floor of the DAC's output stage and cable. I can go on and on how good this cable setup is and what it does for the system. But to keep costs down you have to DIY the ground cable and ground box.

Downside is the Odin 2 or Odin Gold cable needs about 600 hours of signal burn-in or burn-in using a cable cooker to sound best. The burn-in swings are crazy with this cable, so be forewarned.
Thank you, is this the Odin gold ?
https://a.aliexpress.com/_om4Gpiq

Also what is the difference between copper and silver cables sound wise?

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 7:02 AM Post #4,322 of 4,359
I will share my recommendation, in stair steps. Think of each step as starter, then better, to absolutely stunning.

Option #1 (the starter) - Clone Nordost Odin 2 balanced XLR interconnects. Alternatively for a slightly warmer presentation, the clone Odin Gold balanced XLR interconnects. These cables are the best value to performance ratio I have experienced to date. About $60 USD for a meter pair for either models.

Here is where I purchased my Odin Gold. The Odin 2 I purchased over two years ago and cannot see it on Aliexpress anymore. Will include a pic of them in the last (Ultimate upgrade) form:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...t_main.10.16ed1802U5MLJr&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

Upgrade #1: Replace both ends with solderless EIZZ XLR Tellurium Copper connectors. If you have access to Furutech Nano Liquid, use it on all contacts inside the connectors and contact points to the components. Cost about $75 USD for the set of 4 connectors and heat shrink. Here is where I purchased them and will include a pic of mine:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251...t_main.30.16ed1802U5MLJr&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

Ultimate upgrade: Clone Nordost Odin 2 or Odin Gold cable. Upgrade the connectors, ditching the soldered connections. And lastly add a good ground cable and good passive ground box. If you have access to Furutech Nano Liquid, use it on all contacts inside the connectors and contact points to the components. Cost of adding a good ground box with ground cables if my DIY is approx. $100 - $120 USD. You can use my DIY recipe for the whole thing or get a good passive ground box of at least 2KG mineral weight. I am not kidding, In this form, I would put these cables up against "any" multi thousand dollar pair of interconnects. Will upgrade system performance dramatically by lowering the noise floor of the DAC's output stage and cable. I can go on and on how good this cable setup is and what it does for the system. But to keep costs down you have to DIY the ground cable and ground box.

Downside is the Odin 2 or Odin Gold cable needs about 600 hours of signal burn-in or burn-in using a cable cooker to sound best. The burn-in swings are crazy with this cable, so be forewarned.
Thanks for this helpful breakdown on improving what I also feel is such a good sounding value proposition base interconnect.

I have the Odin Gold XLR and can attest to the burn in swings in character. One moment is sounding lusciously warm and big sounding and few hours later it becomes thin and overly etched. I’m at only the 100 hour mark. The volume level seems to change too. When I first plugged it in, it sounded way louder than my other xlr.

I’m hesitating on my order for the 75ohm coaxial Odin gold as I haven’t managed to get a handle of this pair of XLR’s yet. There is an off chance that it’s likely one side of the RCA I/C sold as as 75ohm coax. 😅

Apr 18, 2024 at 1:21 PM Post #4,323 of 4,359
Thank you, is this the Odin gold ?
https://a.aliexpress.com/_om4Gpiq

Also what is the difference between copper and silver cables sound wise?
That is the Odin Gold. For the wire specifically, high quality copper vs high quality silver usually has warmer mids/vocals, more bass region presence, fuller body. IMHO, pure silver needs to be properly burned in or placed on a cable cooker to really shine. Silver offers a quicker presentation, more top end extension and articulation. Above is the simple answer. When it comes to interconnects, there is a lot to the design that affects sonic performance, not just the wire.

The Nordost and clone varients have conductors that are a silver plated solid core copper. I usually stay away from silver plated copper for line level signal transmission. With these interconnects it works.

Apr 18, 2024 at 1:35 PM Post #4,324 of 4,359
Thanks for this helpful breakdown on improving what I also feel is such a good sounding value proposition base interconnect.

I have the Odin Gold XLR and can attest to the burn in swings in character. One moment is sounding lusciously warm and big sounding and few hours later it becomes thin and overly etched. I’m at only the 100 hour mark. The volume level seems to change too. When I first plugged it in, it sounded way louder than my other xlr.

I’m hesitating on my order for the 75ohm coaxial Odin gold as I haven’t managed to get a handle of this pair of XLR’s yet. There is an off chance that it’s likely one side of the RCA I/C sold as as 75ohm coax. 😅
The big sonic swings will last into the 400 hour mark. IIRC sonic swings will start to calm down after 300 - 350 hours or so. After around 500 hours you will know what you have. For me the Odin Gold “after break-in” resulted is a warmish and balanced presentation. Overall has an inviting and dynamic (not as much as Odin 2 though) presentation.

Apr 18, 2024 at 1:52 PM Post #4,325 of 4,359
That is the Odin Gold. For the wire specifically, high quality copper vs high quality silver usually has warmer mids/vocals, more bass region presence, fuller body. IMHO, pure silver needs to be properly burned in or placed on a cable cooker to really shine. Silver offers a quicker presentation, more top end extension and articulation. Above is the simple answer. When it comes to interconnects, there is a lot to the design that affects sonic performance, not just the wire.

The Nordost and clone varients have conductors that are a silver plated solid core copper. I usually stay away from silver plated copper for line level signal transmission. With these interconnects it works.
Thank you for your help, but I got really confused with all these sellers offering the same cable!
The link you put it states that it’s copper with silver plated.
The one I placed is copper only but it is not Odin gold it says it’s Odin 2 gold ?
Which one is the one?

Apr 18, 2024 at 2:32 PM Post #4,326 of 4,359
Thank you for your help, but I got really confused with all these sellers offering the same cable!
The link you put it states that it’s copper with silver plated.
The one I placed is copper only but it is not Odin gold it says it’s Odin 2 gold ?
Which one is the one?
I recommend you get the one I sent you a link to. I have a pair of those cables. These cables are suppose to have silver plated copper conductors.

Apr 18, 2024 at 7:43 PM Post #4,329 of 4,359
Thanks, any impression of Odin Gold Co-ax SPDIF on full run in. Am wondering if it’s a true 75ohm coax or just the same IC cable repurposed and marketed as such.
Or is yours the Odin2 coax…
Any other coax cables on aliex worth experimenting?
I have the Odin 2 SPDIF. I replaced the soldered WBT clone connectors with Furutech clone solderless locking connectors. I then modded them to add a ground cable to filter through a ground box. I like the cable I have. Just replacing the soldered connectors to solderless improved the cable. Even without the ground box the cable out performs anything I have tried under $200.

EDIT: I realized I never answered your original question. After replacing the connectors the cable is very articulate and fairly resolving. Balanced presentation, no frequency peaks or odd frequency imbalance. Fairly quick presentation. Kind of best of pure copper and silver mixed. Great value cable. My cable is a twisted pair. Can post a pic later when I get home if you like.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 8:22 PM Post #4,330 of 4,359
I have the Odin 2 SPDIF. I replaced the soldered WBT clone connectors with Furutech clone solderless locking connectors. I then modded them to add a ground cable to filter through a ground box. I like the cable I have. Just replacing the soldered connectors to solderless improved the cable. Even without the ground box the cable out performs anything I have tried under $200.

EDIT: I realized I never answered your original question. After replacing the connectors the cable is very articulate and fairly resolving. Balanced presentation, no frequency peaks or odd frequency imbalance. Fairly quick presentation. Kind of best of pure copper and silver mixed. Great value cable. My cable is a twisted pair. Can post a pic later when I get home if you like.
Yes I think I have that similar coax. Or had, someone has taken that over. I’m running in my Odin Gold XLRs and don’t want to have too many variables. Plus I don’t have proper soldering skills so I didn’t want to muck it up. The twisted Odin 2 co ax looks to be similar cable by most sellers. Initial impressions was highly detailed but at times strident in the treble. But like you said, changing the clone wbt does improve that. And like all of these Odins, 50-60 hours of normal playtime is really not a fair assessment.

I came from a Single ended 300b set up to now a Class A solid state integrated Luxman. Hoping to replicate some of that holographic single ended sound from before.
And by default, most of my cables and power cords used in the old system were synergistic to get the most out of the WAVAC. So I’m looking at experimenting with some value aliexpress cables to tune the set up for a more organic sound.
Cheers

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 9:04 PM Post #4,331 of 4,359
Yes I think I have that similar coax. Or had, someone has taken that over. I’m running in my Odin Gold XLRs and don’t want to have too many variables. Plus I don’t have proper soldering skills so I didn’t want to muck it up. The twisted Odin 2 co ax looks to be similar cable by most sellers. Initial impressions was highly detailed but at times strident in the treble. But like you said, changing the clone wbt does improve that. And like all of these Odins, 50-60 hours of normal playtime is really not a fair assessment.

I came from a Single ended 300b set up to now a Class A solid state integrated Luxman. Hoping to replicate some of that holographic single ended sound from before.
And by default, most of my cables and power cords used in the old system were synergistic to get the most out of the WAVAC. So I’m looking at experimenting with some value aliexpress cables to tune the set up for a more organic sound.
Cheers
Being serious here. If you want a more natural, organic presentation with improved PRaT, Furutech Nano Liquid is your ticket.

Apr 19, 2024 at 12:09 AM Post #4,332 of 4,359
Thanks, any impression of Odin Gold Co-ax SPDIF on full run in. Am wondering if it’s a true 75ohm coax or just the same IC cable repurposed and marketed as such.
Or is yours the Odin2 coax…
Any other coax cables on aliex worth experimenting?
Here are pics of the Odin SPDIF cable I have. First is stock, before modifying the cable. Second pic is after replacing stock soldered WBT clone connectors with solderless locking Furutech clone connectors and a ground cable.

Attachments

• Odin SPDIF cable.JPG
    Odin SPDIF cable.JPG
    16 KB · Views: 0
  • SPDIF Ground Box Cable Mod.jpg
    SPDIF Ground Box Cable Mod.jpg
    530.8 KB · Views: 0
Apr 19, 2024 at 3:21 AM Post #4,333 of 4,359
Being serious here. If you want a more natural, organic presentation with improved PRaT, Furutech Nano Liquid is your ticket.
How frequent are recommended applications ? It’s a very tiny vial 😅

I’m pretty sure you’re right on both fronts …. plated connectors , solder add to digital haze.
A Japanese tube Amp Designer actually recommend bare wire if possible for speaker terminations and a cheap non-gold/silver/rhodium plated rca plug as his favourite sounding. I don’t even think it was pure copper.

Right now, I have my toslink ( glass cable) sounding fuller and more organic than any of the few old 75ohm spdif cables I have at hand. If I strain real hard in A/B perhaps I might say the co-ax has smidgen more detail or more glare ? depending on what music I play.

I might take a deep breath and place an order for the Nano- liquid soon

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 4:21 AM Post #4,334 of 4,359
How frequent are recommended applications ? It’s a very tiny vial 😅

I’m pretty sure you’re right on both fronts …. plated connectors , solder add to digital haze.
A Japanese tube Amp Designer actually recommend bare wire if possible for speaker terminations and a cheap non-gold/silver/rhodium plated rca plug as his favourite sounding. I don’t even think it was pure copper.

Right now, I have my toslink ( glass cable) sounding fuller and more organic than any of the few old 75ohm spdif cables I have at hand. If I strain real hard in A/B perhaps I might say the co-ax has smidgen more detail or more glare ? depending on what music I play.

I might take a deep breath and place an order for the Nano- liquid soon
If you do not plug and unplug Furutech Nano Liquid, it does not need re-application. Furutech recommended to me after 3 plug and unplug cycles, clean off and re-apply. Never tested this myself. Application are very light coats. One small bottle should be enough to treat an entire system. I have written about Furutech Nano Liquid more times on Head-Fi and email responses than I can count. If you treat "all" mechanical connections it will upgrade your system. I have never experienced a negative effect applying Nano Liquid on mechanical connections. After a couple of applications, say both ends of an interconnect connection to a component, and say at both ends of a power cord... you will want to know "every" location possible to treat. Trust me on this. Two locations or so will give you a more musical, more resolving and relaxed natural presentation. Once you hear your system start to transform, you will want to know how much better it can get. Oddly there are more locations within your system that can be treated than most usually think of. Reason why is you would be lowering the noise floor each time you are treating a mechanical connection. Nano Liquid is reducing the micro arcing of the electrical signal between the mechanical connections.

Took me 25 years in this hobby to learn that the key to meaningfully improve the performance of a home audio system (headphone or 2+ channel setup), is lowering the noise floor. This is not the venue to properly discuss the topic of lowering noise floor and how to do it. Changing cables can enhance or tune the sonic presentation. Can also improve performance. Lowering the noise floor allows your system to reproduce more of what is in the recording, allowing you to hear more. Noise in the signal ground or AC power will mask data from your system that is on the original recording. Lowering the noise floor will usually in a dramatic way transform your system.

In my headphone and home system, SPDIF Coax sounds fuller and richer than Toslink (I like glass varieties). Performance will depend a lot on how good the converters are in your source and DAC or DDC for each of those connections.

Apr 20, 2024 at 3:28 PM Post #4,335 of 4,359

Users who are viewing this thread

Back