Alex Rosson--Audeze's CEO--on Bloomberg TV
May 27, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #61 of 91
I am not a fan of the HD800, but I have never heard speaker that is overall more resolving than the HD800.  I doubt a rubic cube sized speaker could compare to top end headphones, or even mid level ones.

May 27, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #62 of 91
I am not a fan of the HD800, but I have never heard speaker that is overall more resolving than the HD800.  I doubt a rubic cube sized speaker could compare to top end headphones, or even mid level ones.
Nobody is comparing these flagship headphones to the tiny powered speakers that people use around here. We're comparing them to top-end dynamic towers and planars/electrostats. It doesn't take a lot of money to get these speakers, a few thousand plus amp and DAC. Maybe two or three times the average flagship headphone system. Meanwhile, people are saying it is equal to speaker systems in the 30k-40k range. Scaling really isn't that bad. I would argue speakers trump headphones universally after a 5k budget for the whole system. In my opinion, even earlier... but that is personal preference.

May 27, 2014 at 1:03 AM Post #63 of 91
  So, meaning I should probably get a Kef LS50 before an HD800, or something like that.

I sure hope I don't sound like I'm saying that. I came from pretty decent to good speaker systems to headphones. The mantra back then here at headfi (circa 2004) was that for a fraction of the price you can outdo the performance of *** speaker system that would cost many tends of thousands of dollars. Wow. I was hooked. I agree that sound is awesome. The LCD-X are my favourite open headphones by a far margin. The performance you can get from them even through a modest amp and DAC is far beyond what was imaginable a few years ago. 

But they are headphones still and will never be speakers. I just bought my own place (after years of nomading around) and am ready to invest more heavily into a permanent home system. Headphones complement, but do not replace speakers. The reverse is also true.

May 27, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #64 of 91
I think your being a little hard on him. He had like 15-20 seconds to justify a beats loving mass audience to pay over a thousand for a set of headphones. Also while I agree comparing a set of headphones to speakers is awkward because of inherent differences. It's not unreasonable to have a preference for one or the other. After all they both have the same goal of accurate sound reproduction and audeze competes w/ high end speakers for a fraction of the price.

May 27, 2014 at 4:00 AM Post #65 of 91
I think your being a little hard on him. He had like 15-20 seconds to justify a beats loving mass audience to pay over a thousand for a set of headphones. Also while I agree comparing a set of headphones to speakers is awkward because of inherent differences. It's not unreasonable to have a preference for one or the other. After all they both have the same goal of accurate sound reproduction and audeze competes w/ high end speakers for a fraction of the price.

Well why the hell is he catering to the yuppies? Don't they have enough people catering to them already? If you look at his website he is def. catering to drum and bass producers, dj's, ravers. Maybe if it was house or trance I could see a little bit of the yuppie angle but drum and bass... I've been a junglist producer and dj for a while now and a raver since Crackman in 99' and I have to say us "heads" are dirty, filthy, grimey, nasty people who def. do not consider themselves yuppies. He might be making more sales and more money now but I'm fairly certain inside his own ambassador list the word phony is being thrown around. 

Ah, but you forgot Macklemore. :p
https://twitter.com/Audeze/status/386201188729106432

I didn't realise Amon Tobin is in their list. I do like his music I must admit. Great stuff.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHDYC6WP2jo[/video]

May 27, 2014 at 4:36 AM Post #66 of 91
Ah, but you forgot Macklemore. :p
https://twitter.com/Audeze/status/386201188729106432

I didn't realise Amon Tobin is in their list. I do like his music I must admit. Great stuff.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHDYC6WP2jo[/video]
At first I was like mother of God, then I realized that they are probably the sound engineer's and this is likely a publicity stunt considering Audeze tweeted it :p.

May 27, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #67 of 91
Well why the hell is he catering to the yuppies? Don't they have enough people catering to them already? If you look at his website he is def. catering to drum and bass producers, dj's, ravers. Maybe if it was house or trance I could see a little bit of the yuppie angle but drum and bass... I've been a junglist producer and dj for a while now and a raver since Crackman in 99' and I have to say us "heads" are dirty, filthy, grimey, nasty people who def. do not consider themselves yuppies. He might be making more sales and more money now but I'm fairly certain inside his own ambassador list the word phony is being thrown around. 

Well the interview was on Bloomberg TV not an audiophile forum like headfi tv. So regardless of his website's image, Im gonna say he is just trying to sell as many headphones to as manu people as he can irrespective of whether they are "drum and bass producers"

And he's catering to them because they represent a much larger market share.

May 28, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #69 of 91
May 28, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #70 of 91
Well the interview was on Bloomberg TV not an audiophile forum like headfi tv. So regardless of his website's image, Im gonna say he is just trying to sell as many headphones to as manu people as he can irrespective of whether they are "drum and bass producers"

And he's catering to them because they represent a much larger market share.

May 28, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #71 of 91
I'm sorry, but this news cast really had nothing to do with headphones or reaching their target market.  It was about a growing industry and business that gained a lot of attention in the markets because of the Apple buy.  It could have been cattle feed or headphones and been the same interview - Ie. it was about the business of "high-end" headphones from the point of view of from an investor, not about the actual product.  The line was showcased only to highlight the general price point that it represents.  Before this big buy out, headphone makers were of little interest to investors and this caught a lot of peoples attention.  That's it.

May 28, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #72 of 91
Well couldn't he have just sent joe rogan a bag of dmt and a Rhonda rousey poster and get some tv/internet exposure on his show. Would have fit his crowd better imo. If jude had not made this front page news I never would have watched it.

I'm sure Alex would be devastated to hear of your disapproval and disinterest.

May 28, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #73 of 91

Well couldn't he have just sent joe rogan a bag of dmt and a Rhonda rousey poster and get some tv/internet exposure on his show. Would have fit his crowd better imo. If jude had not made this front page news I never would have watched it.

jibzilla, have you ever been to a Head-Fi Meet? If you have, then you know you might shake the hand of a broke student into classical music, a multimillionaire businessman into dance music, a world-famous novelist (yes, one has quietly snuck into one of the meets I attended, and has written reviews here, though not in a while), and just about every kind of person you could imagine. The cool thing about it is that they all get along, and often become friends, the common bond (sometimes the only common bond) being headphone audio and a love of music.

I am not a junglist producer. I am not a DJ. I listen to just about every kind of music. I am obviously into audio, too, and one of my reference headphones is the Audeze LCD-X.

(By the way, I think I saw your name on the Chicago "Chi-Unifi" Meet list, so I look forward to meeting you next month.)

May 28, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #74 of 91
In all the massive Apple-buying-Beats coverage on CNBC (and some elsewhere), I've heard zero discussion of the quality of Beats phones, or the fact that Apple may be trying to get users a better listening experience than those ubiquitous IEMs.
But CNBC goes constantly in-depth about the details of the Apple phones vs. Samsung or IOS vs. Android or even Windows and Blackberry sometimes, so it's not like they just cover the business side.

I have not seen one person on CNBC try on a pair of Beats with an iPhone to see how it sounds.

May 28, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #75 of 91
In all the massive Apple-buying-Beats coverage on CNBC (and some elsewhere), I've heard zero discussion of the quality of Beats phones, or the fact that Apple may be trying to get users a better listening experience than those ubiquitous IEMs.
But CNBC goes constantly in-depth about the details of the Apple phones vs. Samsung or IOS vs. Android or even Windows and Blackberry sometimes, so it's not like they just cover the business side.

I have not seen one person on CNBC try on a pair of Beats with an iPhone to see how it sounds.
Well it's like that in every industry. They dumb it down so regular consumers can understand, but that also means they barely say anything important about the product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back