Alessandro Vs. Grado
Jun 30, 2009 at 11:41 AM Post #16 of 27
This question comes up in numerous threads here - ultimately, Aussies have a pretty clear choice : pay reasonable prices for the Alessandro range (possiblde exception being the Ms-Pro) or pay exorbitant prices for Grado. No-brainer for most of us.

Jun 30, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #17 of 27
I have never owned the SR-125 or SR-80, but I have owned the MS-1, SR-60 and SR-225. The MS-1 seemed more "balanced" to my ears, as did the 225 in comparison to the SR-60. I currently own the RS-2 which is more colored than the MS-1 but it is all preference whether you like the colored sound of the grado prestige and reference line versus the tweaked neutral sound of the MS-1, 2 or Pro.

Jun 30, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Headphile
I would bet Alessandro drivers are given an extra coat or two (or vice versa the Grado's) of whatever substance they spray on the driver membrane, which effects the overall sound. Interesting reading about it, but I can't recall where...

That part of the old thread is very interesting for me personally, as I have listened to approx. a dozen Alessandros (partly side by side) and experienced quite a bandwidth of "how to sound".

If such a spray job is done by hand (and I bet it is, Grado is a garage company), it explains such quality spreads.

Jun 30, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This question comes up in numerous threads here - ultimately, Aussies have a pretty clear choice : pay reasonable prices for the Alessandro range (possiblde exception being the Ms-Pro) or pay exorbitant prices for Grado. No-brainer for most of us.

You can get resale grado from various places in australia.
I still prefer the alessandro sound which tames the highs vs a grado IMO.

Jul 1, 2009 at 12:14 AM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnielee54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At one time I had MS1's, 325i's, and Sr80's. Kept the MS1's and sold the rest. The MS1's are a keeper.

x2

Jul 1, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bosch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a chance that because the SR-325 and MS-2 are similar headphones, not many people actually own both of them. I have the SR-325 and therefore would not bother getting the MS-2 as well...unless I sold the Grado in favour of the slightly darker MS-2 sound - that is to say, in comparison to the SR-325, or so I've read. But this might be unnecessary if you can experiment with different ear pad, amp, source, and cable combinations to get one that works for a particular headphone's characteristics.

Perhaps you can search for comments about both headphones separately and then try to assimilate the information.

I have the MS2i and true enuf, i find it on the same level as SR325i and would not wan to own "duplicates" phones.

WOuld love to hear on the comparsm too.

BUMP!

Feb 22, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #25 of 27
I think the difference between Alessandro and Grado has closed again a bit with the "e" series, which are the most neutral Grados since Joe was alive, IMHO.  I couldn't hear the difference between the SR325e and MS2 at all.  The MSPro MS2 comes with a 1/4" plug, which some people may prefer to Grado going all in on 3.5mm terminations.  I think we are at the point where model to model variations are larger than the varitions between brands at this point.

The MS1 and SR125e are very close in sound, with the MS1 being a bit cheaper.  

Oct 13, 2016 at 1:20 AM Post #26 of 27
Super-late to an old thread here...but just adding my 2 x cents as I listen to "In Rainbows" by Radiohead.

My first Grados were the GH-1's which I picked up about 6-months ago - they're my reference point, and my # 1 love. Light as a feather, amazing guitars and vocals - shine on rock. 

Found a pair of MS2's for a song on the 2nd hand market, given I'm already a fan of the brand, look and sound I couldn't help it. They're slightly heavier - not uncomfortably, but when leaning backwards they want to fall off. I have smallish ears, meaning the Grado L-cup has never been a problem for me in the comfort department. They're smoother, less forward mids/highs and have a faster, punchier low-end. I'd describe them as less 'exciting', but more intimate. 

Out of a Little Dot 1+ tube amp, they're smooth as butter. My go-to for jazz, classical...and Radiohead. Thom Yorke's voice is nothing short of MAGIC out of the MS2's. It seriously takes me to another place. I did have them up on the forums to trade for a pair of HD6X0 but typing this out is making me consider keeping them...

Oct 4, 2020 at 8:11 AM Post #27 of 27
I'm not sure I understand the relationship between Alessandro and Grado. I know that they collarborate somehow and that many of their products look remarkably similiar, but that's all I know so far.

Can anyone explain to me how they work together and what the sound difference is between their models? For instance has anyone compared a MS-2 to a SR-325 or a MS-Pro to a RS-1? Any opinions on which is better?
The great thing about the Internet is that we have a record of the past. I was 2 days old when you started this thread lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back