Alessandro MS2i - still a good choice?
Jan 8, 2013 at 5:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

blacknile

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I've been out of the loop for a while, and was wondering if the Alessandro MS2i are still good value in their price range, or if they're instead obsolete. Has something cropped up in the last year or so which would make the choice of a MS2i fundamentally wrong? I'd mainly use it for rock, blues, acoustic jazz. Cheers

Jan 8, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #2 of 18
Still some of the very best!

Jan 8, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #3 of 18
would it be recommeded to get the MS2i as an upgrade to the MS1i? (i assume so since its similar in sound signature from what i read)

Jan 9, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:
would it be recommeded to get the MS2i as an upgrade to the MS1i? (i assume so since its similar in sound signature from what i read)

Absolutely! MS2i has a cleaner sound, more powerful sound and also more detail than the MS1i. It is something you can tell when you A/B them. Sound signature is still there but on steroid. People who find Grado too bright are likely listening to them too loud because they are open back so a lot of sound leaked in and in order to listen to more music (doesn't isolate) people power up the volume. I notice this because it is exactly my experience and when late at night or when it is quiet, it is very enjoyable. Sure they are brighter than many headphones but not that bright. For that reason, I have some closed back headphones when I need isolation.

Jan 9, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:
Hi,

I've been out of the loop for a while, and was wondering if the Alessandro MS2i are still good value in their price range, or if they're instead obsolete. Has something cropped up in the last year or so which would make the choice of a MS2i fundamentally wrong? I'd mainly use it for rock, blues, acoustic jazz. Cheers

I went from the Grado SR80i's to the Alessandro MS2i's, and they are a beutiful sounding headphone period!!! Their sound IMO is not Grado, they have a much warmer, fuller, richer sound with slightly more overall bass and a little more recessed mid's and a little less brighter, and are excellent for the genre's you mentioned. I currently traded the MS2i's for the SR325is because I preffered the more upfront sound and less overall bass and brighter sound of the Grado as compaired to the more laid back sound of the alessandro (I like to be attacked by the Grado's).By all mean's do not get me wrong in any way the MS2i's create beutiful sound without a doubt, one headphone is not by any mean's better than the other they just have different sound signature's, and I preffered the Grado's. If I wanted a more relaxed musical experience I would have kept the MS2i's and never looked back!!! Good luck, if you decide to purchase them you will not be dissapointed, enjoy them, they are a powerful,  musical experience!!!

They are a good choice anytime!!!

Jan 9, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #6 of 18
I want the MS-Pro....some day when will that come? 
happy_face1.gif

Jan 9, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #8 of 18
Jan 9, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #9 of 18
I would try to find a used pair. I got mine for $200 from a fellow member. For $300, I'd say it's a little harder to recommend them but they are very good for your choice in music.

Jan 9, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Some day... :)

All joking aside, I don't know if you've heard the MS2i or the MSpro, but you may want to consider giving the MS2i a try, they are truely spectacular performing headphone's for less than half the price of the MSpro's, you may get just a little bit of a wider soundstage out of them, but the MS2i's are just as much of a headphone as the MSpro price/performance wise. And as you may know in audio you can spend a substantial amount of more money for very little return. Like I mentioned in another post if I didn't like the attack the Grado SR325is's I wouldn't have looked to go any further than the MS2i (they where that rich,full and musical, but mellower than the Grado's. If you have the chance, demo both and you will hear what I'm talking about.
Also I know this is just a matter of personal opinion, but from post's I've read on this forum, alot of people actually preffered the MS2i over the MSpro!

Jan 9, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:
All joking aside, I don't know if you've heard the MS2i or the MSpro, but you may want to consider giving the MS2i a try, they are truely spectacular performing headphone's for less than half the price of the MSpro's, you may get just a little bit of a wider soundstage out of them, but the MS2i's are just as much of a headphone as the MSpro price/performance wise. And as you may know in audio you can spend a substantial amount of more money for very little return. Like I mentioned in another post if I didn't like the attack the Grado SR325is's I wouldn't have looked to go any further than the MS2i (they where that rich,full and musical, but mellower than the Grado's. If you have the chance, demo both and you will hear what I'm talking about.
Also I know this is just a matter of personal opinion, but from post's I've read on this forum, alot of people actually preffered the MS2i over the MSpro!

Check my signature below :) It's on my head now while I'm typing.
|
|
V

Now you can tell why I want a MS-Pro.

Jan 9, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:
WOW!!!
Ok now I see, I never bother to look at the sig's below, but now I'll make it a habit!
So it look's like the MSpro will definitly be on the list below!
Good luck, enjoy!

Yes complete the happy family unlike Grado so many models :B
My MSs but be missing their big brother very much haha.

Jan 11, 2013 at 7:05 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Hi 69er,

How do you compare MSpro and the MS2i in term of SQ? I saw comments about them being very similar, MSpro being smoother and tighter bass that's about all?
Do you also have the MSpro?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back