Alessandro MS-1 vs Grado SR-80
Mar 11, 2008 at 1:39 PM Post #31 of 42
I went with the SR-80 because I felt the sound was more balanced than the MS-1s when I compared them side by side. The MS-1s placed too much emphasis on the highs and didn't have that nice bass to balance out the sound. I also found them more fatiguing.

Mar 12, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #33 of 42
I havnt' but i have a friend going down to san fransisco who's agreed to pick me up some.

making this annoying, as before i had decided on the MS-1. Now they're equally attainable for a similar price within the same time period.

which once have a more fatiguing high?

Jul 9, 2009 at 2:29 PM Post #38 of 42
I heard from an other forum that

Grado Sr80 and Alessandro MS1 needs an AMP
and
Grado SR60 doesnt need an Amp
for portable sources such as an iPod..

I have a iPhone 3G (the integrated amp is like the ipod classic)

What would be better to get, without using an Amp the whole time?
(since I only have an e5)

Jul 9, 2009 at 2:32 PM Post #39 of 42
Not necessarily true. I drive my MS1s through an amp most of the time, but they get plenty of unamped time for sure. They sound fine. A general rule of thumb with grado's is an unamped Grado sounds good, an amped Grado sounds great, which is true for all Grados from SR60 to GS1000.

EDIT: You found the SR80 more balanced? That's odd...

Another edit: Wow this was gravedug.

Jul 9, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #40 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by revolink24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A general rule of thumb with grado's is an unamped Grado sounds good, an amped Grado sounds great, which is true for all Grados from SR60 to GS1000.

Also the same for the Alessandros?
atsmile.gif

Jul 9, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #41 of 42
Yeah, I've had very good luck with my Alessandros. Also, Alessandros are popular to try around here, so they can be sold at reasonable prices used here in the FS forum. An amp adds weight and transparency to mostly the mid/lower mid range, but detail is generally good overall on the Alessandros unamped.

Jul 9, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #42 of 42
Ah, the eternal question - Alessandro vs Grado. All I can say is that they are great from my Cowon and Sony players, but less powerful DAPs will work hard to drive them properly. Much prefer IEMs for portable use, but each to their own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back