Alessandro MS-1 vs Grado SR-80
Mar 9, 2008 at 5:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

Munky

New Head-Fier
I'm having trouble getting anybody to ship Grado headphones to Canada, (Dodging NAFTA seems like an American pastime) and all the local dealers are asking 180 for the Sr-80.

So Alessandro will probibly ship to Canada, and is a likely alternative. but whats the difference between them? I know they use the flat pads (and isn't that a downgrade?) but what else is different.

Mar 9, 2008 at 5:48 AM Post #2 of 42
I haven't heard either but from what i have read the SR80 have more bass and are more aggressive sounding while the MS-1 is more neutral and smooth. The MS-1 should sound better for a wider variety of music than the SR80.

Mar 9, 2008 at 7:45 AM Post #4 of 42
what trouble did you have with customs?

Is everyone having this much trouble? another idea i had was to order them from TTVJ and get him to send them to a drop point near the border and drive down to pick them up. If there is this much trouble i could bring back a couple.

and become a professional headphone smuggler.

Edit: Oh, never mind your from turkey.

Mar 9, 2008 at 8:09 AM Post #5 of 42
The MS1 is a can in between the Grado 80 and 125. MS1 carries different pads, those pads make the sound a little bit sweeter then Grado bowls. IMHO the MS1 is a bargain. Cost a lot less (Outside USA) and is a real Grado cans...

Mar 9, 2008 at 10:56 PM Post #7 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Munky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So its just not as bright sounding?

Less fun in my opinion, but better for more types of music. Regardless they are still fun sounding, but less fun sounding than the 80's. I listen to a lot of rock music so the "brightness" or harshness that people love to complain about doesn't bother me. The pads on the SR80's are better than the ones that come with the MS1's. The MS1's come with comfies (HORRIBLE) which are the worst pads that Grado offers. You may want to try out some bowls or flats. I personally prefer bowls on all the prestige series and Alessandro Music series. Flats makes every really muddy and bassy. Just my 2 cents.

Mar 10, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #10 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Munky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok well i plan to be using them for mostly rock, playing guitar, and gaming. Should i get the MS-1, or seek alternatives?

I think the sr80's have boomier bass while the ms-1's have better detail in the mids, pick whichever you're more into!

Mar 10, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #11 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ezer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
STEREOTYPE AUDIO is a Canadian based Grado dealer, and they sell the SR-80s for $119 canadian. That's still more than the U.S., but probably cheaper than some local dealers.

That or you could try the dxc store site. Stumbled upon their site because they are a headfi sponsor. Charged a very reasonable price for shipping too.

Mar 10, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #12 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Less fun in my opinion, but better for more types of music. Regardless they are still fun sounding, but less fun sounding than the 80's. I listen to a lot of rock music so the "brightness" or harshness that people love to complain about doesn't bother me. The pads on the SR80's are better than the ones that come with the MS1's. The MS1's come with comfies (HORRIBLE) which are the worst pads that Grado offers. You may want to try out some bowls or flats. I personally prefer bowls on all the prestige series and Alessandro Music series. Flats makes every really muddy and bassy. Just my 2 cents.

X2 on the pads. Ms1's sound better(more detail) with the bowls.

Mar 10, 2008 at 4:43 AM Post #14 of 42
Keep this in mind. While I haven't heard MS1's, the differences between Grado's models aren't immediately noticeable IMO. Between RS2's and SR80, the differences are subtle and not immediately noticeable. And that's quite the jump, not like the differences between going up to the next Grado/Alessandro on the ladder. So, take any of the comments about the sound differences being immensely different with a grain of salt (as you should with most ANY comment being made).

Granted, the differences are there, but they're definitely not as jump in your face or immediately noticeable without spending some serious time with each like it would be when jumping between other headphones of the same brand, i.e lower end Senns with HD600, the differences are majorly noticeable. Grado's don't do that.

So, unless you really have your heart set on one over the other, whichever one is easier for you to get, get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back