Alclair RSM Quad Custom In-Ear Monitor Impressions Thread [ These are REALLY worth checking out ]
Feb 1, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #481 of 522
Thanks!

Ah, yeah I forget to mention source. I've been listening mostly out of my iPhone X, iPhone 6 and O2+ODAC and the S4 sounds great with all of them. My review is based on those sources. I also tried them straight out of my Dell XPS 15 a few times, and I think it exaggerated the boominess a little more. I definitely didn't enjoy them as much straight out of the laptop, but I don't think the sound card in that laptop is very good, which is probably why. I do think that the S4s might be a little more sensitive to the poor source than some of my other headphones though (e.g. M50x and SE215 still sound pretty decent straight out of the XPS 15).
Just a little suggestion, if you come across a DAP with a Sabre DAC you should give it a whirl, it brings out some of what you were missing from the above review. Most phones are tilted to the warm side as that's what the general public likes. My RSMs with my Fiio X7ii and or Onkyo DP-X1 are a match made in heaven! great synergy. I have heard all the new ones from Alclair as Im only 15 minutes away and stop by every few months to say hi and see what is new.

Feb 1, 2018 at 9:31 PM Post #482 of 522
Just a little suggestion, if you come across a DAP with a Sabre DAC you should give it a whirl, it brings out some of what you were missing from the above review. Most phones are tilted to the warm side as that's what the general public likes. My RSMs with my Fiio X7ii and or Onkyo DP-X1 are a match made in heaven! great synergy. I have heard all the new ones from Alclair as Im only 15 minutes away and stop by every few months to say hi and see what is new.

Appreciate the tip! I'll definitely have to try that out sometime.

Feb 1, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #484 of 522
Have you had the chance to hear the NT6?

Unfortunately, I haven't heard the NT6 yet, but I did actually have a pair in my possession for a short time (long story). I got to measure them on my modest little portable measurement rig and have EQ'd my SE215s and K702 Annies based on both my measurements and other people's measurements I've found online to give me a taste of how they would sound at least in terms of tonal balance. I know it's not as good as hearing the real thing, but combined with the countless reviews I've read, I do feel confident that I have a reasonably good idea of how they sound.

Mar 27, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #488 of 522
I still love and swear by my RSMs. But I’m excited to do some A/B’ing with my new studio 4s. The studio 4s have three bores which allows for separate filters for each 'way' of the 3-way. I'm not certain if there are any changes in the drivers or the circuit. They also come with an upgraded cable.

I've only spent a couple hours with the studio 4s so far, but they are clearly superior. :|

Just a quick example:

On Sevendust's Double Wide acoustic album "Rumble Fish", the studio 4s clearly show me the guitars from the PA AND the stage amplification. I can distinctly hear the separation between the two sources. I think this is because they are staged so well. I do not hear this with the RSMs. I am very familiar with this album (it's fun. check it out) and I've always interpreted this as a strange room echo from the acoustic guitars. The studio 4s show me so much more.

I'm going to take my time and work through a dozen songs or so. I'm really enjoying this and have zero buyers remorse on these Studio 4s at all. I'm really quite shocked so far.

IMG_4232.JPG

IMG_4233.JPG

IMG_4234.JPG

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #489 of 522
I still love and swear by my RSMs. But I’m excited to do some A/B’ing with my new studio 4s. The studio 4s have three bores which allows for separate filters for each 'way' of the 3-way. I'm not certain if there are any changes in the drivers or the circuit. They also come with an upgraded cable.

I've only spent a couple hours with the studio 4s so far, but they are clearly superior. :|

Just a quick example:

On Sevendust's Double Wide acoustic album "Rumble Fish", the studio 4s clearly show me the guitars from the PA AND the stage amplification. I can distinctly hear the separation between the two sources. I think this is because they are staged so well. I do not hear this with the RSMs. I am very familiar with this album (it's fun. check it out) and I've always interpreted this as a strange room echo from the acoustic guitars. The studio 4s show me so much more.

I'm going to take my time and work through a dozen songs or so. I'm really enjoying this and have zero buyers remorse on these Studio 4s at all. I'm really quite shocked so far.

It looks like that cable is made by Forza Audioworks, very nice indeed :)

Apr 5, 2018 at 7:49 PM Post #492 of 522
Did you guys see the announcement of the electrostatic tweeter?! :beerchug:

https://www.facebook.com/AlclairAudio/posts/1803228953077534
I went to Alclair today as I wanted to get my CIEMs reshelled and while I was there I got to listen to the electrostatic and was just blown away on how good everything sounds .The Highs and mids are just so fluid sounding, very smooth yet detailed. I only listened to one song but I think I might need to get these.

Apr 6, 2018 at 2:45 AM Post #493 of 522
I went to Alclair today as I wanted to get my CIEMs reshelled and while I was there I got to listen to the electrostatic and was just blown away on how good everything sounds .The Highs and mids are just so fluid sounding, very smooth yet detailed. I only listened to one song but I think I might need to get these.

I'm still waiting to hear more about the Rev X!

Apr 6, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #494 of 522
Nice! It's pretty good. I know Marc is still working on it.

The Rev X is good in its own right but it's meant for stage use. It's no audiophile monitor like the Studio3 and Studio4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back